Well happy friggin election Oregon... :(

Interestingly there is no provision on bringing firearms into the state. This is only a permit to purchase new firearms.
⬇️
Wllm’s description of the MA rigmarole sounds like a scene from Kafka’s the Castle.

IMHO these laws are written with little to no regard for the pedestrian reality of life, they are solely meant to assuage some folks fears.

Kafka esk. nightmares abound.

I recall reading about the fee cap now, in relation to local PD’s saying they’d never be able to fund a new hire with the amount they’ve capped.

As for bringing them into state, what’s to stop everyone from just taking a road trip to Idaho?
I may be wrong, but I think you can buy a long gun (rifle/shotgun) in ID without residency, but pistols can only be transferred to residents.

Am I understanding correctly that you have to have a permit to purchase the gun, but there is currently not a process in order to get the permit?
This is my current interpretation. You need to get a license to purchase, and acquiring that license goes through the county (?) police, and requires a gun safety course which includes live fire, unloading, and safe storage requirements. At this point it isn't even clear that the concealed weapons classes will satisfy the safety course. The rules for what satisfies the course and which do not are not defined as of yet.

3. If you move to a different town in MA you have to redo much of the process, and there are a crap load of towns.
Are you kidding? (Facetious), holy chit!

One that has me thinking of this Massachusetts law:

Section 12: Manufacturing and selling knives, slung shots, swords, bludgeons and similar weapons
"...provided, however, that sling shots may be manufactured and sold to clubs or associations conducting sporting events where such sling shots are used."

Is this right? You can not purchase a sling shot at a sporting goods store, etc?

I may be wrong, but I think you can buy a long gun (rifle/shotgun) in ID without residency, but pistols can only be transferred to residents.
You can buy a gun out of state, but the seller in that state has to abide by the same rules as the buyer's residency. In theory you need to have the same permit to buy out of state as an OR resident.

This is my current interpretation. You need to get a license to purchase, and acquiring that license goes through the county (?) police, and requires a gun safety course which includes live fire, unloading, and safe storage requirements. At this point it isn't even clear that the concealed weapons classes will satisfy the safety course. The rules for what satisfies the course and which do not are not defined as of yet.

Most current CCW courses won't be sufficient to satisfy this new law. The text specifies a live fire portion.

You can buy a gun out of state, but the seller in that state has to abide by the same rules as the buyer's residency. In theory you need to have the same permit to buy out of state as an OR resident.

I'm not sure how exactly that regulation works but back when I was a California resident neighboring states had a prohibition against selling to us. My grandfather and I were California residents and his cousin was a Nevada resident. On hunting trips his cousin could pop in and purchase rifles while traveling through Oregon, but we could not.

This to me is the least stupid of the requirements. To me CCW and hunter safety ed without a live fire segment is equivalent to getting your permit in Cracker Jacks.

I don't disagree with that sentiment. There are some folks with CCW permits here in Oregon that will make you cringe. I think all you need to pass the course here is a pulse.

I still contend that Idaho is north of the time zone change, and North Utah is south. Although, anymore, Idaho (the real ID) is becoming more and more Arkansonian.
I grew up a few miles from Arkansas so you may not mean what you think you mean. Do you often hear banjo music when out and about? Do you hear things like, "I said you is a marryin' my daughter today but not because you peed in the snow next to my barn but because I knows my daughter's handwritin'?" Or, "You can't marry her son because you says she is a virgin and, well, if she ain't good enough for her family then she ain't good enough for ours neither." Or, "Doc, I need you to hand me back that money I paid you for a vasectomy because all it did was change the color of my babies." Did your high school win the conference swim championship 11 years in a row when there was a bunch of swimmers with 6 webbed toes to power through the water? When Idaho grants a divorce are you still cousins?

This is a poorly worded initiative with some big question marks. The magazine capacity limits seem to have a 180 day buffer, the permit to purchase does not have that same delay built-in.

Key provisions:
  1. No magazines (fixed or removable) with capacity greater than 10 rounds. You may own them and use them on private property, but no new ones can be made or sold in-state (or imported) except for military use.
  2. Purchasing a gun requires a permit which must be renewed every 5 years. Acquisition of the permit requires a safety course with live-fire, loading, unloading, and storage sections. There is not an approved list of satisfactory courses, nor, to my knowledge, is there official guidance for what a full course must cover. Permit application also requires fingerprints.
  3. Gun purchases still require the normal background check.
  4. The permit is "shall issue" but issuing agents have some flexibility on judgement calls - "[The applicant shall be issued a permit as long as the application] Does not present reasonable grounds for a permit agent to conclude that the applicant has been or is reasonably likely to be a danger to self or others, or to the community at large, as a result of the applicant’s mental or psychological state or as demonstrated by the applicant’s past pattern of behavior involving unlawful violence or threats of unlawful violence". There's some room for selective enforcement here - you could give the same application to 10 different people and there's no reasonable guarantee they would all agree on approval or denial.
  5. The permits will be handled by the "police chief or county sheriff with jurisdiction over the residence of the person making the application" (many of which are already understaffed).
  6. The permit (or gun purchase - I'll have to double check) puts you on a permanent gun registry. Details are vague but there does not appear the ballot initiative included a mechanism to remove yourself from the registry.
  7. Appeals of the permit system have to go through the local court system.
Reports are that the background check backlog is currently sitting at over 10,000 deep. I just put in an order today to try and get in before the new regulations take effect. I'm not sure I'll make it.

Last edited:
The prior quote has been my interpretation as well. Handguns being in a different class. I’ve bought a rifle in Vermont with a NYC ID and address on the NICS check without issues.

I'm not sure how exactly that regulation works but back when I was a California resident neighboring states had a prohibition against selling to us. My grandfather and I were California residents and his cousin was a Nevada resident. On hunting trips his cousin could pop in and purchase rifles while traveling through Oregon, but we could not.
I think this is because California specifically prohibits out of state purchases by residents - you need the weapon shipped to CA and then you need to do the whole purchase process in-state.

As far as I understand it, the Oregon law does not prohibit out of state purchases, just requires the same permitting as if you were buying it in-state.

I think this is because California specifically prohibits out of state purchases by residents - you need the weapon shipped to CA and then you need to do the whole purchase process in-state.

As far as I understand it, the Oregon law does not prohibit out of state purchases, just requires the same permitting as if you were buying it in-state.
Not at all an attorney, but would and ID gun store be say, federally obliged to honor Oregon state law on this?

Is this right? You can not purchase a sling shot at a sporting goods store, etc?
The cool ones with the arm support thingy are prohibited in NYC. Maybe the whole state even. I admittedly once did my patriotic duty and smuggled one in to a friend of mine. Don’t tread on me, big government.

Not at all an attorney, but would and ID gun store be say, federally obliged to honor Oregon state law on this?

From Giffords Law Center: https://giffords.org/lawcenter/gun-laws/policy-areas/background-checks/interstate-online-gun-sales/

Long Guns​

Federal law places somewhat looser restrictions on the sale or transfer of long guns like rifles and shotguns across state lines. Under federal law, individuals can lawfully obtain a long gun from a seller or transferor in another state, provided that:
  • Both parties meet in person to conduct the sale or transfer.
  • The sale or transfer is conducted by, or through, a licensed dealer, pursuant to a background check and other requirements.
  • The sale, delivery, and receipt of the long gun fully comply with state law in both parties’ states of residence.7
It looks like the answer to your question is "yes" but I am also not a lawyer

I know I should just find out myself, so feel free to hit me with a “let me Google that for you” link - but is the new OR law as stringent on private party sales as well?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dotun77
Back