What is the best piece of advice tht you have ever been given?

Saw a funny one today that reminded me of old times. " If your gonna be dumb. You better be tough".

Not a snappy saying, but a mentality.

Early on I understood the value of money and why saving is important. Started saving for collage at 14, went to a reasonable priced 4 year school, picked a major with high income potential, graduated debt free, save way more than most for retirement, only debt is a mortgage, etc.

Got all of that from the old man. He worked seasonal construction, so he had to save up enough during the summer months to last through the winter when he was unemployed.

I know that this thread is for advice you have received however, I provide some for my kids that I hope they keep. I don't remember receiving anything specifically that sticks with me.

For words of advise, I tell my kids (son and daughter) this every time I leave for an extended trip:
-Always trust in God
-It's never wrong to do the right thing
-Take care of the girls (to my son)
-Take care of Mom and your brother (to my daughter)

Whenever I was working on a project my grandpa would always come over and say "you know what a guy could do......." and he was usually right

"Even a broken clock is right twice a day"

"Don't look a gift horse in the mouth"

"If you meet an a-hole in the morning, then you probably met an a-hole. If you meet a-holes all day long, the you are probably the a-hole"

"There are three types of people: those who make things happen, those who watch things happen, and those who wonder what the hell just happened. Don't be the last type"

The most powerful piece of advice was at a funeral. We were eating after the service and I was talking to my dad about where I was going ice fishing in the evening. An old gentleman in a wheelchair with an oxygen tank perks up and tells me "go fishing, go as much as you can. I worked so many hours when I was young thinking I would have plenty of time to fish when I retire, now look at me." That really stuck with me, I see so many people working ridiculous hours and I wonder if they will regret that when they are older. That, or maybe its my excuse for being a lazy fish bum

“If it floats, flies or ####s it’s usually cheaper to rent”. “Don’t build a watch when someone asks for the time”. ”learn from others mistakes”

Hey Guys, what is the best piece of advice that you have ever been given? Whether it has anything to do with hunting or not. My two grandfathers gave me mine.

"Don't ever go out without a coat and something to drink in your truck, you never know when you are going to be cold or thirsty." Grandpa Osborn

"Don't go hunting without a pocket full of shells and a lighter." Grandpa Tuck

I don't know how many times that I have taken advantage of these pieces of advice, dozens probably. But i can tell you with great detail about the times that I didn't listen!
Better to ask for forgiveness than to ask for permission

Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HUNT7503
Back