What are you currently reading?

I read a lot during hunting season. Sometimes passing time on all day sits, during road trips, and back at camp to help fall asleep. Here are some books I've read since driving out to the CO ML Elk opener:
- Next to Last Stand - Craig Johnson (Longmire Series), I'm a sucker for these books particularly around hunting season. I love reading western themed books on western trips.
- True Grit - Charles Portis, a classic but still a great quick read.
- Salvation on Sand Mountain - Dennis Covington, I was a religion major in college and like books that take a deep dive into religious beliefs.
- All the Pretty Horses, The Crossing, Cities on the Plain - Cormac McCarthy, these are in some ways the "new classics" and are more than worth reading. His writing style takes some getting used to and these books are in my opinion more stories about life and less about chasing a plot. They all make you think and reflect as well. The also create an uneasiness which is nice compared to our "always seeking the happy ending" society.
- The Sentinel - Lee Child, this is the newest book in the Jack Reacher series. Lee's brother Andrew is taking over the Reacher series going forward and I think that will be good as the series has been a little flat recently in my opinion. I have read all of the Reacher books and one tends to come out every year right around the Indiana whitetail rut so I appreciate the timing. There is a lot of talk of guns and shooting in these books written by a guy who I gather doesn't know a lot about guns or shooting, but they are still well written page turners. I once read four Reacher books in 9 days.

Thanks for this thread - I am an active reader and always looking for new great reads!

I am rereading a lot of Zane Grey. Read most of them 40 to 50 years ago.

Do not remember most.

Totally romantic.

I do not remember the racism of his novels when I first read them. Damn, he was a total racist. Did not recognize 40 plus years ago.

Still a good read.

Just finished Cadillac Jack by Larry McMurtry, give it 3.5 stars. Thanks to some of you I also read Death in the Long Grass and Last Horizons by Capstick, 4 stars. Starting the latest from Stephen King, The Institute

Just finished Desert Solitaire and now on Monkey Wrench Gang. I've kind of been on an Edward Abbey kick lately.
Both are excellent books. My other favorite Abbey book, which may be even more accessible than Desert Solitaire, is The Journey Home, a collection of short essays/stories/recollections, much in the style of Desert Solitaire, but covering more territory.

Last edited:
Both are excellent books. My other favorite Abbey book, which may be even more accessible than Desert Solitaire, is The Journey Home, a collection of short essays/stories/recollections, much in the style of Desert Solitaire, but covering more territory.
Some different Edward Abbey, if you wish, "The Brave Cowboy" is something I just finished. If someone would like to read it, shoot me an address and I'll mail it.

Mrs45 indulged me in an afternoon of thrift shopping and I tripped over something called, "Confessions of an Eco-Redneck, or how I learned to gut-shoot trout & and save the wilderness at the same time." by Steve Chapple. (Perseus Publishing, 2001)

I had never heard of him, but I'm ROFLOMAO.

Short chapters for those of us with short attention spans. Some wink-wink adult humor written such as to go over the heads of the kiddies.

Mrs45 indulged me in an afternoon of thrift shopping and I tripped over something called, "Confessions of an Eco-Redneck, or how I learned to gut-shoot trout & and save the wilderness at the same time." by Steve Chapple. (Perseus Publishing, 2001)

I had never heard of him, but I'm ROFLOMAO.

Short chapters for those of us with short attention spans. Some wink-wink adult humor written such as to go over the heads of the kiddies.
Sounds like something I would enjoy. Going to have to check that one out!

Just finished Cadillac Jack by Larry McMurtry, give it 3.5 stars. Thanks to some of you I also read Death in the Long Grass and Last Horizons by Capstick, 4 stars. Starting the latest from Stephen King, The Institute
The Institute is fantastic, in my opinion. I really enjoyed it. I'm reading The Outsider right now.

I tried Dune recently and just could not get into it. Too boring... but I'm of the understanding that it's a pretty divisive read, with not many people falling outside of the love/hate camps.

I just finished All Systems Red by Martha Wells. Pretty short story, not bad but not lifechanging. Next on the list is The Empress of Salt and Fortune by Nghi Vo.

Just finished this one. The author was a financial minister for Danzig between the wars. He sat with Hitler many times until he resigned in 1934.

Very, very interesting. 20210124_130234.jpg

The outsider is very good, better than the institute imo. I don’t think any of his later books compare to what I consider his heyday from the ‘80’s to about 2000.
I can agree with that. I have read some weaker stories from King (Cell), and some excellent ones (The Stand), the others are somewhere between all that on the spectrum, and I still have dozens to go. Have you read Joe Hill's books? I liked NOS4A2 enough to put Horns and Heart-Shaped Box on my list once I have some room. Plus, Joe Hill's author's note following the end of NOS4A2 specifically mentioned Lonesome Dove as one of the books he considers the "great American novel" and pushed me to finally start it.

Yeti GOBOX Collection

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clamwc
Back