Western hunting help for a rookie

CoachA

I am a school teacher in Alabama and always had a dream to hunt out west. Having grown up in Alabama, the thought of hunting in such wide open spaces awesome. Also I am used to hunting in very tight areas. There is very few areas where a person can see more than 2 to 3 hundred yards. The help that I need is pretty much with everything to do with the hunting, such as equipment and scheduling. I do have some ideas about equipment but me being a teacher I cant afford the most expensive in everything. It will most likely take me a little while to get all of the equipment. As far as scheduling, I don't really know where to start because I am not real sure where I will be going or how I will get there. When I figure out that I know the scheduling will be easier to do. My biggest hurdle at the moment is getting to right equipment. I would like for it to be a camp style hunt but I am not sure if that would be possible with with My Cpap. If any one has a list of materials or suggestions about anything I would greatly appreciate it. This hunt is going to be an over the counter tag for either mule deer or elk. Thank You very much!

Last edited:
If you dig on the forums, you'll find this question asked quite a bit (what to bring, where to go, etc.) I would tell you a few things coming from AL:

1. Start getting in shape now. You think you're good at 300ft elevation, but when you get to basecamp at 5K ft and then climb up to 8K ft, you'll be dying. So do everything you can now to limit that.

2. Pick an animal and go for it! I would recommend going guided since you've never been out here and we don't need you becoming a headline. Of course, that will up your price but you might be able to find some short sales (canceled trips, auctions)

3. Learn everything you can. Listen to podcasts, pick up books, watch youtube. Become a student of the game.

Not to dissuade you from wanting to hunt mule deer or elk, but IMO pronghorn hunting is a great option for a first time western hunt. Just something to think about.

My neighbor brought his CPAP with him on our trip to WY this year, but only used it in the hotels on the trip out and back. If you are truck camping I assume you could run it off a generator/inverter?

PS- Don't over think the gear thing. It's what a lot of folks and bandwidth deal with, but IMO it's a bit overplayed.

I wouldn't mind doing an antelope hunt at some point but the Elk and Mule deer is my dream. I wouldn't using a guide but again I havent ever done that either. Got any suggestions on what to look for in a guide or guide service?

Do you have a fall break? My girls are out for the 3rd week in October usually, lots of deer and elk seasons during that time.

I'd spend the money on the gear rather than the guide.

Not to dissuade you from wanting to hunt mule deer or elk, but IMO pronghorn hunting is a great option for a first time western hunt. Just something to think about.

100% this for a lot of reason. Antelope aren't super physically demanding, you get lots of chances, they eat well and its just a great first western experience. The biggest challenge is just deciding to go and doing it.

Mule deer can be as hard or reasonable as the unit you hunt and is still a DIY hunt in a lot of ways. Generally more glassing than antelope hunting and the hunt plays out a little slower.

Elk hunting there are few short cuts to time and physical effort almost always in difficult terrain. I think if its your dream hunt I'd go guided based on what I'm hearing.

Agreed with trying pronghorn first, however with your school schedule I am assuming something around Thanksgiving would fit your time off better. I agree to not overthink the gear and to get in shape......good shape asap. There are some spike camp do it yourself outfitters out there but I don't have any suggestions. It may be easier to pay a tresspass fee to ranchar and hunt from a hotel than to accumulate camping gear. That is of course if you are starting from scratch. A simple camper will take care of most of the trouble.

Give us an idea of what hunting and camping gear you have and we can make better recommendations. Also as suggested there's a ton of threads just like this. Look through them and then ask a ton of questions to personalize your situation even better.

Again, a pronghorn hunt may be the answer for a first step towards an elk or mule deer hunt. I completely understand not wanting to be guided for monetary and pride reasons. Pronghorn may get you out quicker, cheaper and with a higher success rate than jumping right into mule deer or elk.

I completely agree with the feedback above. I would start with a pronghorn hunt and get a feel for hunting out west. I know you've said you don't want to hunt antelope, but it's a lot of fun, you'll see a lot, have a lot of success and it'll make you want to come back the next year.

The two most important things are a good set of boots and a good pack. Also a good gps with a public lands chip is extremely helpful along with a quality set of Binoculars.

Elk and mule deer hunting is not easy to someone who hasn't hunted out west.

First figure out where and when you want to hunt. Check the tags and seasons for what Antelope & Mule Deer may be open at the same time. Maybe do a combo Antelope & Mule Deer Hunt in the same area. If your going for Elk concentrate on Elk only, A Mule Deer could be a bonus during your hunt.

Thank you guys for the help. I don't have any idea what to expect with a western hunt. I am not used to having to use my eyes to find deer. Where I normally hunt your ears are a hunters greatest asset to seeing deer. Of course if you are sitting over a large cut-over you would possibly see them first but that doesnt happen often.

Back