MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

What is the best 20 gauge rifled slug?

Franchi4ever

Hi I live in Florida where we have a serious pig infestation and I have a 20 gauge shotgun I use for skeet and I was wanting to do some hunting with it and was wondering what is the best rifled slugs for pig hunting also you experience hunting boar and dear with a 20

Hi I live in Florida where we have a serious pig infestation and I have a 20 gauge shotgun I use for skeet and I was wanting to do some hunting with it and was wondering what is the best rifled slugs for pig hunting also you experience hunting boar and dear with a 20
I use Remington Accu-tip , sabots however, for my 20 gauge. Work great.

Both of those responses are jacketed sabots which won’t work in your barrel. Just use the cheap old Remington sluggers or cheap Winchesters. Whichever shoots the closest to center with your bead. Either one will do a number on a hog under 75 yards.

Both of those responses are jacketed sabots which won’t work in your barrel. Just use the cheap old Remington sluggers or cheap Winchesters. Whichever shoots the closest to center with your bead. Either one will do a number on a hog under 75 yards.
PLEASE show me anything that says they cannot be used in his shotgun.

They will fire but you won’t hit the broad side of a barn. To shoot a non rifled slug you need a rifled barrel or rifled choke to shoot them.

He has a skeet barrel and needs a rifled slug to get a spin to keep the slugs from tumbling. Zero sense in paying 15 dollars a box when a 3 dollar a box is what he needs.

Last edited:
Indiana used to be shotgun and muzzleloader only for deer. As a result, I've shot a fair number of both deer and hogs with shotgun slugs, mostly out of a 12 gauge with a rifled barrel.

I never did any accuracy testing, but the general consensus among deer hunters here was that rifled slugs shot best in smooth bores and that sabots shot best in rifled barrels.

I have used a smooth bore 20 gauge with Winchester rifled slugs, worked fine at 50 yards and in.

Any well placed slug, 20 or 12 gauge, is going to be devastating on a hog sized animal. I'd buy the cheap slugs, and if you can hit a pie plate at 50 yards you're good to go.

The nice thing about hogs is that as long as they don't smell you, you can usually walk right in close to them.

Just shoot a Remington slugger. I have had the best luck with IC chokes in my Franchi 20. My niece killed her first deer with that set up this fall.

I shoot Federal 3" 1 1/4 oz. out of my Benelli. They are what it liked best. Took my foe in IL with them this year. Get a box each of selection slugs a n.v d see what yours likes.

Welcome to HT! Buy whatever is cheapest for hogs. At standard shotgun distances with open sights, I doubt you'll be able to tell the difference.

Thanks just saw your post thanks for you Commentary and you don’t think I need a vary high power slug for pigs

Indiana used to be shotgun and muzzleloader only for deer. As a result, I've shot a fair number of both deer and hogs with shotgun slugs, mostly out of a 12 gauge with a rifled barrel.

I never did any accuracy testing, but the general consensus among deer hunters here was that rifled slugs shot best in smooth bores and that sabots shot best in rifled barrels.

I have used a smooth bore 20 gauge with Winchester rifled slugs, worked fine at 50 yards and in.

Any well placed slug, 20 or 12 gauge, is going to be devastating on a hog sized animal. I'd buy the cheap slugs, and if you can hit a pie plate at 50 yards you're good to go.

The nice thing about hogs is that as long as they don't smell you, you can usually walk right in close to them.
Your comment was vary helpful I was also wondering Where should I shoot the pig

Reactions: LCH
Thanks just saw your post thanks for you Commentary and you don’t think I need a vary high power slug for pigs

I’ve hunted with slugs for more than 20 years. The regular 2 3/4” Remington slugger will kill a hog deader than disco at normal slug distances. (75 yards and under)

Remington also has specific hog slugs out. You can read up on them on Remington’s website. If they are available and priced near the same, use them. Otherwise elcheapo slugs will work just fine.

Just shoot a Remington slugger. I have had the best luck with IC chokes in my Franchi 20. My niece killed her first deer with that set up this fall.
I actually just ordered an extended IM choke for my Franchi affinity 3 for trap and 5 stand what Franchi do you have and does choke size matter for slugs

I’ve hunted with slugs for more than 20 years. The regular 2 3/4” Remington slugger will kill a hog deader than disco at normal slug distances. (75 yards and under)

Remington also has specific hog slugs out. You can read up on them on Remington’s website. If they are available and priced near the same, use them. Otherwise elcheapo slugs will work just fine.

Did you hunt with a 20 or a 12

IM seems pretty constricted for firing a slug through it, I would think something more open would work better. You won't have any problems firing it through there though. 20 gauge slug will kill any North American big game animal if you are close enough.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Waspocrew
Back