Well There Goes Idaho

Had a fun conversation with a native Californian last night. Apparently, the SCOTUS and the Constitution are both unconstitutional.....and that we are not a Republic but a Constitutional Republic.

Maybe this is part of the problem, he has no plans to leave California continuing the whackadoodle braintrust here of folks who have no sense of reality

He was not amused by my explanation of the differences between the Enclave and Property Clauses.

Last edited:
This week -30s to -50s so I don't think we will have an extensive immigration of Californians.
Alaska has lost population the past 3 years.

So much hypocrisy.

Would someone who believes in this, "progressive socialized" agenda please pay for everyone's WSJ subscription? If you do, I might look the other way when you want to change Montana's Stream Access laws. might not...

I am a recent migrant. We moved to SW MT almost 3 years ago. I was drawn by the mountains, but we wanted to move to a place where people shared our values. I love Colorado and it made more sense for us to move there, because we would be much closer to family, but I couldn’t get past the liberal transition that had taken place over the last few years.

The biggest problem that I see here now is the cost of housing and that’s one of the reasons that you are seeing more people from the west coast moving here, than from any other location. The price of an average home has gone up by about $100k since we were looking to move here less than 3 years ago. People from California and some other places are selling their homes there for huge prices and paying cash for high priced homes here. Most people from down south, where I moved from, can’t do that. That means more people from liberal areas are moving here than conservative areas. I don’t think I could afford to move here now and many people that share the values of native Montanans have been priced out of the market.

Ever since you wrote this I have been seeing it everywhere. It is something that has clicked as very true. A house in our neck of the woods, which was listed for just under a million dollars, that 10 years ago would have been half that, just sold to a young couple who moved from Washington. They're here making normal Montana money now, but they came with capital that few regular Montanans could ever compete with. How the average Montanan buys a house within 20 miles of Helena, Bozeman, Missoula, or Kalispell, is a mystery wrapped in debt and likely poor decisions.

Last week I saw an article on the lowest price home in Bozeman. It was a small, old fixer-upper and it was $379,000.
Everyone who hates how Bozman is changing should applaud this. Pricing people out of a market is the best way to prevent more from coming.

If you're local doesn't that imply you have a place already?

Yes, many are lucky enough to have gotten in before the boom, and now they are either stuck or are moving 30 miles out of town if they want more sq footage.

My smarmy response is not really important. As Gomer pointed out, the asking price for the cheapest home in Bozeman is already far more than someone with Montana's median household income should afford. Most folks are priced out, and Bozeman isn't slowing down.

If you're local doesn't that imply you have a place already?

Tell that to the locals just graduating college that grew up here.

I got incredibly lucky in that I was able to buy a house at the bottom of the market in 2011, and even then I had to buy 30 miles out of town. Had I drug my feet and kept renting, I would've had to leave long ago. Time and time again I see folks I grew up with unable to stay because they can't afford to live here.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Big daddy
Back