Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping System

What is the maximum point-blank range of the "lowly" .22 Long Rifle Rimfire?

What is the maximum point-blank range of the .22 Long Rifle Rimfire?​

It was right in the heading. I'm seeking serious technical knowledge. Maybe I need to read a good varminting book that covers rimfire ballistics.

Better question yet, how far out can one shoot a gopher with no hold-over/under adjustments in aim? Somebody here must have experience varminting with a .22 LR.

I really don't know squat about .22 shooting past 25 yards with iron sights.

This is a question that can actually be seriously answered. It's about 100 yards with most ammo. Bullet rises only about 2" above point of aim between 0-100 yards and drops more than 3" within 15 or so yards after that.

How might one get respect as a serious poster here? I would rather first study up prospective guns, calibers and loads before laying money down. My OP is targeting those experienced in varmint shooting with .22's for some input. Maybe some here can share their experience or is this just another two-bit hunting forum like dozens of others out there.

How might one get respect as a serious poster here? I would rather first study up prospective guns, calibers and loads before laying money down. My OP is targeting those experienced in varmint shooting with .22's for some input. Maybe some here can share their experience or is this just another two-bit hunting forum like dozens of others out there.

Don't post stuff like this -

"Everything used to be so beautiful and good as gold and diamond solid out of the factory 50-75 years ago until younger generations of spoiled punks came along and screwed up the world as we know it."

Or this-

"Younger generations have lost an appreciation of wood and blued steel. Young people don't know what is good. Young people are spoiled, lazy and have no work ethic."

Or, you know, any of the other stuff you've said in the last two days.

"Everything used to be so beautiful and good as gold and diamond solid out of the factory 50-75 years ago until younger generations of spoiled punks came along and screwed up the world as we know it."

Or this-

"Younger generations have lost an appreciation of wood and blued steel. Young people don't know what is good. Young people are spoiled, lazy and have no work ethic."

Two days?!?!?!? Haha

But yes!!! Exactly
Slow down. One question or opinion at a time, and LISTEN when people try and give real genuine answers. Argue and insult just brings out the humorous retaliation. But proceed as you wish OP. It’s all gold in the end. 😂

This is a question that can actually be seriously answered. It's about 100 yards with most ammo. Bullet rises only about 2" above point of aim between 0-100 yards and drops more than 3" within 15 or so yards after that.
Thank you, stk. That's all I need to know. Quite simply I should keep a .22 for gophers and such within a football field length to be an ethical sportsman. I believe your answer. Perhaps the scoped .22 LR for small varmints should also be zeroed in at 100 yards? 100 yards seems to have always been par for the course for most American deer hunters as well.

Or this-

OK, I will try my dog-gone-dest from now on to keep emotions and personal opinions out of postings and to stick to hard firearms and hunting facts. I have not insulted anybody's dog, car, truck, family, wife, children or girlfriend. Perhaps YOUR own children are nothing like I had described young people in general. I'm sorry if I have offended anybody's guns.

That's my New Year's resolution and let's now move forward and have a fun, legal AND safe hunting and shooting sports future!

I already own a Harris bipod clone, about 20% the price of a genuine Harris, and two minty unused scopes with no rifles: a Bushnell and a Leupold. The Bushnell is for my future varmint rifle and the Leupold is for my future deer rifle.

Maximum Point Blank Range explained:

source:
Maximum point-blank range (MPBR) is the distance (in yards) a projectile (bullet) can travel without rising or falling more than a predetermined measurement above or below the point of aim. For most North American big game, from white-tailed deer to moose, an acceptable trajectory allowance is 6" (up or down 3" from the point of aim).

I suspect for targets smaller than deer we want an even smaller measurement above or below the point of aim. Is it possible to humanely take a squirrel out to 200 yards with a scoped CZ 457 American in .22 LR with no hold-over/under adjustments provided there is zero value wind? Maybe 150 yards? Maybe only 100 yards? One also has to consider if there is sufficient down-range velocity for a humane kill.
With a steady hand and some practice, you can even use the angle grinder to jewel the barrel. Makes for a sweet looking rifle.

