What an awesome time!

POk3s

....and the batteries have been charged! The soul is refreshed! In the elk woods once again and it was just how I remembered it! AWESOME!

Hunt started for me on the morning of September 2nd with the wind howling and me hiking about 5 miles in (up and down) and staying the whole day. Ended up seeing 19 elk I think. I passed up a spike early in the morning on September 3rd. Had him at 30 yards broadside in the trees just staring at me. First time I have ever passed up a bull elk in my life, but hey it was the second day i was hunting, only the third day of the season, and I would like a branch antlered bull...and I didn't wanna be done elk hunting yet . I was also able to get to about 65 yards from a good bull. I was going to set up on this meadow as my dad has seen elk come through there the night before. The next night I was walking up there well before dark and saw this elk on the edge of the meadow as I was looking for a spot to sit down. I never got a good view of his shoulder as he was partially hidden by a little lip and some trees. The tree he was behind was 54 yards. I would like to get to 50 yards just because they're such big animals!!! I never got to count points as he was staring right at me. he wasn't what I would call a rag horn however as he had a nice circular rack. Definitely not huge but a good 5 or maybe even a small 6 point. As big bulls do he slowly turned straight away from me and walked off...never making a sound.

My dad was able to get to 38 yards from a 5 point in the trees. About the time he was preparing for the shot THAT bull for no reason walked straight away from him offering no shot. and, my buddy was able to get 30 yards away from a cow he would've shot. It came out of the trees as he got his bow drawn and locked right onto him quartered to him a little and with only her head showing. No shot there! That's just how bowhunting goes. All in all I personally saw close to 100 elk. about 50 in one morning! Was within 70 yards of 5 different elk just no shot opportunities or too small/ cows/calves. I was able to let an arrow go today (3 times) as I stumbled upon some grouse on my way back to camp after messing with 4 bugling bulls for over an hour. I just didn't want to drop into the nasty hole they were in (like I did on the 3rd). I'll go in after them next week.

Here are some pics from the long weekend.
Commisary2.jpg

Commisary.jpg

Dinner in the backcountry ;)
Dinner.jpg

The custom made grouse slayer does the job again! Not a better small game head on the planet if you ask me. It's just the end of a 12 gauge shotgun shell with your field tip screwed in where the primer would be. It is DEADLY!
Grouse2.jpg

Grouse3.jpg

grouse1.jpg

Cool pics. I like the custom judo.

They are good target practice and tasty to boot. A few years ago in Quebec I was shooting ptarmigan with zwickeys. One of the camp managers wanted to come with us one day to see what these bows were all about. I shot a couple birds at real close range and this Guy thought I was Fred Bear, by the way he reacted.

Anyway good luck. Have to try the shotgun shell out sometime.

hahaha ya with my "new" bow (it's now a year old) I actually have to remember to aim high with my 20 when they're less then 20 yards. It's a pretty good WHACK when that shotgun judo hits. I shot the "mama" with the first shot....spun her all the way around and the arrow stayed in her. Shot some last year out of trees. The tip works perfect to pass through the other side but the arrow always seems to stay in them and then they just fall to the ground. Go pick your arrow up and whack some more!

That sucks. I was hoping you'd beat the odds and would be able to arrow a ram in a general area. How many of each did you see?

Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Juicer52
Back