Well this sucks

jryoung

Last weekend hunting the storm kicked the elk into migration mode...and it's not as if they migrate from public to private, it's the migrate from MT to ID.

I just got this email back from the Biologist.

It appears that this might be one of those years where winter comes early. It’s been snowing here all day today, with the prediction of up to 10’ in the high country. I suspect this will be enough to move a lot of elk, if they haven’t already started to move from last weeks’ snow. My observation is that once those elk decide to move, then they go. They don’t seem to hang up on the forest for awhile or waffle up and down in the drainage. They just go single file over the hill. A few years back I was flying a goat survey in that area in late September. We had just gotten a little bit of snow and sure enough there was a line of elk heading over the ridge to Idaho. It doesn’t take much to get them moving this time of year.

Being that it's too late to scout another area I need to figure out a place to go. The Big Hole was ideal for us as it's mild terrain was ideal for my Dad who has a fake hip and fused back.

If any of you fine gentlemen care to share a bit of advice I'd be most grateful. For sure I'm eating my B tag for the Big Hole, but I'd still like to fill at least one of the general tags we have (Dad, brother, nephew and me).

I assume you are talking about rifle season later this month? Send me a PM. When I get back from this NM hunt, I have a couple weeks to snoop around and I will be in search of a public land bull here in SW MT. If I find some that are in tamer ground I will let you know.

Thanks Randy, we're willing to forgo some of the flatter terrain, Dad will have to just suck it up :) But, certainly wilderness areas are out...you know because they are a conspiracy from the greenies. :D

Ha...my brother STILL owes me the $969 from me buying his MT big game combo in March.

Though, Dad lives in Bonners Ferry so he can get a resident license.

If my learning grounds in WA wasn't true spike only I'd seriously consider the additional cash outlay. I know that country like the back of my had, but true spike only is a tall order.

Is that the area that used to (or may still be) known as the firing line back in the 50s-60s?

Last weekend hunting the storm kicked the elk into migration mode...and it's not as if they migrate from public to private, it's the migrate from MT to ID.

Being that it's too late to scout another area I need to figure out a place to go. The Big Hole was ideal for us as it's mild terrain was ideal for my Dad who has a fake hip and fused back.

If any of you fine gentlemen care to share a bit of advice I'd be most grateful. For sure I'm eating my B tag for the Big Hole, but I'd still like to fill at least one of the general tags we have (Dad, brother, nephew and me).

I'll be flying the big hole in a couple of weeks. I will let you know if what the biologist said is true...

He must be the liberal in the family.:D

I probably have the most liberal views in the family. But, I'm more than happy to pay the $969 for him and my Dad if it means a week in the woods and hunting. Small price to pay for everlasting memories.

Wingman1, Appreciate the help, but both last year and on last weekends hunt the day after the storm there was a single file trail of elk tracks headed straight for Idaho.

There may be a few stragglers around, but with weather coming in this week too I'm sure the vast majority of elk are up and over.

Fair enough jr. Your familily is welcome to base camp on my property in the Blackfoot if you like. Unit 283. Good whitetails down low. Bit of a climb to get into the elk and mule deer. I can point you out to best places to hunt for any of the above. Elk numbers are not the best right now however.

Big Hole was a favored area many years ago for the thick timbered land of the W/NW area of MT. Then the fires and wolves really twisted it into migratory action as resident herds fled elsewhere.
I've considered the area worth returning for a visit, just not enough time to spend properly scouting to fill a reasonable hunt.
SW MT is where hunters should spend their time. :hump:

Not sure id place 100% confidence in a biologist view. Call me a cynic. First rule of elk hunting is never give up, don't throw in the towel 3 weeks and a couple hundred miles away, seems silly. You have to believe.

PS I've never hunted elk in the Big Hole

I would have no doubt this is happening now. When snow is deep crossing from the Big Hole into Idaho is not fun even for an elk. Even the locals don't like to spend winters in the valley. They get when the getting is good.

Last edited:
Good point. Never give up but, on a slow trot those suckers can cover some serious ground. Doesn't matter whether they are coming from MT or just on the move. You have to be at the right time at the right place. Hoping we are there on the 13th for opening.......

Not sure id place 100% confidence in a biologist view. Call me a cynic. First rule of elk hunting is never give up, don't throw in the towel 3 weeks and a couple hundred miles away, seems silly. You have to believe.

PS I've never hunted elk in the Big Hole

. Doesn't matter whether they are coming from MT or just on the move. You have to be at the right time at the right place. Hoping we are there on the 13th for opening.......

what dink said.

you are never in the right place at the right time if sitting at home.

I'm pretty sure that quite a few Big Hole elk that migrate still stay in Montana. mtmuley

I'm pretty sure that quite a few Big Hole elk that migrate still stay in Montana. mtmuley

A number of them go into the East Fork, which is unit 270, which requires a special permit. The majority of elk boogie out of the Big Hole when the snow starts piling up.

I keep pounding Google Earth with HuntingGPSmaps overlay, but one question that keeps coming up for me is here is the snowline in general right now in SW Montana. I'd happily research that on NOAA.gov, but, well, you know government shutdown and all.

I'm guessing with the early storms that I probably need to be looking under 8,000 and maybe closer to 5 or 6,000 ft which continues to me.

Back