What Did These Come Out Of?

Bowhunter60

I was hiking out in the desert yesterday and found this bullet in a canyon. As you can see, it's pretty old, so, some of my measurements may be skewed a bit by its age. Here's the measurements I got:
  • Weight in grains - 382
  • Width (Just above the boattail) - .432
  • Length - 1.427

I'm stabbing in the dark, but I'd guess it came out of a .404 or .416 caliber rifle. Without knowing what it was shot into, it would appear its an old solid of some kind. Anyone have any idea or reference that might identify this bullet?

Attachments

• IMG_0129.jpg
    IMG_0129.jpg
    67.7 KB · Views: 546
  • IMG_0130.jpg
    IMG_0130.jpg
    60.9 KB · Views: 549
That's pretty cool. I have no idea. Its interesting how the "tip" is deformed yet rounded.

Last edited:
Cores from 50 cal AP, but not sure what would cause the tip to melt to the rivet look those have.

I was about to say what some of the others said, that doesn't really look like a bullet to me. But then, I'm just looking at a photo on my cell phone.

I agree that it's not a bullet. I may be wrong but I don't think they make boattail bullets for those long range calibers of .404 or .416 :confused:

Agree w/rivets. The diameter is off for the .416 or 404 cal rifles. Plus, looks like iron to me, and not copper/ lead core.

Those are M33 50 cal steel cores shot into soft steel, copper jackets shattered, tips mushroomed.

Example of unsheathed cores with copper stripped away, M2 AP core on top, M33 core on bottom.

Last edited:
The diameter is what's throwing me. Is the jacket for a 50 BMG .078 thick and weigh 220 grains? The uniformity of the mushroom as well would indicate a somewhat malleable substance that it went through to get the consistent shape.

Some versions of 50 cal ball had a lead sheath between the steel and copper. I found several sources just now that list core weight around 380-390 grains.

The diameter is what's throwing me. Is the jacket for a 50 BMG .078 thick and weigh 220 grains? The uniformity of the mushroom as well would indicate a somewhat malleable substance that it went through to get the consistent shape.

Might not have gone through at all but run into armor at distance and been forged into that shape by the depression it made in the armor. It does have a groove in it like the bottom example. Wonder if there were ever any military maneuvers in the area found.

Might not have gone through at all but run into armor at distance and been forged into that shape by the depression it made in the armor. It does have a groove in it like the bottom example. Wonder if there were ever any military maneuvers in the area found.

The area was used by GEN Patton back in the day to get his troops ready for deployment. Whether it's from that, I don't know. The location where I found it, in a shallow cave, was a little curious. I did have the thought that it could be a rivet, but their aren't any mining operations in the area, nor, to the best of my knowledge has there been any in the past.

Very interesting. Rivets or bullets, I am interested to see what those are and if this leads anywhere.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
samcarp
Back