What Chronograph to buy?

Durango Mike

Ok gentlemen (ladies too) what chrono should I buy to replace the old model PACT I have that seems to have crapped out after 20 years. I like the idea of wi fi to my phone or iPad to record vs writing down strings before I clear. Simple is better for me, however I can probably rent a millennial to figure the instructions out if necessary.

I bought a magnetospeed. It’s worth the extra cost. You do have to use up some bullets to get the data before working in groups. But hands down better than any light driven chrono.
Couldn’t you mount a magnetospeed to a sling swivel so it won’t affect poi? Don’t mean to hijack Mike, I’m looking too.

With components hard to come by here is what I do. 6 rounds at even increments depending on the Nosler load data. Varget was crap H4350 showed promise. Find which one shows promise remove the magnetospeed and shoot a group of three.

I had load development in this rifle done in 15 shots. I have 6 more loaded to shoot verification at 200 then it’s off to the coyote woods.

image.jpg

9D436DAD-681E-44E3-AF3A-DCB4EAF5D100.jpeg

Spend the extra money and get the Labradar.
Looked at both in online, side by side tests indicate very similar results, the advantage to Labradar seems to be with pistol and archery as it is not clear how you hang a magneto speed from a 4inch 44 mag or 7 1/2 colt single action, or run speed on an arrow. It also seems better with large caliber bullets although both seem OK with 223. Am I missing something? Anyone use for archery?

Looked at both in online, side by side tests indicate very similar results, the advantage to Labradar seems to be with pistol and archery as it is not clear how you hang a magneto speed from a 4inch 44 mag or 7 1/2 colt single action, or run speed on an arrow. It also seems better with large caliber bullets although both seem OK with 223. Am I missing something? Anyone use for archery?
I just hate that I have to sight in after chronographing with the magneetospeed, dont have to do that with the Labradar. And I have an octagonal barrel that it has fallen off of before, so that's annoying. I like the thought of just setting on the bench and going to town

sight in after chronographing with the magneetospeed
I get 90% there with it on at 25 yards. When shooting groups I do the final adjustments at longer yardage and only have to click it a few clicks to finalize it. I should add that I use a ballistic app as well to tell me how high it needs to be at 25y for a 200y zero.

Before I figured that out I was in the same boat as you.

If you are verifying factory load velocities for drop tables get a $99 optical chrono. If you are using it for load development get a labradar hands down. If you do a little reloading you will love its simplicty and accuracy, if you do a lot it will pay for itself in time and rounds. I went from optical to Magneto back to optical because of the short comings of the magneto to labradar. Labradar wins by a country mile. The magneto changes barrel harmonics so you have to shoot one set of rounds for velocity and a second set for groupings. And it has a very irritating tendancy to shift on the barrel and even losen enough to fall off.

I purchased a magneto and regret it, should of just bought the labradar and done it right

If you can get by with the sporter model the magneto speed is the best value going in my opinion. If you need much more in the way of features or ability to use on a can or heavy barrel, the Labradar isn’t that much more than a magneto v3.
good advice, I run a can on 5 rifles and several of the others are heavy barrel single shot hi walls or Ballards so this is very helpful.

Not sure how often this is an actual issue, but I've heard labradars are very fragile. It's what pushed me to a magneto speed. Someone with a labradar may be able to chime in and provide more insight.

Save $100 on the Leupold VX-3HD

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jack the bear
Back