What are you guys paying for gas?

I imagine that demand for some types of fuel are very elastic while others are fairly inelastic.

For instance jet fuel, there aren't a ton of "necessary" reasons to fly especially post Covid. While at the same time people need to get groceries and go to work. I think peak pandemic flights were down 85-95% while gasoline usage was down ~40%, though that only lasted for a few weeks.

So I imagine that "$6" gas is a bit of a metaphor for the upper limit.

I found round trip tickets from Denver to Boston last year for $250, I just paid $800 for one... I've got to imagine that changes some folks plans.

Also I don't think that percentage wise demand has to drop all that much to cause prices to drop, the average for 2020- early 2021 was ~15% below normal. So something like a 5% reduction likely get's us back in the reasonable price range.

Which is also the reason I think companies are a bit hesitant to ramp up production too much, it takes a while to go from drilling to pump so if you ramp up 40% and then by the time your gas get's to market demand has dropped 5% you could be looking at $45 oil again.

Also
"The markets are telling us there's a shortage," Jim Mitchell, Refinitiv's head of Americas oil analysts, told Insider. "This is a tailwind for inflation. We're demanding more diesel than anyone can supply."

I remember the chorus of calls in 2007-2008 to build more refineries...and nothing got built. Rinse and repeat, I guess.

Anyone want to sell me a bike?

Attachments

• A1F553C9-D3EF-4730-B932-67931C77B184.jpeg
    A1F553C9-D3EF-4730-B932-67931C77B184.jpeg
    897.6 KB · Views: 3
$4.25 average price in NM. No price controls or anti gouging laws. Prices set by stores.

what me worry?

"The markets are telling us there's a shortage," Jim Mitchell, Refinitiv's head of Americas oil analysts, told Insider. "This is a tailwind for inflation. We're demanding more diesel than anyone can supply."

I remember the chorus of calls in 2007-2008 to build more refineries...and nothing got built. Rinse and repeat, I guess.
I remember Brian Schweitzer on 60 Minutes telling everyone how we could make diesel from Montana coal. That idea didn't go any where either.

275 bucks to fill up. Had to run my card twice. Wonder how many campers will be for sale this summer that got bought 2 years ago.

Makes me hinder my jet boat dreams when you average 1.8 to 2.7 miles per gallon

Has anyone cut back on their driving? That’s the only thing that will stop the prices from rising.
Yah, people will shop online more maybe. Oh wait they use diesel to deliver that. The only place your able to really cut back is recreational. People still have to go to work, kids gotta go to school, gotta grocery shop.

Yes we have with work considerably.
These freight companies are completely asinine. We got a freight quote from a guy to deliver us some equipment (atv sized creates) not drive on.

6500 bucks from Minneapolis to Billings, half a trailer load AND THAT WAS A SPLIT COST. The full load to Montana was 13k😳.

Needless to say he didn't get the job

It’s possible. Just like it’s possible to make diesel from plastic. What is possible and what is realistic are rarely the same thing.
Either the process wasn't economical, or no one wanted to make the investment. Haven't heard any renewed interest since the price of diesel has blown up.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
theghostbull
Back