What coat/jacket/sweater do I want?

Sounds like a great piece of kit, but not exactly a NEED for me right meow. If it’s too cold for my core heavyweight hoody and a mtn vest, then I’m in the territory of a puffy and a soft shell. I just run hot.

Does suck that you didn’t get it until after your hunt. You’ll get plenty of chances to push it.
I think a really good softshell is next on my list. It was the first "nice" jacket I ever bought, Sitka 90% jacket, and I wore it a bunch on this trip. But they really should have named it the Not-Quite jacket. It's not quite warm, not quite rain resistant, not quite wind resistant, not quite quiet...

I think a really good softshell is next on my list. It was the first "nice" jacket I ever bought, Sitka 90% jacket, and I wore it a bunch on this trip. But they really should have named it the Not-Quite jacket. It's not quite warm, not quite rain resistant, not quite wind resistant, not quite quiet...
Well it is only 90%… go ahead treat yo’ self. Buy a 100% jacket.

I have a Sitka down pour from like 10 years ago that I keep for this use case, face fabric is super quiet but it’s a rain jacket. Decently warm with a mid layer, I use a synthetic puffy, great “shooter cut” which makes it easy to put on a puffy on over it.

Downsides no pit zips, and it takes forever to dry out after serious rain… oh and it’s like 10 years old.

Not sure what the new one is like but something to check out.

I need some help finding something that fits what I'm looking for. I want an outwear layer, than I can wear when it's chilly, say 30-40's while lightly moving, that I can archery hunt in (stalk in). It's needs to be silent, have a good, trim fit (so I can put a puffy over it), slightly wind and rain resistant, enough warmth that I can hold still for an hour waiting on a critter without needing to put on more layers. I've never found this coat, I don't know if it exists, but I have to think it does and that everyone but me probably already has it.

Also, I run cold, real cold- like lizard cold.

I have this coat, it's called the Sitka Timberline, discontinued of course. I'm considering selling it...

sitka-gear-timberline-jacket

I've had it 4-5 years. The windstopper is nice, the jacket itself is thin but somehow still too warm for me to hike in unless it's really cold out and it doesn't have underarm vents. I did just wear it 9 days straight in AK though and it worked well for that, high 40's/low 50s every day, it fits under my puffy coat and rain jacket well. The other guys both had Sitka Jetstream jackets, it's definitely not as bulky (or as warm either probably) as those.

If I just made manager money... this is pretty sweet.
I tried it on at Sportsmans
Thought I would update. This has been hands down the best clothing product I've ever owned. It is incredibly warm, light, quiet, cuts a bit of wind, breaths like a dream, comfy as hell.

Have you tried any of the Polartec Alpha Direct garments on the market?
I’m intrigued by this stuff. Anyone have suggestions for jackets made with it that aren’t camo? Seems like a fine mid layer material. Rab Alpha Flash is what web searches keep turning up.

Thought I would update. This has been hands down the best clothing product I've ever owned. It is incredibly warm, light, quiet, cuts a bit of wind, breaths like a dream, comfy as hell.
Glad to hear it! I love my Ascendant in a similar fashion.

I’m intrigued by this stuff. Anyone have suggestions for jackets made with it that aren’t camo? Seems like a fine mid layer material. Rab Alpha Flash is what web searches keep turning up.
I'm not sure what's on the market right now. If the face fabric is right, it makes for an amazing garment.

More or less yes...

There are a couple of cottage UL backpacking companies making hoodies and pullovers with raw Alpha. Senchi Designs is probably best of those that I'm aware of. Their runs would sell out in minutes, now they stick around for a while. I have a Merlin, it's sweet. Pretty interesting stuff, not durable on its own.

Arcteryx Octaloft is essentially the same technology. The Proton FL is a great one. The older FL had a light mesh lining, the most recent one is raw Octaloft on the inside. The Rab Vapour Rise line also has their version of something extremely similar to Alpha. Microfiber liner, very breathable pertex air outer.

The Rab Alpha Flash is the 120g/m2 version of alpha, there are quite a few iterations/weaves of Alpha, more than you would think.

There are two pieces that I think are the very best version of an active-insuation style midlayer: The Patagonia Nano Air Light Hoody (which is no longer made), and the Arc'teryx Proton FL. The Sitka looks like it's right in there conceptually, I'd want to know what the CFM and/or MVTR of the face fabric is, but as usual they don't share much about the fabric they use. Could be the top of the heap who knows. The liner and face fabric makes a big difference in the performance on pieces like these.

Whatever the case, I've come around on active insulation type pieces, didn't really give them the time of day a few years ago.

How does the sizing run neffa?

More or less yes...

There are a couple of cottage UL backpacking companies making hoodies and pullovers with raw Alpha. Senchi Designs is probably best of those that I'm aware of. Their runs would sell out in minutes, now they stick around for a while. I have a Merlin, it's sweet. Pretty interesting stuff, not durable on its own.

Arcteryx Octaloft is essentially the same technology. The Proton FL is a great one. The older FL had a light mesh lining, the most recent one is raw Octaloft on the inside. The Rab Vapour Rise line also has their version of something extremely similar to Alpha. Microfiber liner, very breathable pertex air outer.

The Rab Alpha Flash is the 120g/m2 version of alpha, there are quite a few iterations/weaves of Alpha, more than you would think.

There are two pieces that I think are the very best version of an active-insuation style midlayer: The Patagonia Nano Air Light Hoody (which is no longer made), and the Arc'teryx Proton FL. The Sitka looks like it's right in there conceptually, I'd want to know what the CFM and/or MVTR of the face fabric is, but as usual they don't share much about the fabric they use. Could be the top of the heap who knows. The liner and face fabric makes a big difference in the performance on pieces like these.

Whatever the case, I've come around on active insulation type pieces, didn't really give them the time of day a few years ago.
Oh heck yeah. That’s a ton of great info. Thanks!

Looking at Senchi leggings right now and can’t believe I’ve been sweating my butt off in expensive merino all these years.

What's funny is Rab has been killing it with the Vapour Rise line for decades, and the synthetic shelled micropile concept has been used by Buffalo (another UK compnay) since like the '70's. Principles that work just kinda hang around.

If you had to do it again, would you get the hoody or the jacket? I have a jetstream jacket and thought this would be either an under layer or standalone. I rarely wear more than merino base layer, vest and jetstream jacket as that is enough to keep me warm in pretty cold temps. I am a sucker for more hoodies and jackets. Just didn't know if I wanted another hood.

If you had to do it again, would you get the hoody or the jacket? I have a jetstream jacket and thought this would be either an under layer or standalone. I rarely wear more than merino base layer, vest and jetstream jacket as that is enough to keep me warm in pretty cold temps. I am a sucker for more hoodies and jackets. Just didn't know if I wanted another hood.
I'm not who you quoted but this is a layer I personally want a hood on.

GOHUNT Insider

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jack the bear
Back