Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

What am I missing? Wyoming Antelope 38-2

Doesn't help that it is a wintering area and hundreds may be along the highway at any given time late in winter.
Folks see that and think they are doing well.

I think part of it might also be gas related - little less distance to drive for antelope might play into peoples thought process.

Was new last year (as others have mentioned); plus it’s close to the largest density of residents.

I wonder if the type 1 applicants decreased this year. I can see a lot of residents with access to places south of 34 applying for a type 1 last year, learning their lesson and putting type 2 this year
I think you may be on to something with respect to people with access to private in 38 (like me 😁). It looks like there was a decrease in Type 1 first choice applicants -- that could account for a couple hundred.

I've tried to tell the g&f that the type 2 is a bad idea on the Laramie side, but so far they have kept the same regs. There are very few antelope on the Laramie side. Fawn recruitment is way down, again. Hunting antelope around here into November is a BIG mistake.

I've tried to tell the g&f that the type 2 is a bad idea on the Laramie side, but so far they have kept the same regs. There are very few antelope on the Laramie side. Fawn recruitment is way down, again. Hunting antelope around here into November is a BIG mistake.
At least on my property, fawn recruitment seems fine -- most does have twins with a few having only singles...I think the lack of an early June blizzard helped!

That's good to hear, but I haven't seen as many. One year we counted 14 fawns with does around our place. This year we've only seen a few. The herd in 38 is a shadow of what it used to be. Hopefully it's better in other areas.

That's good to hear, but I haven't seen as many. One year we counted 14 fawns with does around our place. This year we've only seen a few. The herd in 38 is a shadow of what it used to be. Hopefully it's better in other areas.
I agree that the overall herd numbers are down, but the fawn recruitment for the does remaining seems good this year, so I'm hopeful that the population will come back in a few years.

Yep, fawn recruitment is looking better on this side, just not right near Laramie. Doe have more twins this year than last.
Range is in better shape too, in some areas.
Right near Laramie conditions are not like a little farther north and NE. Better moisture this spring has range in better shape.
I think pronghorn may be hanging out up near the better conditions, they move quite a bit in 38.

Not sure why you say that when the herd spends a good deal of time in Albany Co. Some of those pronghorn migrate from south of Laramie to up along 34 and then east towards Wheatland. They lounge on part of the winter range near Bosler Junction and east of there til snow pushes them towards Wheatland through Sybille canyon. They cross highway 34 multiple times during the migration.

Because there aren't enough antelope to justify an area wide season open through November. The hunt was created entirely to appease private landowners sustaining damages in a portion of 38 toward wheatland.

Sorry Hi, now I get what you are saying, comprehension issue here, lol.
Yeah, the biologist said there would be access for that tag because of the damage. None that I saw or could get info on.
Oddly those pronghorn like to winter north of 34 when they get to the Wheatland side some years.
That license was not thought out very well it seems.

It is neat to see hundreds file up to and through Sybille Canyon for winter, used to be thousands.

Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tvrguy
Back