Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

What else to do in WY?

Not to sidetrack, but if anyones really interested in Sage Grouse, hunt the northern Red Desert.
I will be in unit 68 last week in September. I would love to shoot one sage grouse to have mounted. If the season is open then and anyone has any advice where to try I would really appreciate it. Never hunted sage grouse before so have no clue.

Hankg, bang two and make sure you eat one. They are delicious and have the best tasting gizzards in the west.

I haven't hunted the n red desert but the post above says start there. I'll be in UT that week so can't help you out.

You don't need a dog, but it helps. I'd think about it like this: Find where there is tall sage and water. That seems like lots of places, but really isn't.

I'd love to chase a sage grouse or two. They are cool looking birds.

Northern Red Desert is the way to go. Not only is the grouse hunting great, you'll probably see elk, definitely see feral horses, tons of pronghorn, and the coolest desert type scenery in WY in my opinion. All while seeing very, very few people off the main roads.

Sage Grouse are well traveled birds, so sometimes you can see a bunch in one place and come back later and not see any. That's just been my experience but others may know more sure fire spots. Draw a hundred and fifty yard circle around Farson WY and it contains a significant number of the total sage grouse in the entire US.

Bring the dogs if you've got em. Not because you need them, most grouse are dumb as a post. It's just good early season practice for the dogs, and they usually hold pretty well. If you want one to mount, don't shoot the first one you see. Wait for a big ol bomber male. After you've gotten used to the large size of SG in general, you'll know one when you see one. They're gigantic, even by SG standards. If you want one to eat, do just the opposite. SG are longer living than most upland game, and I hear those big ol males aren't the best to eat. Ive never tried one, someday I probably will just to test the theory. But get out and hunt them if you have the chance.

This administration has torched the land use plans that kept the SG from being listed a few years back in the name of energy dominance. Listing talk will be right back on the table with the next democratic administration, and this time plans that exist on paper only may not be enough to keep them off the ESA, especially the way this last change in administration has gone in regards to SG. Not trying to be political, that's just the way it is. Moral of the story is hunt them while you can.

Northern Red Desert is the way to go. Not only is the grouse hunting great, you'll probably see elk, definitely see feral horses, tons of pronghorn, and the coolest desert type scenery in WY in my opinion. All while seeing very, very few people off the main roads.

Sage Grouse are well traveled birds, so sometimes you can see a bunch in one place and come back later and not see any. That's just been my experience but others may know more sure fire spots. Draw a hundred and fifty yard circle around Farson WY and it contains a significant number of the total sage grouse in the entire US.

Bring the dogs if you've got em. Not because you need them, most grouse are dumb as a post. It's just good early season practice for the dogs, and they usually hold pretty well. If you want one to mount, don't shoot the first one you see. Wait for a big ol bomber male. After you've gotten used to the large size of SG in general, you'll know one when you see one. They're gigantic, even by SG standards. If you want one to eat, do just the opposite. SG are longer living than most upland game, and I hear those big ol males aren't the best to eat. Ive never tried one, someday I probably will just to test the theory. But get out and hunt them if you have the chance.

This administration has torched the land use plans that kept the SG from being listed a few years back in the name of energy dominance. Listing talk will be right back on the table with the next democratic administration, and this time plans that exist on paper only may not be enough to keep them off the ESA, especially the way this last change in administration has gone in regards to SG. Not trying to be political, that's just the way it is. Moral of the story is hunt them while you can.
Thanks for the input!

Yep, the young ones are for eatin" the big boys are for lookin' at.
As stated, no dog needed but sure would be more fun with one.

I mentioned it on another thread, but if you’re interested in fishing the Platte around Casper, Tim Starks of The Ugly Bug Fly Shop is a fantastic guide and all around darn good person. Highly recommended!

So I got tags in a unit that boarders MT. Anyone crossed over the border to access BLM or State land? There are a few places in the unit I am hunting but I am wonder about crossing back in to MT with meat before the Season opens there.

any thoughts?

So I got tags in a unit that boarders MT. Anyone crossed over the border to access BLM or State land? There are a few places in the unit I am hunting but I am wonder about crossing back in to MT with meat before the Season opens there.

any thoughts?
I'm not sure I'd recommend that nor would I try it. Crossing boarders with game from another state isn't a good idea, especially if the state your parked in isn't even in season. But hell the Indians do it .......... as far as what else can you do in Wyoming..........drink beer.

My son and I will be heading to unit 26 for archery pronghorn. We will be arriving 10 days early to visit yellowstone, and the tetons. Wondering what we should do with our bows as they dont seem to be allowed in the park. Guns yes, bows no. Any suggestions?

My son and I will be heading to unit 26 for archery pronghorn. We will be arriving 10 days early to visit yellowstone, and the tetons. Wondering what we should do with our bows as they dont seem to be allowed in the park. Guns yes, bows no. Any suggestions?
Dont worry about it just dont be shooting them at 3ds getting ready...lol. keep them cased!

any thoughts?
Have done it several times... no problem at all. I have accessed Montana going through Wyoming and accessed wyoming through both Montana and South Dakota.

A little bump on this thread as the Big Boy steam engine is leaving Cheyenne, Wyoming on Friday, Sept 27 for a trek across the western US.
Great chance to see some history. It will be using the UP line through Southern Wyoming and some great spots to get really up close to see it, Medicine Bow is one spot.

IMG_0898 (1200x800).jpg

Grab your seats early for the Jackalope migration. You will see grandstands set up all across the state....

3930d668-bfe9-43d2-be53-1710b9a47217.jpg
Shot mine during the great migration of 97

Attachments

• 20190402_184809.jpg
    20190402_184809.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 4
PEAX Trekking Poles

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member