Caribou Gear

What if there were no point schemes?

ImBillT

I’ll open with an imaginary alternative and close with some beefs that I have with point systems.

What if each state went to a random draw with three choices and conducted draws two weeks apart from each other? Assuming ten states, perhaps Arizona, Colorado, Idaho, Montana, New Mexico, Nevada, Oregon, Utah, Washington and Wyoming that would take twenty weeks and could go from January to May. States could rotate order from year to year. Arizona would be first in year one, then drop to last for year two while everyone else bumped up a slot in the rotation. Hunters wouldn’t want to draw a mediocre hunt in Jan and be sidelined from applying for the hunt they really wanted later, and states wouldn’t want to be at the bottom of the list after a high percentage of hunters had already drawn their tags. A solution would be that all states offer a refund of most of the tag for up to two weeks after the draw results are posted for the final state. Leftover and returned tags could then go into a first come first served pool at the NR price. Then the states would get more application and license fees, as well as a percentage of returned tag fees, plus potentially have some residents return a tag that then gets sold at the non-resident price. With all of this imaginary coordination between states, why not have a multi-state license package? Fill out one form and pay one lump sum and bam, you have a hunting license in all ten states and are now eligible to apply in their draws. They now have P&R money coming their way even if you draw the tag you really want before ever even applying in their states drawing. Would the odds on some of the middle ground hunts go down as people put them as their second or third choice now that they aren’t going to lose points? Sure, but when they draw a better tag later in the order then turn in back in for a partial refund and now that tag is available OTC, or perhaps in a second drawing that costs another $10 to enter.

A) Point schemes are biased against the new hunter whether he is new to the hunting world or simply young. Does someone truly deserve less probability to hunt a “glory” unit or tag simply because their parents didn’t know to start buying them points at age 12? Does it really benefit hunters to lock out new comers from the hunts we dream of?

B) Point schemes allow someone who has absolutely no intention of hunting this year to “cut in line” ahead of those who are actually ready for a hunt the year that they apply. One of the supposed intents of point schemes is to help someone who was unlucky in the draw to be drawn before a luckier person gets drawn a second, third or fourth time, but what happens instead is that people buy points who do not intend to draw any time soon and then EXPECT to draw in the future. It seems innocent and harmless enough, but when someone who wants to hunt a certain hunt 12yrs from now starts accumulating points today, they do so at the cost of someone who is born today, or who first discovers hunting 12yrs from now. The point system allows those who CHOOSE to wait today, to FORCE others to wait in the future.

C) Point schemes force a hunter to choose between a glory hunt many years into the future or a less desirable hunt within a shorter time frame, and choosing the second option destroys the chance at the first option. In a random draw with multiple choices one can roll the dice for a glory hunt while still taking the less desirable hunts at greater frequency without negatively impacting the hunter’s odds to do either one in the future.

D) Point schemes result in some sense of entitlement and the feeling that the purchaser has purchased something of value. This puts pressure on the state to maintain a system even when a change is warranted. It also leaves a great many hunters feeling cheated after paying into a system that they believed was going to pay them back one day despite the fact that when 1000 hunters apply for 1 tag, about 950 of them will never draw regardless of the scheme put in place.

No matter what you do, there is a scarcity problem, demand for tags exceeds supply.

A 50 year old who discovers hunting is in a worse position than a 12 year old whose parent is a hunter and buys points as soon as the child is eligible.

Any license reciprocal across all western states would be prohibitively expensive.

The internet opened knowledge of Western hunting to the masses and the solution to maximizing opportunity is complex. Fighting for public land access, protecting habitat (including better fire management) and proper game management will help increase game numbers.

I'm not saying points are the solution but every state adopting New Mexico's process will still leave a bunch of hunters empty handed and grumpy.

Last edited:
I’ll open with an imaginary alternative and close with some beefs that I have with point systems.

Imagine all the money state wildlife programs would lose... in order for your proposal to make sense and not cost the states a huge amount of revenue the base multi-state hunting license would need to be $1000. You are assuming that the systems should be set up to best benefit the consumer not the resources. As much as bonus and preference points are set to benefit one group of hunters over another they are also in place because the states have seen that they generate far more money by having a point system. You aren't locked out of any top tier unit because of some nefarious plot by a secret cabal as your post seems to suggest, your are locked out because the resource is limited. Even in your system you probably would never get to hunt the Henry's for mule deer, or the strip, or the breaks sheep, etc.

1. "Coordination between states" - ha... cause you know departments within states coordinate sooo well together. Western states don't even have reciprocity with speeding tickets, Montana tickets don't show up on a CO driving record.

2. What if you want to draw in every state?

3. The app and draw deadlines aren't arbitrary they have to do with the state management efforts and (in theory) are set so that wildlife managers can get accurate population counts, and determine winter kill, before the season so they can set appropriate tag quotas

You’re absolutely right, there’s no way to increase the number of tags available other than to increase animals or decrease hunters, and the second option isn’t a good one. That isn’t the objective. The objective is to eliminate points while still offering the opportunity to hunt in various other states. The point systems do make it easier for the traveling hunter to hunt other states without drawing he doesn’t want to this year. With a cooperative random draw the traveling hunter can apply for a hunt would accept and still apply for the dream tag. It would however eliminate the stockpiling of hunts that has occurred in the point systems.

The reciprocal license wouldn’t be the only way in. It wouldn’t be prohibitively expensive for those already apply in 8-10 states.

Last edited:

If you want to draw in every state, then you apply in every state. I think you misunderstood the whole thing if you think you could apply in one, two or all ten, with three or more choices in each.

