Caribou Gear Tarp

What are the deer/elk up to in your area?

I guess they're hiding in the bushes, hiding and nursing babies.
I haven't seen a deer in a couple of months now.
We've got good water, good browse, decent temps and heavy cover. No reason for them to move very far.

Man, the slanted afternoon light, pine trees and row crops with summer coat does all scattered about... I've seen this image a thousand times and I still love it anytime I drive past a similar scene
I thought it was too good to not stop for a pic.

Tonight there was something happening w the local ungulates. @ 1st I thought it was a full moon, not hardly. Maybe it is a change to high pressure after 2 weeks of rain. I love a mystery, and that is what this was. I was driving home from a hike through our public lands. Sun had gone behind the dominant peaks west of the valley I drove along. Just after 8 pm a tall racked muley buck posed in a grassy meadow as I rolled by, I neglected to photo him. Around the next curve this Forest Service road crosses a creek. As I slowed for the crossing, a young bull elk bolted from getting a drink and was gone before I got the camera out. I felt like I had a lucky evening of game spectating. Quarter mile later, @ 10.5K elev, I took this.

Nohigh pronghorn.JPG
Now the camera is zoomed and ready. Drove a mile down valley, this beauty crosses the road in front of me.

cow pony park.JPG

And she meets her jogging pal.2 cows pony parkIMG_1071.JPG
1/2 mile toward the highway, its ladies night.
elk herd 2 pony park 7-7-21.JPG
Another 400 yards, this guy
pronghorn buck pony park 7-7-21.JPG
And he did what they do, RUNN OFT
pronghorn running pony park 7-7-21.JPG

All that game in 15 min is special in my experience. Still wondering why.

Last edited:
Cows & calves around with bull sign down by the tanks. Been pretty nocturnal with the heat in June.
Plenty of elk around,even with the poor feed.

Rains came,finally, and it's greening up some. We need a wet soggy monsoon season and a early heavy winter,or 2 or 3 to get the range back.

Have not seen a deer around here in a year. Not many any more.
And I have a late mz tag for my unit. Looks like Rio & I will have windshield time. Very low success rate last year.

Living in the summer range it is always fun to watch the elk. The other day there were 12 cows and yearlings accompanied by 7 calves. The concert of mewing, barks and bugles make the concert fun.

That was followed by a big bull and three young bulls in my hay field.

Yesterday there were 10-15 cows down along the creek off of I-15. But when I came home from a meeting there were two elk herds of about 75 just off the freeway.
Shame they don't stick around till fall.

I spent sunrise this morning in one of the best ways possible. I was watching/listening to a herd of cows & calves from my lawn chair where my front porch will be. They were down by the newer tank and slowly moved across the valley & up onto the mesa.
Noisy group. All the same,all different at the same time. It went on for over an hour.
Cool!
And it's looking like rain this week! Like, NM muddy roads rain.

Had a nice evening drive through the area where I do most of my hunting. The sky is overcast and it's raining off an on and the deer are out in droves. Saw a few dozen does, a few bucks and three spotted fawns following various does. Two of the bucks were together and they were both shockingly nice deer to be out by a paved road. Short tines but really long, wide main beams. Nothing beats riding around when the deer are really out and about.

Just went out at sunrise with Rio to take a leak & check the smoke. Standing there......I see 2 bulls moseying on up the side draw. Had to wait to run in and get the binos....1st bulls I've seen in daylight in a while. 500 yrds.
The back bull is a nice 6x6,full velvet sausages growing. Going to be a good one.
The other is a big boy. Huge royals,massive whale tail,with a 7th growing. He hops my fence & heads towards trees. Stops to feed,then looks right at me & walks away.
The little guy,lol, keeps feeding towards fence then turns to look at me,hops the fence & follows bb into the trees.
Looking forward to a deluge,or hoping for a few. Been in high 90's with tons of smoke from ID fires they say. Monsoon has been trying to get going here. Maybe today. The green grass these guys had been feeding on will be gone soon if we don't get more rain. Regardless,these 2 look like decent growth with a couple weeks to go possibly.

MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hardan9
Back