Caribou Gear

What else to do in WY?

It is rare that an antelope hunter goes past 2 or 3 days hunting and most outfitted hunts are only 3 days max. 8 days is a long time unless your really serious about taking your time and looking over a ton of area and bucks. Myself, I would take in some fishing perhaps scouting for other areas for a future hunt.

I saw a bunch of hungarian and chukar partridge on my deer hunt last year. PM me if you want more info. My biggest regret of the trip was not bringing a shotgun. There was some good looking trout water there, as well.

Again not sure were you are at but the fishing is great that time of the year. Platte River west of Casper, Wind river North of Shoshoni, and lots of small rivers in the mountains. Also bird hunting in the Bighorns is good that time of year. I Love Fishing

Have never been bored in Wyoming.

Visit the incredible firearms museum in Cody. Hike/camp/fly fish - Grand Tetons, or the Bighorns.

The place is incredible. Well worth your time, even after the hunt.

Ditto what others have said about waterfowl hunting and trout fishing. I think some of our best public land waterfowling occurs during the Oct. big game seasons. I always kick myself for not fowling more early as a lot of the good places in Wyo close in November and become refuges for the rest of the season, but when the rubber hits the road I care more about big game than waterfowl. If you're into trout fishing, the brookies and browns will be starting to really color up and spawn at that time. I'd suggest the Pinedale area also for either trout fishing or waterfowl hunting, or mountain grouse hunting for that matter. Most people will be out for big game, leaving some excellent opportunities on the rivers and streams. I'll be in that area hunting moose with my best friend and possibly elk and pronghorn as well depending on draw results tomorrow, PM me if you're interested in some specific spots to check out for trout/waterfowl. The scenery will be awesome that time of year anywhere in the mountainous areas that have aspens also.

Reactions: LCH
If you're done by friday, check for a local football game. Bring a rod or a mountain bike. Great breweries and distilleries. Makes me miss Wyoming just thinking about it.

Sage hens, Blue & Ruffed Grouse.

Sage grouse season will be over by October.

Blue (Dusky) grouse, ruffed grouse, sharp-tailed grouse, Chukar and Gray (Hungarian) partridge seasons will be open in October. Sharp-tailed grouse can only be hunted east of the Continental Divide in Wyoming.

ClearCreek

Cdn, will you have dogs? I'll be out there with 2 drahthaars. We banged up Sage Grouse last year but that season will be closed by your timeline. I'll be up for chasing other birds though.

Not to sidetrack, but if anyones really interested in Sage Grouse, hunt the northern Red Desert.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fishing-Moka
Back