Western Bowhunters

It depends on what your hunting and how well you know your area. Most Antelope are taken from blinds on water holes, and spot and stalk. Some guys hunt elk in tree stands over water or wallows in the afternoons after calling inn the morning. Most mulies are spot and stalk hunting I can never figure out what water they are using to set up a blind. But I would say most hunting is spot with a good set of glasses then stalk.

I agree with Rich, a good set of glasses followed by a stalk. I had never used a treestand until I went back east to hunt your whitetail. It took some getting use to
smile.gif
Hardest part is staying awake after you get warm!

Mule deer do not really pattern. They will stay in one area for a long period of time, but pressure them a little and you might find them 3 miles away the next day. Each year, according the amount of rain, is different also. You might find them up real high, and the following year down in the sage brush. Good pre season scouting is a must. Then if you want those big ol Mulie Bucks, well get out the walking boots cause he's gonna live in the deepest, thickest part of the state. I get a hoot when people say our Mule Deer are stupid, stand and look at you as you drive by them. But those big boys didn't get big by being stupid, they are one tough hunt. I was stalking a big 5x5 one day and lost him in the brush. Not a sight nor sound of him. Then I came upon a trail, and he had literally belly crawled out of the area, unbelievable. What a hunt.

Good luck with your western adventures, you'll love it.

[This message has been edited by huntersvision (edited 01-08-2001).]

Spot and stalk if in semi open to open country but if hunting real thick stuff I still hunt.

Elk hunting is all of the above plus calling. When they are vocal this is by far the funnest but also the most challanging. It doesn't look as easy as it does in the movies.

------------------
plunger.gif
elksil.jpg

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mmarshall173
Back