So adjust the deadline forward enough that each state can do their herd assemment in time. There’s no reason dates would actually have to be exactly two weeks apart or rotating, or that one state couldn’t leave it the same every year. The rotation was simply a way to keep a state happy if they did t want to be at the end every year. The staggering was simply so that if you were willing to hunt Wyoming, but really wanted Utah, you might find out how you did in Utah before the Wyoming draw.

The only important parts to the whole thing would be that everything went to random, and a refund was offered up to the results of the last state.

Im not sure what state you live in bill but I would oppose this its hard enough for a nevada resident to draw a decent unit as it is.

I would propose that most people aren’t going to apply in all ten, and still wouldn’t pay for the license to enter the Nevada draw just because it went to random. It might actually get marginally easier though without people stockpiling points on years they never intended to hunt. Nothing is going to make Nevada easier to draw. That’s why points are pointless. The one lump sum for a license in all ten wasn’t proposed as the only way into the draw, and might be something that gets you ten for the price of nine. I’m not suggestion that you could pay $155 for a license in all ten states and now enter all the draws for a couple hundred bucks.

Again, the hunter benefits but the individual state loses, there is literally 0 incentive for them to something like this...

Honestly, I think the system we have is great because it gives you a ton of options. If you are a planner and like knowing when you are going to draw then apply in AZ, CO, NV, or WY. If you hate point systems then apply in ID, NM, or AK. If you are less concerned with quality as getting to hunt, then you can go to Montana or Colorado. If you think you will likely only go on a couple of elk hunts and want a really good experience you can hold out for an AZ, NM, or WY hunt.

I really unconvinced that random is better... is it "fair" for someone to draw 5 glory tags in 5 years and someone else to never draw... that doesn't happen with point systems.

I would have to disagree I like the point system plus Nevada is already a random draw.

Nevada is not a random draw. It’s a squared bonus point. You’re welcome to like the point system. Some people do. Why do you think that going to random is going to suddenly increase the number of applicants? If the number of available tags remains the same and the price remains the same the number of applicants to Nevada will not likely change dramatically going to random. Some people would drop out because they incorrectly thought the squared points was improving their odds year, when in fact, everyone except the max point holder has odds that actually decrease each year. Some might enter in a random system. If there are people that aren’t sure about entering NM with a $65 dollar license and 4.2% draw odds, there will be plenty of people would wouldn’t enter Nevada with a $155(or whatever it’s up to now) and .42% odds.

Wouldn't help the state agencies, but if you only want to help drawing odds, make people apply in order to get a point (i.e., no point only option) and make every western state's app deadline the same day with a 90 wait for refunds to unsuccessful apps. You'll either pick the states you want to hunt most or enjoy that $10k+ balance on your credit card.

Everybody already has a chance to draw most glory tags in most states.

A year ago I was a fan of points, but the more I read here, the less of a fan I become. I would think these threads are immensely discouraging to new hunters. Or at least to those thinking of taking up big game hunting.

Again, the hunter benefits but the individual state loses, there is literally 0 incentive for them to something like this...

Honestly, I think the system we have is great because it gives you a ton of options. If you are a planner and like knowing when you are going to draw then apply in AZ, CO, NV, or WY. If you hate point systems then apply in ID, NM, or AK. If you are less concerned with quality as getting to hunt, then you can go to Montana or Colorado. If you think you will likely only go on a couple of elk hunts and want a really good experience you can hold out for an AZ, NM, or WY hunt.

I really unconvinced that random is better... is it "fair" for someone to draw 5 glory tags in 5 years and someone else to never draw... that doesn't happen with point systems.

You want everyone else to pay the price for your planning. One of the reasons for the scarcity is that you are stockpiling hunts into the future. With point systems the 22yr old buried in money who already has 10pts points for everything can stockpile hunts all over the west while the 22yr old buried in student loan debt could be ten years away from his first point purchase. On a random draw the first guy has had ten years of hunting opportunities and will get ten more years of hunting opportunities before the second guy enters the system, but when the second guy finialkybdoes enter the system, he can still dream the same dreams, some of which may already have come true for the first guy.

Everybody already has a chance to draw most glory tags in most states.

But it’s not s fair chance. I’m only proposing a way to go to random, without having to choose one state and one hunt, or be out 99% of the money, which I think is the biggest impediment to going to random draws. What if I draw two hunts this year? Is the biggest problem with the random.

What if 200 people in this thread came up with one aspect of everything going random they could agree was really good?

Also OP, please correct me if I'm wrong, but as I understand the regs there isn't a single western state that has a system that requires you to have max points to draw top tier tag. Every state has some option that always you to throw your hat in the ring for those top units and if you look at the stats bonus points can certainly improve your odds but the odds are still so bad for some units it only is bumping you from .01% to 4.1%, which while mathematically a huge jump realistically doesn't really matter as you still probably wont draw that tag in your lifetime.

My point is simply this; Let's say we do everything you mentioned above there are still far less tags than there are people who want them, even though odds change from a range of .0001% to 4% to .01% for all most hunters still won't draw so really the only thing that has changed is the system seems more fair even though it has the same net effect. BUT by making it feel more fair you have negatively effected the resource so there are less animals, so less tags, so in reality you are even more less likely to draw.

If you actually want better odds the best thing that can be done is to help wildlife agencies come up with strategies to raise more money, which can be used to do habitat projects, restore populations, and improve the herds.

Better solution to improve odds; allow every state to max out license costs until they reach the maximum $$$ amount the market will bear.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sea Rover
Back