Welfare ranchers kill migratory birds!

Gawd, Ithaca.......Now look at what you.ve done. You've taken a poor childish mind and filled it with all types of rubbish.....Shame, shame, and double-triple shame on your shameless agenda!
tongue.gif

I think I will call the fish and game
tongue.gif

Ithaca has admitted he is a poacher.
5 turkeys with one shot
footinmouth.gif

I better save this to a disk, because I'm sure he will delete this thread Just like every other time he has been caught with his hoof in his muzzle
biggrin.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR> In all the times I've mentioned real basic hunting skills like tracking birds through the air, calling rabbits, getting five turkeys with one shot every time, etc. not one of them has ever dared get into a discussion about it. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>Don't think he ever admitted to doing, just mentioned that he knew how. Sorry to spoil the fun. Also, it could have happened before turkeys were protected or on a farm!
wink.gif

1 pointer, I'm glad to see all that book learnin' is paying off for you! You're right, I haven't shot five turkeys with one shot, but I know how to. The most I ever got with one shot is two, and that was legal.

Mini, I'd be glad to teach you how to track birds through the air, call rabbits, and lots of other things some of these amateurs in SI don't have the slightest idea about.
biggrin.gif
I'll show you how to get five or even ten turkeys with one shot, get geese and bears drunk, catch monster brown trout with twinkies, catch coyotes and fox nobody else can get close to, call in four out of five old smart gobblers and lots of other tricks I learned from the hillbillies I hunted with as a kid.
biggrin.gif
Just gimme a call sometime when you come over to see Moosie.
biggrin.gif

<FONT COLOR="#800080" SIZE="1">[ 07-24-2003 17:29: Message edited by: Ithaca 37 ]</font>

Buzz Boy,

I thought you were the Bison ranching expert? They use differnt fence to contain Bison than cows don't they? I remember a couple of years ago an article with Jack Sr. and some FWP guys talking about problems with Teddies fences and wildlife. When I get time I'll look them up. Would this bother you to know that welfare rancher teddy is harming wildlife, or does he get a free pass from you Buzz Boy?

Paul

Just wanted to make a couple comments. I read this thread two days ago. With my job I deal with ag producers. I asked 10 or better ranchers with a total of 300 to 400 years of experience, how many birds have you found in your water tanks. I heard of several unusual things, but none have ever found a bird of any kind.

And, usually people that brag, really dont' have anything to brag about. If you guys haven't figured out that patients and dedication is the key to success, now you know. There is no "trick" to any of it and anyone who is a real trophy hunter knows. Books, videos or getting info from someone bragging of his knowledge is not the ticket. It's easy as sin if you don't expect a quick fix.

<FONT COLOR="#800080" SIZE="1">[ 07-24-2003 22:50: Message edited by: Troy Jones ]</font>

Troy, In the words of Ali, "It ain't braggin' if you can do it." I doubt if you can and as for trophies or any kinda game; I have plenty and I know all about patience. You think it doesn't take patience to learn how to call rabbits and track birds through the air?
biggrin.gif
Why don't you tell us how to do it?

And people who hunt a lot learn a few tricks that help make them more successful. It's mostly a matter of being observant, putting in lots of time and effort learning how to think like your quarry, doing lots of experimenting and using every source of info you can access. You seem to be telling us that we can't learn anything from books, videos or other people that will help us be more sucessful outdoorsmen. Do you really believe that?
eek.gif
You must not know much about hunting!

<FONT COLOR="#800080" SIZE="1">[ 07-24-2003 23:30: Message edited by: Ithaca 37 ]</font>

Ithaca you old gerbil jammer, you are full of crap. You and Bill Jordan can have yourselves a swell time "hunting" and calling gerbils through the air. What the hell kind of garbage is that? I have a bird here you can track.

Pauly boy,

I can hardly wait for your info...HAHAHAHA

This will be good, and yes I did read the article that Jack Sr. wrote.

While I respect Atchesons accomplishments and what he's done for hunting in MT (opened up State lands, etc.) he must have had too much crown in his coffee the day he wrote that article. I kinda think Ted and Arnaud run a little competition on Jack and Sons and they maybe dont like it.

The fences that hold bison on Teddy's ranch are equivelant to your standard 6 strand barb-wire fence. On a daily basis I saw whitetails go under and over those fences. I also saw moose and elk jump them with ease. Antelope go right under them. Oh, and its plain high-tinsel wire, no barbs. Yes, it is electric fence, but as far as I know, it was never on in the 2.5 years I worked there.

So, I'd guess you've never seen those "high" fences.

Paul, you need to get out of T. Falls and go see some of this stuff for yourself...its alot better than strapping on the velcro pants and showing the world your ass.