What is the maximum point-blank range of the .22 Long Rifle Rimfire?​

It was right in the heading. I'm seeking serious technical knowledge. Maybe I need to read a good varminting book that covers rimfire ballistics.

Better question yet, how far out can one shoot a gopher with no hold-over/under adjustments in aim? Somebody here must have experience varminting with a .22 LR.

I really don't know squat about .22 shooting past 25 yards with iron sights.
Conversely, is there a minimum furthest distance on this?

OK, I will try my dog-gone-dest from now on to keep emotions and personal opinions out of postings and to stick to hard firearms and hunting facts. I have not insulted anybody's dog, car, truck, family, wife, children or girlfriend. Perhaps YOUR own children are nothing like I had described young people in general. I'm sorry if I have offended anybody's guns.

That's my New Year's resolution and let's now move forward and have a fun, legal AND safe hunting and shooting sports future!
You talk like a man who has been hunting, shooting, polishing rifle barrels, etc. for 50, maybe 70 years. And yet your knowledge and wisdom stinks of one of the rotten youths of today. It is very confusing.

You talk like a man who has been hunting, shooting, polishing rifle barrels, etc. for 50, maybe 70 years. And yet your knowledge and wisdom stinks of one of the rotten youths of today. It is very confusing.
Ok, I'm 57. I will humble down my tone here from now on. IMHO, we don't have to have many years under our belts of actually doing anything to know what "looks attractive" in our eyes. I can humbly say the lines of Boeing 727 tri-engine T-tail jet look beautiful though I will never be an airplane pilot over my lifetime. I hope I have not offended any Piper Cub or McDonnel Douglas aircraft fans here! :LOL:

Conversely, is there a minimum furthest distance on this?
I bought that Remington Nylon 66 new in 1988 and it was my first gun ever. $105 new at Big Five with a cheesy Tasco scope thrown inside the green Remmy box. I never fired it much and never fired it past 25 yards with iron sights. I never used a scope on it except to try to sight the thing in. That Tasco scope that came with it was pure junk.Was all over the place at 25 yards. Couldn't even keep the shots on the paper. The 66 also jammed too much to make shooting pleasant. The bolt was sticky. I did bag a stray peacock (at only 5 yards) that was trespassing on my county property way back in 1992 using that same Nylon 66. The damm bird would jump up on my truck and scratch the paint.

PS - Has anybody here actually gotten a decent scope included with any new gun? I've heard from a number of sources that included scopes tend to be junk.

Last edited:
I bought that Remington Nylon 66 new in 1988 and it was my first gun ever. I never fired it much and never fired it past 25 yards with iron sights. It jammed too much to make shooting pleasant. I did bag a stray peacock that was trespassing on my county property way back in 1992 using that same Nylon 66. The damm bird would jump up on my truck and scratch the paint.
Curious the distance on your peacock plunking?

This is also the kind of chit people find confusing…you’re talking about having sufficient down range velocity to humanely kill…a gopher🤦🏼
I thought this should be a forum of ethical sportsmen. I took an NRA hunter safety course in 1996 and was taught ethics in class. When I shot ground squirrels on a man's ranch, we both walked down to each and every animal to check out results. Like the munchkin coroner checking out the freshly-flying-house-crushed wicked witch of the west sporting ruby "there's-no-place-like-home" shoes, click, click, click, we made sure our targets were verily dead. Guys who bang away 10 times at the same 400-yard chuck without ever hiking down to check results drive me nuts. This practice also bothered Ken Warner, the editor of the 1993 Guns Digest annual. Please see his article, A Modest Proposal. He states the biggest problem with American hunters was "too many rounds fired". It was not, according to Mr. Warner, that there were too many hunters, not enough game and not enough accessible land to hunt them on.

What type of person keeps this up with the responses that HT keeps providing? I mean there has to be a "gotcha!" moment or maybe just some unusually large need for attention mixed with zero online experience? Or just a big giant joke. I don't get it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
winchester 73
Back