Hunt Talk Radio - Look for it on your favorite Podcast platform

What is America's all time best, purely civilian hunting cartridge?

Who do you know that hunts deer with a 30-30?
Me, my relatives, my neighbors, etc. I am not sure if I knew a hunter growing up that didn't have (and use) a 30-30. Even today, if I am taking 40y shots in the woods from a tree stand it is the easy choice for whitetail and black bear. But if you are on the edge of a field where you may get a longer shot, the 30-06 (forbidden from this thread), .270 (not sure if allowed or not) and .243 (also a military derivative cartridge) are common choices.

Me, my relatives, my neighbors, etc. I am not sure if I knew a hunter growing up that didn't have (and use) a 30-30. Even today, if I am taking 40y shots in the wood sfrom a tree stand it is the easy choice for whitetail and black bear. But if you are on the edge of a field where you may get a longer shot, the 30-06 (forbidden from this thread), .270 (not sure if allowed or not) and .243 (also a military derivative cartridge) are common choices.
Cool, at least you know some people who hunt with them...would be the very last rifle I pulled from a whole cabinet full, even if 40 yard whitetails from a tree was on the menu.

Are they even worth anything?

I don't want to tell you what my Dad thinks it worth...even I might be tempted to buy it for that.

Just the mention of the 30-30 Winchester was enough to save Slim Pickens from the Axis powers who were looking to torpedo Hollywood & blow up John Wayne's house, so I'd say it's worth the price of freedom in America, you commie pinko.

Cool, at least you know some people who hunt with them...would be the very last rifle I pulled from a whole cabinet full, even if 40 yard whitetails from a tree was on the menu.
Taking a close-range deer is more harvesting than shooting. The nostalgia of the 30-30 makes the harvesting a little more fun for some of us. Hunting here is definitely different than hunting there - including the cultures around hunting.

Is a military parent case disqualifying? If not, 270 Win.
I say that might be a good answer but I prefer the 280 Rem. Actually with the variety of game we have I don't think there's a right answer to this. I figure depending on the shooter's ability and willingness to work withing the limits of the cartridge, it could be anything! Old indian woman in Canada has the #2 grizzy bear in the world with a 22 long. What can I say. She knew exactly what she was doing and how to use the cartridge she used! And then there's probably someone else thinks the only cartridge worth hunting deer with is a 458 Win Mag just in case you run into a bear! Myself I like 6'5's and 7mm's but, I don't delude myself that they are the be all of cartridges! Shoot, didn't Bell kill a bunch of elephants with the 6.5? Oh yea but it was a European cartridge. Then again what difference would it make if those 6.5 bullet's came out of a European case or say a 260 case? I think the best of anything is always an assumption on the part of the person making the claim!

Just the mention of the 30-30 Winchester was enough to save Slim Pickens from the Axis powers who were looking to torpedo Hollywood & blow up John Wayne's house, so I'd say it's worth the price of freedom in America, you commie pinko.
If the 30-30 was such a John Wayne classic...why did they make the John Wayne model 94 commemorative rifle in 32-40?

Just sayin'....

If the 30-30 was such a John Wayne classic...why did they make the John Wayne model 94 commemorative rifle in 32-40?

Just sayin'....

I said Slim Pickens, sir. Not John Wayne.

Marion preferred the 32-40. Lighter recoil & easier to shoot horseback. My 94 is in 32-40 as well. It was my grandmother's deer rifle. It's about like a 357 Magnum out of a rifle. 165 grain bullet at 1500 fps. With the Octagonal bbl & full magazine (sporting model) it has the recoil of a 22 mag.

I said Slim Pickens, sir. Not John Wayne.

Marion preferred the 32-40. Lighter recoil & easier to shoot horseback. My 94 is in 32-40 as well. It was my grandmother's deer rifle. It's about like a 357 Magnum out of a rifle. 165 grain bullet at 1500 fps. With the Octagonal bbl & full magazine (sporting model) it has the recoil of a 22 mag.
We have a 32-40 as well...I've actually shot a deer with it.

Does anyone really believe that's true about a 30-30?

I think its a fairy tale.

My family started hunting Montana in the early 1900's never shot a single big-game animal with a 30-30 that I'm aware of. Matter of fact, nobody in the family owned a 30-30 until the late 1960's and nobody has shot any big-game with it...doubt it has been fired more than 30 times and is going to be sold shortly.
This could have been true 50 years ago, when talking wood lot whitetails. To be fair I did kill my first couple deer with a 30-30 and just like any caliber using a hunting bullet if you poke a hole in both lungs the animal will die quickly.

And wounded more too. It's been around for a long time and taken its share of game, but that doesn't necessarily make it the best.
Wounding is 95% on the hunter and 5% circumstances beyond the hunter's control (like an animal moving at the exact instance of the trigger pull). Cartridges don't wound animals. Hunters pick the bullets, hunters select the cartridge, hunters determine shot placement, hunters determine the acceptable distance of the shot, hunters are accountable for their shooting accuracy, hunters read the wind, etc.

Are they even worth anything?

I don't want to tell you what my Dad thinks it worth...even I might be tempted to buy it for that.
Buy it!

I imagine you might be a bit surprised what they go for. I have a 30-30 that I hope fills a deer tag or two this fall. Oldest shot his first buck with it.

Obviously there is no real answer here, but I go with 30-30. We have 30-30s on both sides of the family that my Great grandpas killed deer with, my great grandmas killed deer with, my grandpas killed deer with, my grandmas killed deer with, my uncles killed deer with, multiple great grandkids killed deer with, multiple great nephews killed deer with, and soon a great great grankid will kill deer with. Thats a shit ton of deer!

Are they called great nephews?

Back