<FONT COLOR="#800080" SIZE="1">[ 07-25-2003 07:45: Message edited by: BuzzH ]</font>

Troy, Just like I thought.
biggrin.gif
You don't even know it's possible to track birds through the air, let alone know how to do it!
biggrin.gif
I do it all the time.
biggrin.gif
For all your big talk, you sure don't know much about hunting.
biggrin.gif
If we can work out a little wager on the subject I'll be glad to take your money.
biggrin.gif

<FONT COLOR="#800080" SIZE="1">[ 07-25-2003 09:01: Message edited by: Ithaca 37 ]</font>

Bob,The same kinda guy that'll next insist that foam cushions are installed at the base of every elevated goose,osprey,eagle,hawk etc. nest site. Those babies must be afforded some type of protection if and when they choose to plop outta the nest only to be met face first by asphalt,dirt,gravel or any other hard surface. It's our obligation to insure they have a fighting chance of survival. I'm all for this and I ain't even a biologist.
WD

Bob, The indians called rabbits to get them into bow range (and I don't mean by making a noise like a carrot, for you wise asses out there
biggrin.gif
). I usta do it as a kid when I was rabbit hunting, mostly just for the challenge of it.

As for your other question about why anyone would want to track birds; so they can find them again, naturally. Many times when coveys of chukars, huns or quail take off they get outta sight real fast because of the terrain. Knowing how to track them thru the air helps locate them again and provides more follow up shooting. That's why I do it. I've shown some hunting buddies how to do it, but only a couple stuck with it long enough to get proficient. It's not easy.
wink.gif

See how easy it is for me to tell I'm dealing with a bunch of amatuers here?
biggrin.gif
Troy, mike, whitedeer, Wally and Bullhound all think I'm kidding!
biggrin.gif
I notice none of them are sure enough to take up my offer of a wager, though.
biggrin.gif

Ith,
I frankly don't have time for your competition.........Right now I have to sell a about 400,000' of production my sawmill will make on Monday. And tomorrow I have to go visit my "welfare rancher" friend to check on his habitat projects (60 trees, 6 quail condos, and rice grass, sunflower seedings that I assisted him with. Just to see how they are doing THIS YEAR.
WD

Ithaca, dont want to get in that "wise ass" category but there's nothing magical about on a covey flush of these bobwhite quail of picking you out two or three land marks and estimating glide path after their "flutter stops and their glide starts and youll usually find some birds in that area, BUT these Texas Blue [scaled ] quail in northern Texas are some different, dont matter where they land, in 60 seconds theyre atleast a hundred yards from there. I think theyre crossed with thoroughbred race horses.The rabbit calling might be a hoot, but we've got so many jacks and cottontails here you might get run over. I have called a skunk on three different occasions when bobcat calling. That can get a little exciting.On the turkey shooting, 3 years ago my teenage daughter killed four gobblers all with 8-9" beards with one shot from a 243 all head and kneck shots except one to upper back. A LUCKY "lineup" shot right at 80 yards. . Luckiest thing of all, she still had 4 turkey tags left to tag 'em with!! Bob

<FONT COLOR="#800080" SIZE="1">[ 07-25-2003 15:40: Message edited by: BbarC ]</font>

Wally, I wouldn't consider it a competition. It's more like takin' candy from a baby if I can get a wager goin' here.
biggrin.gif
See, I've done it hundreds of times---probably thousands---and the characters doubting me have never even heard of it being done! How could that be considered a competition?

It's kinda like the topic up in the Big Game forum last winter when they were discussing dressin' out a deer and I mentioned anybody oughta be able to gut, skin and butcher a deer in an hour and Scmalts went berserk! Pretty soon he and a few others were calling me a liar until a couple of the Montana boys said they could do it in an hour, too.
biggrin.gif

I don't see how anyone could consider themselves much of a bird hunter if they don't know how to track birds in the air.
rolleyes.gif
I know it's possible to get birds without that knowledge 'cuz I see lots of guys do it, but they'll never be as effective as guys who are good trackers. I'm sorry to see such basic hunting skills becoming so rare.
frown.gif

Bob, I'm not talking about watching which way birds go and following. I'm talking about stuff like tracking birds you never even saw take off--- maybe just heard them or found some launching sites where they took off a few hours ago.
biggrin.gif

Bob, The hillbillies I learned how to hunt turkeys from used to hollow out a rotten log enough to hold some corn then set up about 25 yards from one end of the log. Once you had about a dozen turkeys pecking at the corn you'd just shoot right down the log with a 12 gauge and get a bunch with one shot. They weren't big on wasting ammunition!
biggrin.gif

<FONT COLOR="#800080" SIZE="1">[ 07-25-2003 15:49: Message edited by: Ithaca 37 ]</font>

That's similar to the deal BJ got into, they were at a deer feeder. Her intent was one head shot, but turned out differently. I whistled and alerted the gobblers and they all stuck their heads up. It was a pretty big bunch. She's a crack shot and has shot a lot of competition, but that deal even amazed her. Bob

Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jordanhronek
Back