Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Well, it's not good. Not religious but prayers are welcomed.

My porch is roughly 40 inches high and the sidewalk is only around 24 feet long. Way too short once I had the numbers for incline.

Yeah, we have a transport service around here but I still need to get her in and out of the house.

After doing some research and talking with my BIL about what they did for their daughter I'm out of room for a ramp. Looks like there are electric lifts that will work for our porch. Under $4K and shipped here in about a week. All I would need to do is rip out the steps and run power out there. Not sure what is under the steps if I would need to pour a base or not. Still would have plenty of time to get that done. Guess I better get my truck ready to sell. 🙄
When my parents needed a lift like this they found a used one for much less than retail, on Craigslist I think. Sending good thoughts to you and yours. A ramp w a switchback?

@Dave N my brother has a commercial grade aluminum ramp with 90 degree turn. He was going to use it for a building a fishing dock. Let me see if he wants to part with it.
Don't bother. I don't have the room for the down ramp after the turn. Appreciate the offer, though.

Yup. ADA is 1:12.
While the ADA has a requirement for commercial building codes, you don't have to follow it in a personal residence. I'm not sure if there is a specific note about ramps in the residential building code in Illinois but if there is, you can get a variance if you are hiring a contractor to do the work. If you are self performing the work, you don't need to have it inspected by the building official and you can do whatever the hell you want. You just assume a limited amount of risk and liability if you do something that doesn't meet code.

Basically stating all of this to point out that if you have 24' to work with, you can building the ramp to just fit. It will be a slope of 40"/24' which is about 1 11/16" per foot which isn't that steep really. I wouldn't fully rule out the ramp and if you go that route, hit me up. I'd gladly come down for a day to help, I'm not that far away :)

While the ADA has a requirement for commercial building codes, you don't have to follow it in a personal residence. I'm not sure if there is a specific note about ramps in the residential building code in Illinois but if there is, you can get a variance if you are hiring a contractor to do the work. If you are self performing the work, you don't need to have it inspected by the building official and you can do whatever the hell you want. You just assume a limited amount of risk and liability if you do something that doesn't meet code.

Basically stating all of this to point out that if you have 24' to work with, you can building the ramp to just fit. It will be a slope of 40"/24' which is about 1 11/16" per foot which isn't that steep really. I wouldn't fully rule out the ramp and if you go that route, hit me up. I'd gladly come down for a day to help, I'm not that far away :)
Thanks. Yeah, I MAY be able to make something work but for the cost of the lumber plus the time involved building a permanent ramp I think I would be better off buying the "elevator" lift and getting it over with. Website said 5-7 days shipping and even with pouring a base if needed it would be done and over with pretty quickly and probably safer in the winter as well.

Guess I'm committed. Lift has been ordered. Front porch steps are GONE! Need to measure the remaining opening and see if the thing will fit or if I need to bust some concrete out of the way before pouring the pad. Have to take a day off of work when it comes, dang thing probably weighs 500 pounds with the crate! Stopped to see her after work today and she had an electric wheelchair beside the bed. Said she had been cruising around the hallway in it earlier and had a huge smile on her face. Rehab has a practice kitchen and even a 1/2 car to get in and out of. I can borrow my SIL's van with chair lift to get her home and use when needed. Got my FMLA paperwork turned in at work and approved so now I can take of whenever it's needed without any pushback from the boss. Plus, my out of pocket has been met, finally, and any more medical bills SHOULD be covered 100%!
thmbsupyes

Looking back, my bonehead move was being brain-locked on using the old steps for the lift area. Once they were out I sat back and admired my work. Then it hit me. I could have taken out a section of porch railing, moved the lift to the side, and KEPT THE STEPS FOR EVERYONE ELSE TO USE! :mad: Oh well. I can take out a smaller section later and put some new steps in.

Went today as usual. Her trach tube is out. Has a bladder infection. Therapy kicking her ass but making progress. Now they say she will continue rehab where she is then the entire rehab department will move to the joint she just came from the first part of September. They plan to release her from there to come home on Sept. 22nd. Got the pad pretty much ready to pour for the lift. Looks like this weekend I'll get that done. Then whenever the lift comes I'll have to put it together and anchor down.

Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tvrguy
Back