Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping System

Weatherby Vanguard

smw110136

I recently won a Weatherby Vanguard 6.5 Creedmoor at our local Ducks Unlimited banquet (just before they all got shut down). It worked out great because I had been considering purchasing a .308 or .270 for lighter big game like antelope and deer. It came with a Leupold VX-Freedom 3-9x40 scope, but I am planning on switching that out for a little higher quality glass. I already traded the scope out to a buddy for a Terry Redlin print that he won at the same banquet.

I was curious if there are any WEATHERBY VANGUARD 6.5 Creedmoor shooters on the forum and what type of FACTORY ammunition you have had the best results with in this specific rifle. Planning to order some ammo soon. I am a modest marksman and don't plan on using the rifle to take shots on game outside of 350 yards.

Any input is appreciated.

1584734860734.png

My son in law gets almost the same accuracy with Hornady 129 SST in his 6.5 CM DPMS as he does with custom loads. Recommend a Leupold VX3i w/ a 40mm eyeball in the variable/reticle of your preference.

That's a good looking rifle.

20200212_184230.jpg

I picked one up on the cheap two years ago in the walley world sale. Just got it completely finished and plan to shoot it this summer to see what it likes. Did a spray can paint job on it that turned out nice. Mine is in 30-06 though. Seems like a nice little gun for $250.

View attachment 131881

I picked one up on the cheap two years ago in the walley world sale. Just got it completely finished and plan to shoot it this summer to see what it likes. Did a spray can paint job on it that turned out nice. Mine is in 30-06 though. Seems like a nice little gun for $250.

What type of rattle can paint did you use? Looks good might have to do that with mine.

I had this same rifle - only for a couple of months - it lost a contest with another rifle but not by much. Out of the box, broken in it really liked the cheap Hornady American Whitetail 129gr SP. It's an interlock BTSP and it's slow IMO for its weight but man it would print on paper. My buddy who purchased it from me loads for it and was able to cut my 1" groups down to about .7 groups running Berger classic hunter 135's

Krylon black lava marbelizing spray and Rust Oleum stone creations canyon moss spray.
I stripped the gun down and taped off everything. Used a light cleaner to get oils off. Then put about 3 coats of the canyon moss on and a light coat of the black marble to your taste. Then I clear coated I think 5 coats and called it a day.
Stole the idea from @VikingsGuy he put a thread up some time ago. Rust oleum makes a few other stone creations that would look great also if your taste are for something different.

I'd think about giving Berger ammo a try. I've had good luck with it in other chambering. It uses Lapua brass, which if you are a bandleader is a good thing. If you are not, also not a bad thing as I bet you could sell it easier than some other brands.

I recently won a Weatherby Vanguard 6.5 Creedmoor at our local Ducks Unlimited banquet (just before they all got shut down). It worked out great because I had been considering purchasing a .308 or .270 for lighter big game like antelope and deer. It came with a Leupold VX-Freedom 3-9x40 scope, but I am planning on switching that out for a little higher quality glass. I already traded the scope out to a buddy for a Terry Redlin print that he won at the same banquet.

I was curious if there are any WEATHERBY VANGUARD 6.5 Creedmoor shooters on the forum and what type of FACTORY ammunition you have had the best results with in this specific rifle. Planning to order some ammo soon. I am a modest marksman and don't plan on using the rifle to take shots on game outside of 350 yards.

Any input is appreciated.

View attachment 131852
I have a Howa 1500 in 6.5, which is the same barrel/action as your Weatherby, and it really likes the heavier stuff like the Hornady 143 ELD-X and the Nosler 140gr rounds. I tried some of the lighter stuff and they shot ok, just not as well as the heavy bullets.

I have a Howa 1500 in 6.5, which is the same barrel/action as your Weatherby, and it really likes the heavier stuff like the Hornady 143 ELD-X and the Nosler 140gr rounds. I tried some of the lighter stuff and they shot ok, just not as well as the heavy bullets.
That's funny, mine was the exact opposite, only liked the 129/135 class...one made on wednesday, the other friday lol. So much can change during a production run though, tooling wear, reamer degradation etc. I hope others chime in so we can see what weight/bearing surface length/ogive type these like on average and not just this current info out of such a small sample.

I have a Howa 1500 6.5 C as well but a heavy barrel. It shoots ELDX
extremely well but I started having a hard time finding it local plus it’s pricy for range fun so picked up a box of American Whitetail for pigs and deer, as it’s $10 less a box. I’d say it went from easily under MOA with ELDX to MOA ish with AW and it showed impressive results on the one deer I shot with it last fall.

I've got a series 1 and 2 both .308. Hornady seems best in both. However Winchester 168gr HPBT match load Target is right there with Hornady in the series 2 gun.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Leejones
Back