What coat/jacket/sweater do I want?

Buy one and let us know! I'd imagine John Barklow designed it and he seems to know what's up.

I think if I was currently on the market for active insulation I'd be looking hard at the Arcteryx piece that @SnowyMountaineer referenced. But I've been pretty much just been switching over to non hunting brands and buying earth tones when possible.
Same here, but I still find myself wanting a very quiet face material when archery hunting. Rifle, I'm totally in the non-hunting brands. But they tend to be just loud enough to make be cringe on a quiet morning.

As usual with hunting brands, I wish Sitka would be more informative about their face fabrics. Hard to compare CFM when you don't know what's covering it, and that's sort of the linchpin of this type of layer IMO.
Looks like a real nice option though.

Same here, but I still find myself wanting a very quiet face material when archery hunting. Rifle, I'm totally in the non-hunting brands. But they tend to be just loud enough to make be cringe on a quiet morning.
Yeah. Some wear helps, but that's definitely a thing.

I need some help finding something that fits what I'm looking for. I want an outwear layer, than I can wear when it's chilly, say 30-40's while lightly moving, that I can archery hunt in (stalk in). It's needs to be silent, have a good, trim fit (so I can put a puffy over it), slightly wind and rain resistant, enough warmth that I can hold still for an hour waiting on a critter without needing to put on more layers. I've never found this coat, I don't know if it exists, but I have to think it does and that everyone but me probably already has it.

Also, I run cold, real cold- like lizard cold.
For me this combo has been my wheelhouse. I run hot though.

Base Merino longsleeve. Smartwool or first lite
Schnees rifleman shirt - Synthetic, but they make a wool version.
Filson Cruiser vest (wool lined Tin cloth). discontinued I Think.

1662652013627.png

My point is perhaps a VEST might keep your core warm while your arms radiate any extra heat. I've been happy with my blend of wool and synthetic.

I’ve been very pleased with Sitka Jetstream. I find it runs small. I am usually a medium, but I got a large. It is a comfy fit. I can get an ultralight puffy underneath it, which is good sitting down to about 50 degrees, and strenuous walking at 10 degrees. Still hunting with just a base layer under it’s perfect for about 35-50 degrees.

It is not the quietest fabric, but I don’t swish my arms on my sides so it’s not an issue. I have stalked deer to within 20 yards. Good water resistant, relatively light, breathable, tons of pockets. When it wears out I’ll look into getting another one.

from OR rep, because I had to ask about this one.
View attachment 239611
View attachment 239612

Have they not realized that you don't have to do this? Just keep making a great product!
They take the one out to make room for the one that WILL wear out so they make more money...that is how the world works now. Take water heaters for instance...you know what I'm talking about.... :) Used to last for 20-30 years, now it's lucky if it's 6-8....LUCKY.....

They take the one out to make room for the one that WILL wear out so they make more money...that is how the world works now. Take water heaters for instance...you know what I'm talking about.... :) Used to last for 20-30 years, now it's lucky if it's 6-8....LUCKY.....
That's true. My current one doesn't even have a replaceable anode.

@Backofbeyond it didn't show up until I got back. Not going to solve my question, but it's probably going to replace my chama hoody. It's freakin hot and light and quiet.
Curious about the statement that it won't solve your question. Where do you feel it falls short?

Curious about the statement that it won't solve your question. Where do you feel it falls short?
It's not at all wind or rain resistant, I wanted something that had a little of both. But I absolutely love it still. I'm going to take it mt biking tomorrow and see how it does under high exertion.

It's not at all wind or rain resistant, I wanted something that had a little of both. But I absolutely love it still. I'm going to take it mt biking tomorrow and see how it does under high exertion.
That makes sense.

My Ascendant is arguably the same way, but since I overheat easily, those cons become pros to me.

Lots of different physiologys out there.

Sounds like a great piece of kit, but not exactly a NEED for me right meow. If it’s too cold for my core heavyweight hoody and a mtn vest, then I’m in the territory of a puffy and a soft shell. I just run hot.

Does suck that you didn’t get it until after your hunt. You’ll get plenty of chances to push it.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clamwc
Back