PEAX Equipment

What Gun?

I have lots of bows but only one big game rifle and it is a 300 Weatherby mag w/the BOSS system http://www.browning.com/customerservice/qna/detail.asp?ID=107. I wish it was a Win Mag because I don't take the time to reload and the Win the ammo is much cheaper.

Since I do not hand load I do like the BOSS system. It allows you to tune the barrel to a quality factory bullet vs tuning a hand load to the gun. It is extremely accurate. It also helps soften the recoil and this is nice because my two boys in their early teens can shoot it with little fear. The draw backs are it is loud and kind of ugly.

A high quality scope is a must.

I to love my 300 win mag. It does it all and with it being 30 cal you are unlimited when you do your own reloading.

mohunter...all calibers mentioned above are great and worthy of high marks. One thing to remember...dead is dead...a well placed shot from any medium to large high power will do the job better than 'flinging' lead from a gun you are not 110% comfortable shooting. Since you are thinking about a 1 gun situation (possibly custom)...have an honest talk with yourself...how you respond to recoil, muzzle blast and time spent on the bench...that is where you will determine what is 'best' for you. Dont get caught up in ultra speed, energy and hot topics. You will enjoy the gun more and enjoy increased marksmanship if you think that through honestly.

WIth the .300 WSM, you are fine. You don't gain or lose much either way, so no sense selling one to buy a .300 Win Mag. (Spoken by a guy who owns both a .300 Wthby and a .300 Win Mag.... ;) ) A-bolts aren't my favorite rifle, but some folks love 'em.

You liked the Nosler? I didnt think it was too bad, but it sure looked like nothing more than a Howa, with a few different angles...not that the Howa is a bad action, just thinkin one could build a better gun for the money.

NULA's are sweet, I havent herd anything bad about Melvin's work.

I liked it as much as I could by just handling at the store. I don't disagree that one couldn't build one as good or better for the same or maybe less $$. But, for someone wanting a well put together, lightish rifle I think they offer a pretty good bang for the buck. Kimber's are about the same weight and 1/2 the price, but appear to be a bit more of a gamble on quality.

You should go buy a NULA and let me shoot it to see if I really want one. :D

. Kimber's are about the same weight and 1/2 the price, but appear to be a bit more of a gamble on quality.

. :D

I couldnt get my Montana to shoot for chit. bedded it, sent it back, recrowned it, Hand loaded the thing with hundreds of dollars worth of rounds until i got fed up and stepped up to a Sako 85 finnlight. That gun is almost boring, it shoots anything i stick in it, but way better than the Kimber POS. I loved the Kimber's look and feel, but it was just too fussy.

Take a look at the price of ammunition and/or components. The Win Mag will probably be the most reasonable out of all the .300's. Although reasonable price and ammunition don't exactly go hand in hand any more.

Schmalts- I do remember your soap opera with that thing. However, I do like the feel of them enough that I may be willing to take the gamble. Heck, even factoring another $500 for a new barrel makes them a reasonable deal @ $1500. Glag the Sako is working for you!

Schmalts- I do remember your soap opera with that thing. However, I do like the feel of them enough that I may be willing to take the gamble. Heck, even factoring another $500 for a new barrel makes them a reasonable deal @ $1500. Glag the Sako is working for you!

It isn't always the barrel. Sometimes the action is at fault. I had Kreiger inspect the barrel since i live 10 miles away. They said it looked good with a borescope.

I notice that Hill Country Rifles will not accept Kimbers for their "accurizing" service.

From personel experience I will never own another Kimber. I have a classic varminter .22 that was gift from my wife and i must say it shoots well but other rifles I have seen didn't shoot as well. A good friend had problems with another rifle and kimber's customer service was horrible.

I notice that Hill Country Rifles will not accept Kimbers for their "accurizing" service.
Not anymore that is...

Schmaltz- I agree that it can be the action. If I do take the gamble and lose, I'd hope that truing the action would rectify it. The new proposed 84L in 30-06 would be hard for me to not try... That and I'm sure my standards aren't as high as others. If it'll hold 3 under 1.5" at 100yds I'd be good.

May I make a suggestion? Forget the kimber. If you like the kimber for the nice stock like I did, go get a Sako finnlite and pop for the Mcmillan stock. It will run you more than you will pay for a kimber but you have the comfort of knowing the gun WILL SHOOT. I have read very very few if any problems with a Sako shooting. In fact, unlike Kimber they make the claim of 5 shots MOA out of the box. Kimber is 1.5 inches according to thier customer service but even at that, try and get them to fix anything. Sako too much? try the Tikka.
Forgot to add that the Sako feeds much nicer as well. Many times i have cracked the bolt open a little just to make sure it put one in! The Kimber? It busted off tips of plastic tipped ammo.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hotdeals
Back