What I Wish I Knew - Concealed Carry

TexAg09

Howdy everyone! I'm sure I could go to some tacticool message board for more specific information on concealed carry, but I always get good answers here and this crowd is usually more my speed. I'm looking to get into carrying a concealed handgun. I'm pretty well versed in guns, ammo and ballistics due to my hunting background, but I feel like this is different. What are some things you wish you knew about concealed carry when you started out, or what are some tips or opinions you have that might be helpful? I plan on taking a class once I pick out a pistol and spend some time behind the trigger. Thanks in advance!

Know your state regs. Know the regs of the states you will be traveling in with your concealed weapon. For example, when I travel from the NC to Montana, I usually have to drive through IL. Illinois have different laws that most of the rest of them do.
What kind of holster do you want? What kind of gun do you wish to carry all the time. If you don't know the answer to the weapon, go to a range that lets you try out a bunch of theirs. That was the best thing for my wife when we both got our CWP. She tried multiple weapons all within an hours time and fell in love with one she wanted to buy. Her Christmas present was easy to figure out that year.
Those are some of the questions that I had to figure out initially.

My go to gun for concealed carry is a full frame Remington R1 1911 chambered in 45 acp. I ether use an inside the waist band Galco holster or a shoulder holster balanced by 2 mags. If I am in a hurry, I grab my Ruger LCR in 22 rimfire.
I grew up shooting the 1911 platform so the weight doesn't bother me, one brother and my dad like the S and W shields and the Springfield Xd's. My other brother also carrys a 1911 but his is chambered in 10mm. I used to carry a Glock 21 but it was way to heavy so I sold it. My advice is go to a sporting goods store and handle as many as you can.

if you carry a hand gun you should thoroughly understand use of force law. A good number of people get in trouble every year for shooting someone who doesn't meet the standard. Every year someone gets jammed up for shooting someone breaking into their car.
I would suggest google Homicide, when lawful in your state and threat of deadly force when lawful. Understanding that you will be able to articulate what the bad guy did that left you no other reasonable alternative to using force.

Concealed carry has jumped through the roof the last couple years. The amount of guns are endless, go get your hands on a couple and see what fits best. Personal recommendations p365xl, g43X, p320 carry, kimber makes some nice offerings etc.

Holsters is a whole other issue, find what fits on your body best. Some people prefer appendix, some have a little more tactical girth and don’t find that comfortable. find a good holster company that fits you well, and you don’t have to readjust while out and about.

Understand different states laws if you’re going to be traveling with it. If you get a concealed permit check which states honor it.

Get comfortable drawing and firing from wherever you decide to conceal a gun.

I would say there is not much I wish I knew versus what I know. As mentioned just make sure you know the laws of the state you carry in as they change a bit. Get the CCW app/website on your phone so you know the law of the state you are in or are going to be in. One thing I do that you or others may or may not agree with is "where" you can and cannot carry...I carry everywhere and I ignore all those stupid signs, but that is up to you. Just like the guy who killed that active shooter in the mall the other day, if he followed the rules of the mall and did not carry there, well guess how many people that shooter would have killed.

I recently started carrying. I picked a DAO revolver for simplicity under duress. Everyone has their personal preference.

I’ll second reviewing use of force laws in your state. WAY too many people out there with guns thinking they are going to use them in scenarios that are completely inappropriate, unnecessarily dangerous, or both.

Well the Illinois law is full of stuff like this:

You may not concealed carry in any building, real property or parking area under the control of an establishment that serves alcohol on its premises, if more than 50% of the establishment's gross receipts within the prior 3 months is from the sale of alcohol.

So yeah, some of us ignore the signs and take our chances.

Size of gun. Too small and it's hard to be accurate. Too big and it's uncomfortable and you won't ever bring it.

Then the type of safety and firing system. Are you willing to carry a gun that needs to be cocked and locked? If not, look at other options. Do you feel you need a safety? Not having a round in the chamber when carrying kind of defeats the purpose. So make sure you are comfortable with your choice.

