Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

What are you currently reading?

Moved on to Nevada Barr's Anna Pigeon novels and Craig Johnson's Walt Longmire novels.

I have had a nice string of great novels.

During my sabbatical:
Legends of the Fall, Jim Harrison
Brown Dog, Jim Harrison
In search of Small Gods, Jim Harrison
Geology of Arches and Canyonlands National Parks
Beyond the Hundredth Meridian, Wallace Stegner
Where the Red Fern Grows (to my kids)

Brown Dog is good. Legends of the Fall is very good. But note that LOF is a compilation of three short stories, the last of which is actually LOF. The others are very good as well, but he saves the best for last.

Just started Mink River by Brian Doyle
I read LOF a few years ago and Brown Dog earlier this year. I really, really like Harrison's writing. Maybe In Search of Small Gods will be next

I read LOF a few years ago and Brown Dog earlier this year. I really, really like Harrison's writing. Maybe In Search of Small Gods will be next
Don't bother, it was Harrison's last book of poetry and death was on his mind, and there's a reason he's better know for his fiction than his poetry.

Just started reading this. I’ve enjoyed all of Michael Lewis’ books, and this one seems like another that will go really deep on some threads of a topic that we mostly understand only on a more superficial level.

View attachment 182453
I finished this a few days ago, and I recommend it highly. All of Lewis’ stuff is good, but this book was very timely and especially well done.

Now I’m reading something that’s hunting-related for once: Great Hunting Rifles-Victorian to the Present by Terry Wieland, the shooting editor for Gray’s. Also recommended.

Just finished 'Grant' by Ron Chernow. Book in one hand, dictionary in the other. Great read but extremely looong and detailed. Just started 'Walk in My Combat Boots.' Series of fairly short personal stories of combat.

A sort of very deep travel guide written about the mountainous chunks of Montana, Idaho and Wyoming. Written in 1950. It’s funny and tragic when juxtaposed against reality 70 years later, but the author is a good writer and knows his stuff.

3BB3EDCC-315E-4982-852E-7C3550BCC148.jpeg

1621921649250.png

Turns out it's less about the whiskey and really about the relationship between fathers and sons.
Wright Thompson is often referred to as the greatest living sports writer. I think that's dismissive and disrespectful to how good a writer he actually is.

Last edited:
Just started Moby Dick. I ordered a bunch of "classics" I'd never read while Amazoning under the influence. Next is Hatchet.

I also have The Guns of August on the go but that one is my bear hunting treestand novel.

If you are thinking of an African safari have a go at, Scramble For Africa, by Tom Pakenham. It’s length is a little daunting but it reads easily.

Just started Moby Dick.
Prepare yourself
Finally finished GD Moby Dick. Did you know that in a book that is 604 pages (my copy) old Mody Dick doesn't actually appear in the story until page 578? 550 page on whaling and odd metaphors and 30 pages where a whale attacks a boat and kills almost everyone. Sure seems like the editor failed on that one.

Back