Weird Stalks

lpshunter29

So I'm reflecting on the year qnd am very happy with how it went, all 3 of my fall tags filled, all a blast, all with their own story. My big hunt for the year was antelope in NW CO which was a blast and I learned a lot.

What really struck me was all the weird ways you can get close to them. I got within 120 using a flag, 27 by looking at it confused and taking a step or two at a time, then she would do the same, I even had a fawn run up to 10 yards while I was just standing next to my truck. How I ended up killing my buck is just walking straight at it pretending not to notice it. Anchored my CVA on a t-post, and put a 50 right through him.

So, my question. What's the weirdest ways y'all have stalked antelope (or any other animal)? Seems there's plenty of fun ways you could go about it.

Last year I watched a buck antelope walk over a stock pond dam, then I ran over to the dam snuck up to the top. Shot him at about 45 yards. Later that same day I spotted a small herd in some tall sage brush right next to a deep wash. I snuck up the wash to where the herd was, climbed out, and shot a doe off hand at 26 yards. Both with my rifle.

Last edited:
I don't have near the experience as many on here will but I do have one good story. I was walking along a creek bottom that had grass up to my knees and started to remeber that we had seen a rattle snake earlier. I decided maybe this wasn't the place to sit down and eat lunch so I started to get out of there and up into some sage when I noticed a weird stick. The stick turned out to be a 14.5 inch horn bedded down looking away. I instantly dropped down and layed across my pack. I waited for what seemed to be 30 minutes and couldn't get a shot because of a doe bedded next to him. The wind must have changed because they suddenly bolted. I almost gave up but noticed they stopped behind a very small hill and we're trying to see what they smelled. I basically ran hunched over till I couldn't go any more. Quickly stood up and shot him off handed at 111 steps.

The second antelope I ever killed basically stalked us. My FIL and I had made a loop out through a state section we had seen animals on the day before. We were on the way back to the truck and a herd came out of a dip to the east of us. They of course were seen by a couple guys on the road, one of whom started running down the fence line a mile down from us to cut them off. Most of the herd bolted (surprise), but two of them started walking toward us. Since we were standing right at an obvious fence crossing, we just sat down in the wide open on the fence line. Those two antelope walked 3/4 of a mile, turning around periodically to stare at the guy who by now was walking back to his truck. When they stopped to look at him the last time, they were under 100 yds and we shot them both.

First, off gota check the regs before you use a flag...
Out in the open with no cover some times if you walk in twos bent over to make the silhouette of a cow and walk-in step 1/4ing towards them often works.

First, off gota check the regs before you use a flag...
Out in the open with no cover some times if you walk in twos bent over to make the silhouette of a cow and walk-in step 1/4ing towards them often works.
Checked regs and called cpw before using a flag. That's a cool strategy. Not many cows where I was so if I hunched over they'd interpret it as stalking not a cow...orange doesnt help either...

Weird stalks for lopers?

Here's one. Back in the early 80's I would just drive the roads to locate antelope. Once located, a simple knock on the closest ranch door would gain me permission or directions to the landowners residence. I can remember being denied permission only once over a decade of this type of antelope hunting. Yes, the good-old-days!

An hour or so after sunrise found me driving south on Hwy 191 between Harlowton and Big Timber. As I was passing through the big town of Melville, I noticed a very nice buck tending his ladies right across from the Melville Community Center, Post Office and coffee shop. I swung around and pulled into the parking lot to ask if anyone at the CC knew who owned the land that was located kitty corner across the highway. I walked through the door to find six to eight old ranchers drinking coffee and telling tales. Eyeing me up and down, one of the ranchers asked, "you hunting?" Me: Yes. Rancher #2: What are are hunting? Me: antelope. Multiple ranchers: Antelope doesn't open until next month! Me: I'm hunting with a bow. All the ranchers: Chuckles, Giggles and then down right laughing out loud! Rancher #1: How has chasing antelope with a bow and arrow going for you? Me: It's been fun! I am wondering how owns the field across the highway north of Melville road? Rancher #1: That would be me. Me: Would you care if I went after the antelope that are in that field? Rancher #1: How close do you have to get with a bow? Me: 40yds or less. Rancher #1: Knock yourself out but there is no way you're getting that close to those antelope. Me: Thank you sir and I'll give it my best.

