What am I missing? Wyoming Antelope 38-2

Cornell Cowboy

The number of first choice applicants for a Wyoming 38-2 tag jumped from 74 in 2021 (2nd choice was 114, 3rd was 30) to 233 in 2022 (2nd choice was 255, 3rd was 101). That's a bump of more than 300% for an area with very little public land and a dwindling antelope population (as evidenced by the SEVERE cutback in doe/fawn tags). What secret am I missing that everyone else seems to know?

Was it a hunt/unit showcased on any youtube or television platforms with a large reach? (THP, MeatEater, FT, Hushin, etc?) That's the only thing I could think of???

Has happened every year since preference points began. Like you, other people scan the drawing odds, and after not drawing a license for several years, decide to switch to an area where their points will allow them to draw a license. Hunting is more fun than waiting.

Has happened every year since preference points began. Like you, other people scan the drawing odds, and after not drawing a license for several years, decide to switch to an area where their points will allow them to draw a license. Hunting is more fun than waiting.
?? I'm a resident...preference points don't come into play for antelope.

It was easy to draw last year and an easy choice for a second choice option for me this year. I'm guessing there were a lot of folks thinking them same thing. I didn't draw it either.

It was easy to draw last year and an easy choice for a second choice option for me this year. I'm guessing there were a lot of folks thinking them same thing. I didn't draw it either.
I gets the odds part, I just don't see very many areas to hunt...at least not for that number of people.

The number of first choice applicants for a Wyoming 38-2 tag jumped from 74 in 2021 (2nd choice was 114, 3rd was 30) to 233 in 2022 (2nd choice was 255, 3rd was 101). That's a bump of more than 300% for an area with very little public land and a dwindling antelope population (as evidenced by the SEVERE cutback in doe/fawn tags). What secret am I missing that everyone else seems to know?
Here is what happens:

Unit had easy draw odds last year.

Gohunt listed the odds in their database.

25000 Gohunt members look at antelope draw odds. Sort by best draw percentages. See that unit has good odds, expect good odds to carry over year to year.

Gohunt Members apply in droves.

Odds go to poo.

That happens with new hunts. The first year not many are aware of it and it slips under the radar. 2nd year draw odds look great so lots of apps. Same thing happened with 119-2 deer.

Yeah. There are a lot of people just trying to find the better odds. Especially people who don’t care much about the hunt quality and just want the meat. There have been other hunt codes do the same thing. One code I used to hunt had like 90% on first choice, go hunt pdds data came out and the unit went from 90% to under 10% in one year. It was a type 2 tag and very limited in area, the funny part was the type one tag for the same area actually got better odds?

People tend to not consider long term
Data and trends.

I have started using Gohunt as a tool for red flagging tags to avoid. Basically use the strategy articles to eliminate units to look into and apply for. It is amazing how large their following has become and how much trust folks put into their advice.

Spoiler alert: I still don't draw anything good.

I have started using Gohunt as a tool for red flagging tags to avoid. Basically use the strategy articles to eliminate units to look into and apply for. It is amazing how large their following has become and how much trust folks put into their advice.

Spoiler alert: I still don't draw anything good.
Before GoHunt it was Eastmans!

Was new last year (as others have mentioned); plus it’s close to the largest density of residents.

I wonder if the type 1 applicants decreased this year. I can see a lot of residents with access to places south of 34 applying for a type 1 last year, learning their lesson and putting type 2 this year

Back