Well happy friggin election Oregon... :(

MarvB

Currently on the road in Washington for basketball but got this in my email from SW following the election results...sigh!

Attention Valued Oregon Customers - Oregon Ballot Initiative 114

Based on the passage of Oregon Ballot Initiative 114 and its expectation to take effect on December 08, 2022, Sportsman’s Warehouse currently understands the following impacts to Oregon residents;

*December 07, 2022 (Wednesday) will be the last day to purchase a full capacity firearm magazine (magazine with a capacity greater than 10 rounds).

*December 07, 2022 (Wednesday) will be the last day to purchase a firearm equipped with a full capacity magazine (firearms equipped and sold with magazines holding more than 10 rounds).

*December 07, 2022 (Wednesday) will be the last day to purchase ANY firearm without a valid Oregon Firearm Purchase Permit.

If a firearm customer’s background check is delayed (goes into the “OSP que”) and the approval comes on or after December 08, 2022 (Thursday) – the customer will need a valid Oregon Firearm Purchase Permit to take possession of the firearm. On and after December 08, 2022 (Thursday) all firearm buyers must have an Oregon Firearm Purchase Permit to purchase ANY firearm.

At this time there are no known OR law enforcement agencies issuing the Oregon Firearm Purchase Permit.

The new Oregon Firearm Purchase Permit may require live fire training. Sportsman’s Warehouse is dedicated to serving our Oregon customers and is doing everything possible to satisfy their needs. This includes extending store hours and resupplying stores on a rapid schedule. We encourage you to reach out to your local representatives on this egregious initiative and its potential long-term detrimental impacts to the outdoor sporting goods industry, hunting, shooting sports and Oregonians Second Amendment rights.

Soooo, I'll be prepared to stand in a looooong line if there is anything I need at SW for the next couple of weeks. Nothing like passing a law with no funding, training, or mechanism to enforce it. Merry Christmas to the mom and pop shops that only do gun sales! Sad.

Terrible law and with the governor and AG here in Washington I'm sure we'll be faced with it soon too.
You know it’s coming. Every single blue state in the West will have this before long. It’s a real joy in CA. Our firearm purchase/safety cert is only good for 5 years too. I don’t even understand how it’s legal. Anything hunting or gun related will become more and more restrictive and costly in blue states.

It's not that simple. A few liberal counties on the west side of Oregon decide the vote.

BC is spot on here, I believe it only passed in like 5 of Oregon’s 36 counties but that’s all it takes. And the sheriff of one of the counties it passed in asked voters NOT to endorse as he can’t enforce it with no budget. Current law for background checks etc. in Oregon costs approx $11 mil a year to enforce. Est first year cost of this new proposition is $55.3 million.Like getting a punch to the gut AND a knee to the … never mind 😖

OPB had a little bit of discussion on the rule making process for this. It's anticipated that OSP (who will do the rule making) will issue an exceptions period while they work out out the purchase permit procedure.

I'm hoping it's not as binary a situation as this email is making it sound for firearms purchases while the classes and permits are rolled out.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Leejones
Back