I then made several trips back and forth on the highway surveying the possible stalking options. The antelope herd was feeding along the edge of a high grass and cattail swampy area about 250yds off of the highway. They were paying zero attention to my truck, so I decided that I could pull down off of the road and crawl under the fence and into the high grass area. I was met with water once I made it into the cattail section. The further I went, the deeper the water got. The center of this area was actually a open water pond and I was wading armpit deep holding my bow just above the water line and spooking a very loud flock of ducks. I had lost sight of the antelope herd once I entered the tall grass. So being armpit deep in water, I remember thinking that this was a very dumb idea and there is no way in hell this was going to work out well. I continued in the direction that I thought the antelope would be located and made it into the cattails on the other side of the pond. Pushing through the cattails was noisy and I didn't care. I just wanted to get out of the water and onto dry land at that point. I did find a narrow muskrat lane through the tall stuff and could make out the field some 50yds away. As I was pushing down the narrow lane, my right foot got tangled in the cattail roots. I was now only in knee deep water but almost went in face first trying to free my foot from the root tangle that had snared me. Freeing my foot, I look up to see a antelope doe staring at me down the lane in the cattails and tall grass. I froze for what seemed to be an eternity before she wanders off. The mission to exit the swamp was now off and the stalk was now back on! Painfully slow, one little step at a time, found me just 15yds from the edge of the field. I was still in the tall stuff but could see out into the open field fairly well. Then, the herd appeared on my left and moving to the right. They would parade past me at 15-20yds with the buck bringing up the rear. The arrow flew true and the buck ran a semi circle and collapsed 50-60yds out in the field. When I cleared the tall stuff and stepped out into the field, I could here cheering and clapping as the old ranching crew had migrated out into the parking lot and had watched the whole thing play out.

Good times, Good time indeed!

Weird stalks for lopers?

Here's one. Back in the early 80's I would just drive the roads to locate antelope. Once located, a simple knock on the closest ranch door would gain me permission or directions to the landowners residence. I can remember being denied permission only once over a decade of this type of antelope hunting. Yes, the good-old-days!

An hour or so after sunrise found me driving south on Hwy 191 between Harlowton and Big Timber. As I was passing through the big town of Melville, I noticed a very nice buck tending his ladies right across from the Melville Community Center, Post Office and coffee shop. I swung around and pulled into the parking lot to ask if anyone at the CC knew who owned the land that was located kitty corner across the highway. I walked through the door to find six to eight old ranchers drinking coffee and telling tales. Eyeing me up and down, one of the ranchers asked, "you hunting?" Me: Yes. Rancher #2: What are are hunting? Me: antelope. Multiple ranchers: Antelope doesn't open until next month! Me: I'm hunting with a bow. All the ranchers: Chuckles, Giggles and then down right laughing out loud! Rancher #1: How has chasing antelope with a bow and arrow going for you? Me: It's been fun! I am wondering how owns the field across the highway north of Melville road? Rancher #1: That would be me. Me: Would you care if I went after the antelope that are in that field? Rancher #1: How close do you have to get with a bow? Me: 40yds or less. Rancher #1: Knock yourself out but there is no way you're getting that close to those antelope. Me: Thank you sir and I'll give it my best.

I then made several trips back and forth on the highway surveying the possible stalking options. The antelope herd was feeding along the edge of a high grass and cattail swampy area about 250yds off of the highway. They were paying zero attention to my truck, so I decided that I could pull down off of the road and crawl under the fence and into the high grass area. I was met with water once I made it into the cattail section. The further I went, the deeper the water got. The center of this area was actually a open water pond and I was wading armpit deep holding my bow just above the water line and spooking a very loud flock of ducks. I had lost sight of the antelope herd once I entered the tall grass. So being armpit deep in water, I remember thinking that this was a very dumb idea and there is no way in hell this was going to work out well. I continued in the direction that I thought the antelope would be located and made it into the cattails on the other side of the pond. Pushing through the cattails was noisy and I didn't care. I just wanted to get out of the water and onto dry land at that point. I did find a narrow muskrat lane through the tall stuff and could make out the field some 50yds away. As I was pushing down the narrow lane, my right foot got tangled in the cattail roots. I was now only in knee deep water but almost went in face first trying to free my foot from the root tangle that had snared me. Freeing my foot, I look up to see a antelope doe staring at me down the lane in the cattails and tall grass. I froze for what seemed to be an eternity before she wanders off. The mission to exit the swamp was now off and the stalk was now back on! Painfully slow, one little step at a time, found me just 15yds from the edge of the field. I was still in the tall stuff but could see out into the open field fairly well. Then, the herd appeared on my left and moving to the right. They would parade past me at 15-20yds with the buck bringing up the rear. The arrow flew true and the buck ran a semi circle and collapsed 50-60yds out in the field. When I cleared the tall stuff and stepped out into the field, I could here cheering and clapping as the old ranching crew had migrated out into the parking lot and had watched the whole thing play out.