Finally is trigger pull. Basically long vs short. Some guns use a long trigger pull as part of their safety system. I'm not a fan of them, but it's probably a matter of just getting used to it.

I carry a sig p938. I'm good to 35 feet. I probably will get something a bit larger at some point. But I also can't imagine a situation where I sending am bullets 100 feet at someone. The gun gets fired anytime I go to the range. Practice is so important.

-laws are important. Know them. Even if you’re in a “good shoot” chances are you’ll still be arrested.
-“carry insurance” such as the USCCA isn’t a gimmick. They keep legal teams on hand and members get access to them.
-A good belt is necessary.
-a gun on your person is a chunk of steel inside or near your waistband. It’s not going to be comfortable, but should be comforting.
-comfortable holsters aren’t always secure. Choose good holsters over comfortable holsters with a solid option that can’t slip off your belt during the draw. Too many holsters today have slippery little clips that make it easy to remove the holster from the belt. These are the holsters that awkwardly stay with the gun when you draw and come out when they aren’t supposed to, and they are garbage.
-good holsters are custom fit to your gun model, don’t have any of the holster molded into the trigger guard to get tangled up with the trigger at the wrong time, and are worth the extra money over holsters that don’t have these qualities.
-I don’t worry as much about capacity but I do carry a reload. A spare magazine is one of the easiest fixes to a jammed gun.
-choose a normal run-of-the-mill gun. Easier to find good holsters for and if it ends up in an evidence locker, it won’t hurt your feelings as much as some fancy POS. Pay attention to what professional shooters/trainers/LEO are using for guns and ammunition. There’s a reason for that due to reliability and functionality.
-dive deep in your personality and ask yourself if you could pull the trigger on someone. Don’t be tempted to carry if you can’t.
-continue to train, practice, and learn.
-don’t worry about small groups. But focus on effective shooting under time or stress at self defense distances.
-don’t carry a pretty gun. It’s amazing what dust and dirt works it’s way into a holster and scratches your gun.

Right after introductions and before the CPL class I attended began the instructors asked us this question and said if anyone wasn't sure to please see the instructor outside, and called for a break. One person didn't return to class. It was a great illustration of the seriousness of carrying & possibly using a firearm.
Yep. Pretty heavy stuff. When I turned 21 I went off and bought my pistol, went through a class for a permit to carry, and went on my way. Can’t remember what I read, or when, but it had me so conflicted that I took my gun/holster/ammo and locked it away for a few weeks before I came to terms with the gravity of it all. Been carrying daily ever since.

Definitely check laws in all states that you intend to carry. And if you decide to “ignore” those stupid signs……..well, know that for one you are breaking the law, and two…….. don’t post about it on a public forum.

Glad to hear you’re looking into a class. Lots of good ones out there that will teach use of force, reciprocity, and basic comforts.

Well the Illinois law is full of stuff like this:
You may not concealed carry in any building, real property or parking area under the control of an establishment that serves alcohol on its premises, if more than 50% of the establishment's gross receipts within the prior 3 months is from the sale of alcohol.

So yeah, some of us ignore the signs and take our chances.
🤷🏻‍♂️

-don’t carry a pretty gun. It’s amazing what dust and dirt works it’s way into a holster and scratches your gun.
Especially a carry gun. Mine doesn’t get out much. Lots of dust will build up on one that just sits as an insurance policy. Be proficient, but also be able to almost forget you have it. It’s an emergency policy.

I would say there is not much I wish I knew versus what I know. As mentioned just make sure you know the laws of the state you carry in as they change a bit. Get the CCW app/website on your phone so you know the law of the state you are in or are going to be in. One thing I do that you or others may or may not agree with is "where" you can and cannot carry...I carry everywhere and I ignore all those stupid signs, but that is up to you. Just like the guy who killed that active shooter in the mall the other day, if he followed the rules of the mall and did not carry there, well guess how many people that shooter would have killed.
So basically you already know it all

Enough said

Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping Systems

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clamwc
Back