What is the best quality OTC tag in the west (mule deer, elk, pronghorn)?

Couldn't agree more, seems like the guys with the most "luck" are putting in the most time. And often aren't in the know prime areas.
⬆️ This, 100%! Lots of those guys on HuntTalk as well. Put in the effort and you will be successful.

CO has great OTC tags for elk and lots of available units to during those seasons. I was living in Denver and recently moved to Cheyenne for work, but went down to Durango and the San Juan National Forest with a buddy for OTC 3rd rifle season and there were people around. Wish I'd had a deer tag as they were everywhere but didn't get an elk as a blizzard came through that weekend. But you can be a resident or non-resident and go buy them OTC easy. No limits on the number available. For 2020 CPW had 3 OTC rifle seasons, you may be able to get an archery tag but not 100% sure. Plenty of units and areas to go with an OTC tag tho that's for sure, just check what units are available and you can take your pick from any of them!

Does anyone know if Wyoming does OTC for deer? Seems like they do from their general tag and "umlimited" OTC description on WGF website but I'm not 100% sure if they do

Awesome! Are they like CO where there's certain units and dates for them or how do they work? Was wondering if I should put in for the draw or just snag an OTC this year as I am a resident

Wyoming doe antelope, seriously. No, they're not OTC, they're draw, but I've picked up leftover tags the last two years for a couple of units, and I've seen antelope each time, granted, this season was dry, saw a few, but didn't connect. I did learn where a couple buck antelope like to hang out, and I learned where a few mule deer like to lay around during the day.

Awesome! Are they like CO where there's certain units and dates for them or how do they work? Was wondering if I should put in for the draw or just snag an OTC this year as I am a resident
You can purchase a general tag and hunt any general unit in the state. Be aware that many units have different seasons so take a look at the regs for the units you plan to hunt.

You can purchase a general tag and hunt any general unit in the state. Be aware that many units have different seasons so take a look at the regs for the units you plan to hunt.
The general tags are from the draw? Yeah I wanted an antelope and deer tag this year, maybe an elk if time allows, but was trying to figure out of deer OTC was a thing here or if the draw was the way to go to be sure.

The general tags are from the draw? Yeah I wanted an antelope and deer tag this year, maybe an elk if time allows, but was trying to figure out of deer OTC was a thing here or if the draw was the way to go to be sure.
Antelope is draw only for both residents and nonresidents. Residents can purchase General deer and elk tags over-the-counter without entering the draw. Personally, my strategy as a resident is to apply for some low-odds draw units for deer and elk, and when that inevitably fails - pick up my general tags.

Antelope is draw only for both residents and nonresidents. Residents can purchase General deer and elk tags over-the-counter without entering the draw. Personally, my strategy as a resident is to apply for some low-odds draw units for deer and elk, and when that inevitably fails - pick up my general tags.
Makes sense, seems like a solid strategy since the general and OTC tags can be purchased regardless of draw outcomes. Do the WY resident OTC tags work similar to CO? There it was for a certain season but CPW listed available units the tag could be used for, which usually was a lot of them and they had unlimited available.

WY resident deer and elk general tags. That and easy to draw antope tags as a resident are why I chose wyoming over other western states when I moved from NJ.

Makes sense so as a resident just apply for the general deer and elk and pick decent units for antelope for the draw? Kinda same reason here and also wasn't super far for me to move from CO so it worked out

Caribou Gear

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clamwc
Back