Hunt Talk Radio - Look for it on your favorite Podcast platform

What is the maximum point-blank range of the "lowly" .22 Long Rifle Rimfire?

TomTeriffic

Let's say you have a finer .22 like the CZ 457 American. I don't know how many yards a Ruger 10/22 will shoot accurately. I got rid of my Remington Nylon 66 in 1996 as it jammed a lot. I dare say a good twenty-two bolt gun will outshoot any low-end auto for tight groups at range. A Ruger 10/22 might be great for walking around a barnyard policing rats but then again it might do OK out to some range. I have no experience with them. Let's also say you have a Harris bipod and a decent 3x9 32mm scope. I have a Bushnell Banner in that power and objective already. I have small varmints in mind like squirrel, chucks, prairie dog and gopher. Maybe even a fox in an open field.

Why the .22 over a center-fire rifle for "rats"? Rimfire ammo is just so cheap. Why a 457 American? It looks rather pretty for a .22 bolt gun under $600 new retail and has that Mauser style palm-able bolt handle I so love. A Ruger 10/22 is no looker.

You can save yourself some money and leave the bipod, scope, and even remove the sights for " point blank " range. If you are only using it for " point blank " range you can go to Harbor Freight and pick up a quality angle grinder to remove the said sights as they are not used for "point blank " range.

If you put the barrel in a vise and hammer the last 6 inches "up" about 1/2 out of alignment with the breach, you can get another 100 yards out of it. I sight my 22 in at 147 yards. Why 147? Because that's how far it is to my neighbors deck and I hate his cat, who shits in my kids sand box. I've only hit his goose twice and the cat door once. I will get that SOB.

Last edited:
Oh my $*)Q!#@$ gawd!!!! Does it ever quit?!??!?!?
Hey guys what are your thoughts about the daisy red rider? I know they are so pretty and neat but the millennials came out with a pretty good CO2 pellet rifle. Would I be better to go pistol? The pistols have way neater lettering but I think the rifle would get my collared dove better if that was legal here. Also way more meat to grind with air, as I feel the co2 would have too much velocity and ultimately I just want some meat to smash up and smother in a terrible, highly acidic sauce to make sure I can’t taste what I killed with my “neatly” engraved POS!!!!! Oh yeah, that I purchased for less than 1/3 of what it was probably worth. UGH!!!!!!!!!!!!!

If you put the barrel in a vise and hammer the last 6 inches "up" about 1/2 out of alignment with the breach, you can get another 100 yards out of it. I sight my 22 in at 147 yards. Why 147? Because that's how far it is to my neighbors deck and I hate his cat, who shits in my kids sand box. I've only hit his goose twice and the cat door once. I will get that SOB.
That’s the funniest post I’ve read in quite a while.

That’s the funniest post I’ve read in quite a while.
That’s awesome!!!!
If you got the cat door, it’s only a matter of time before that pussy sticks it’s head out!!!
Pretty sure if you had better lettering though, you could sight it in at 136 and even hit the door with the drift. That’s a long ways to drag the cat though if you get it.

OP...what was your question again?

What is the maximum point-blank range of the .22 Long Rifle Rimfire?​

It was right in the heading. I'm seeking serious technical knowledge. Maybe I need to read a good varminting book that covers rimfire ballistics.

Better question yet, how far out can one shoot a gopher with no hold-over/under adjustments in aim? Somebody here must have experience varminting with a .22 LR.

I really don't know squat about .22 shooting past 25 yards with iron sights.

Last edited:

What is the maximum point-blank range of the .22 Long Rifle Rimfire?​

It was right in the heading. I'm seeking serious technical knowledge. Maybe I need to read a good varminting book that covers rimfire ballistics.

Better question yet, how far out can one shoot a gopher with no hold-over/under adjustments in aim? Somebody here must have experience varminting with a .22 LR.
THE LENGTH OF THE BULLET IS THE MAX POINT BLANK RANGE!

You can save yourself some money and leave the bipod, scope, and even remove the sights for " point blank " range. If you are only using it for " point blank " range you can go to Harbor Freight and pick up a quality angle grinder to remove the said sights as they are not used for "point blank " range.
I already own a Harris bipod clone, about 20% the price of a genuine Harris, and two minty unused scopes with no rifles: a Bushnell and a Leupold. The Bushnell is for my future varmint rifle and the Leupold is for my future deer rifle.

Maximum Point Blank Range explained:

source:
Maximum point-blank range (MPBR) is the distance (in yards) a projectile (bullet) can travel without rising or falling more than a predetermined measurement above or below the point of aim. For most North American big game, from white-tailed deer to moose, an acceptable trajectory allowance is 6" (up or down 3" from the point of aim).

I suspect for targets smaller than deer we want an even smaller measurement above or below the point of aim. Is it possible to humanely take a squirrel out to 200 yards with a scoped CZ 457 American in .22 LR with no hold-over/under adjustments provided there is zero value wind? Maybe 150 yards? Maybe only 100 yards? One also has to consider if there is sufficient down-range velocity for a humane kill.

Last edited:
Back