Weather gone nuts Global warming?

D4570

may-in-mt-w.jpg

May-in-mt.jpg

This is the second day of a supposed week-long storm.
We did need moisture but I think most were thinking of the type that flows and runs off not the kind that piles up on my driveway...
This is why we don't set out plants till June first!
It is 25* right now and projected to get all the way to 33*
I hope it gets better quickly before the 7th, things to do that don't require mud.

I live in southern CO and the weather here has always been cyclical. In the 90's 30+ inches of snow in April and May was regular. Now we still get most of our snow in those two months but nothing like we used to. The last time I saw 30" of snow was in 2019 and that was a welcomed surprise.
Last year was a cold dry spring. Not much snow or rain to speak of at all. We got are last "spring" freeze July 1st. Much like you we don't put plants out till after June 1st and even then we have to cover the garden several times in June to keep it from freezing. With that being said I've seen it snow every month of the year where I live. During the summer months it never accumulates much, but snow is snow.
Global warming or not, weather will always be cyclical in nature, and there are a great many things that effect the weather patterns. Everything from the building of a dam and irrigation to Forest fires and man made pollution.

Back when I was a kid...
We walked to school in 4 feet of snow in July...
No all kidding around, ack the dinosaurs about climate change.
A while ago we had -19* on June 19th.
We have had the boat on the water on Newyears day too.
Nowhere is it written I gotta like it!

may-in-mt-w.jpg

May-in-mt.jpg

We did need moisture but I think most were thinking of the type that flows and runs off not the kind that piles up on my driveway...
I hope it gets better quickly before the 7th, things to do that don't require mud.
I recognize the first picture but not the second one. I'm just about 45 airmiles NW of there. We had 3 inches of very wet snow and it's mostly all gone now.

Just think of the water table that needs that snow.
Otherwise you'll be complaining of a draught.

Man caused global warming is unproven, and likely not occurring.

Weather isn’t climate.

The climate changes on its own. Look at all the aquatic fossils on the tops of mountains, and reptile(dinosaur) fossils is places that are too cold etc. Is it global warming, or global “back to normal”ing? We’ve been far warmer, and we’ve been far cooler, and man never had anything to with it.

Glad you got some moisture! That keeps thing alive.

Last edited:
The climate has warmed substantially in interior Alaska.
Based on a 100-year record of measured temperature at Fairbanks, the length of days above freezing has doubled.
Based on tree-ring and isotope analysis, the recent summers have been the warmest in 200 years.
Summer sea ice extent is the lowest on record, causing a shift in marine ecosystems
Many of the alpine glaciers have retreated substantially
In interior Alaska wildfire extent and severity has increased substantially

This is both good and bad.
With a decline in sea ice, open water can store heat and we have much warmer falls,
leading to an extended waterfowl season before the marshes freeze up.
In the 1990s our duck hunting ended with marsh freeze-up then end of September, now we hunt well into late October.
1992 was the worst with single digit temperatures and a snow storm the second week of September.
That winter we had snow on the ground from Sept 13 to mid-May and a total of 146 inches of snow.

With the increase in wildfires, habitat for sharptail grouse and moose has improved,
but lichen habitat has declined for winter caribou range.
With warmer falls, moose calling has not been as good as the 1990s (mosquitoes make hear difficult)
and harvesting moose can be problematic with >500 pounds of moose meat to cool down at camp.

Still a subarctic climate though...35F last night, so had to move our tomatoes back inside for the night.
High of 70F later this week...

I'm not sure of the year but a few years ago we Had snow out the wazzo.
Started 3 weeks before the general big game season and did not stop till June first.
A friend of ours has a small cattle/ wheat/hay, ranch and that year He HAD to feed his cattle 7 months straight. This year he had snow early and was afraid it would repeat but it stopped and cleared off and did not snow till just last month...
Many of the winter wheat farms were afraid the wheat would not freeze off in time to make good wheat stands this spring, but it looks like it did.

I don’t know about global warming but I do know the weather is nuts.

I have pretty much been intermittently stuck in Lake Charles, LA since early September due to 2 hurricanes, an ice storm, and now flooding. All in the same town.

Someone told me yesterday there is a tropical system in the gulf. WTH?

may-in-mt-w.jpg

May-in-mt.jpg

I got hit by a Cat 5, Cat 3, ice storm, and now major flooding in one year. South Louisiana weather has been crazy

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
believeinyourself
Back