That’s a great story 😁

Weird stalks for lopers?

I can hear it now. No way that idiot is gonna get close enough. I'll be damned he's wading through the pond. Well I'll be damned I think he might have a chance. Hope he doesn't miss.........

I can't un-forget this one. We had just moved into t new 'country' development, just a few homes. It was mixed farm/woodland. Soz, me and my 5yr old son decide to wonder down the way and just look around, nothing really better to do. Dad & son, good enough. It just so happens that Dad had seen a couple of does down at the end of the paved undeveloped property. Also just happens Dad seemed to somehow have a grunt tube in his back pocket.....

Sure enough ass soon as we got to the un-developed area there was a deer standing in the middle of the road.

I take son off the road and into the wooded part of the property and we head down toward the deer( a lesson of hunting, so thinks Dad). A 5 yr old does not understand the concept of stealth, so needless so say, Every branch, twig, root, leaf along our approach got snapped, kicked, or tripped over.

Arrrrgh !

OK, this little lesson is blown to 4ell......

We're maybe 150 yds from where the deer was, so I get us both sat down and backed up against a big Pine. Gave son the grunt tube and whispered to gently puff into it.

BUUURRRP! BLATTTT! (giggling) BLLLAAAAA! BUP, BUP, BUP, followed by a couple I can't quite put into words...(more giggles)

Not 10 seconds later there are 2 does running in on us full speed! They get about 15 yds away and hit the brakes Hard. (caught our scent?) Only trouble is...there are about a dozen more doing 90 mph right behind them !

Same effect. Stopped at the 15 yd line. They're as much confused as me & Mac are absolutely flabbergasted !

AND THEY JUST STAY THERE!!!!!

I have to hand to Mac, he never flinched, never twitched, just sat there...

About 30 seconds went by and the 1st two in just walked off to our right.....the rest followed.

"That was Awesome Dad" !!!!

"Do...Not...Tell...Your Mom ...She'll kill both of us".

(Nov, 1998)

This year in Wyo. My sister in law and I glassed a lone buck feeding in a large yellow grass patch that had a dry creek bed bordering 2 sides. We made our way over to him staying out of sight the whole time, we had planned to crest a hill slowly to relocate the buck. Once we popped up he was nowhere to be found, so we slid down to the creek bed and would periodically pop up to take a look. We finally found him bedded right in the center of the grass out in the open but in 12" dead grass. I had to walk straight towards him totally exposed until I saw a black horn. I snuck back to my sister and we made a plan. She kept going down the creek bed until she and I and the buck were at a 90 degree angle, she then crawled up onto the field he was on and set up. Once she set up I got the Montana decoy out and walked towards the buck until we could see each other. When he finally did see me he stood up and just stared hard at me, which gave my sister a perfect 120 yard broadside shot. It was one of my favorite hunts I have been apart of, to be standing out in the open looking at her and watching the buck and waiting for the shot. From my angle we were all totally exposed, but a little dip here and there and some grass and that buck had no idea we were there.

This year in Wyo. My sister in law and I glassed a lone buck feeding in a large yellow grass patch that had a dry creek bed bordering 2 sides. We made our way over to him staying out of sight the whole time, we had planned to crest a hill slowly to relocate the buck. Once we popped up he was nowhere to be found, so we slid down to the creek bed and would periodically pop up to take a look. We finally found him bedded right in the center of the grass out in the open but in 12" dead grass. I had to walk straight towards him totally exposed until I saw a black horn. I snuck back to my sister and we made a plan. She kept going down the creek bed until she and I and the buck were at a 90 degree angle, she then crawled up onto the field he was on and set up. Once she set up I got the Montana decoy out and walked towards the buck until we could see each other. When he finally did see me he stood up and just stared hard at me, which gave my sister a perfect 120 yard broadside shot. It was one of my favorite hunts I have been apart of, to be standing out in the open looking at her and watching the buck and waiting for the shot. From my angle we were all totally exposed, but a little dip here and there and some grass and that buck had no idea we were there.
Sounds fun. Never done a two person stalk but it sounds plenty fun!

Back in the day I shot my first antelope buck like this;
1. Failed stalk and bump him off the first hill.
2. Walk a mile and miss a shot on the next hill.
3. Walk another mile and kill him on the third hill.
But then I have seen it where they get one good look at you and don't stop running until they cross a couple county lines.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clamwc
Back