Yeti GOBOX Collection

Weapon for mnt lion hunt?

Yesterday I was in a gun shop in Charlotte, N.C. they had 3 of these old Ruger 44 carbines. Basically a 10/22 in .44 mag and I couldn’t help but think if I ever went on a hound hunt for lions or bears where the shot would be close that it would be a nice gun for that job. View attachment 159312
perfect tool, open sights or red dot set at 50 yards, light enough to move quickly when following dogs.

Many many years ago my grandfather told me the best cartridge for Mt Lion was the 22RF. He said to heart shoot it in the tree and it will not be knocked out of the tree but rather die there and fall out dead. Use a bigger cartridge and wound the lion and you could have a wounded lion in a scrap with your dog's! I've never hunted Mt Lion but if I did and used hounds I suspect I would choose my 22 Mag with 40gr solid bullet's. If I were out calling I'd probably take a 243 for a bit long shot if need be. I believe an 87gr bullet from one of my 243's would knock the stuffing out of a Mt Lion.
My great grandpa was a professional trapper and used a 30 cal Carbine to kill mountain lions for the same reason. Would kill them quickly without knocking them out of the tree into his dogs.

Yesterday I was in a gun shop in Charlotte, N.C. they had 3 of these old Ruger 44 carbines. Basically a 10/22 in .44 mag and I couldn’t help but think if I ever went on a hound hunt for lions or bears where the shot would be close that it would be a nice gun for that job. View attachment 159312
If I was you and had some extra cash, I would highly recommend picking one of those up. They are getting very rare and people who have them generally love them. I know a few guys who use them for whitetails and they say these Deerfield Carbines are the greatest thing ever.

I’d bring a bow. Perfect situation for archery equipment, animal sitting still in a tree at close range.

If I was you and had some extra cash, I would highly recommend picking one of those up. They are getting very rare and people who have them generally love them. I know a few guys who use them for whitetails and they say these Deerfield Carbines are the greatest thing ever.
I’m definitely thinking about it. I’ve only heard good about them.

What weapon would you recommend for a mnt lion hunt with hounds? I'm planning on going in a few years and am curious to hear what others use?

30-30 lever
.357 revolver
50 cal muzzleloader
compound
recurve
I bow hunt so it is any easy choice for me. That's what I am taking this winter. My is taking a 44mag carbine. I think they both will work fine...

I haven’t been lion hunting but a few years ago a guy brought in a huge lion to the shop. It weighed a touch over 200lbs on a certified postal scale and it had 8 .357 bullets in it. I’d recommend a lever action. When the day comes for me to go I’ll be bringing my lever action 45-70

Like others have posted, a mtn lion is a perfect archery target...close shot, animal not moving, but could have a problem with branches in the way.

I have heard that lions are not that hard to kill. I have only killed one mtn lion and I took my Ruger SBH .44 mag and a Win Model 94 in .30-30.

We were hunting in western Colorado and my lion had treed in a pinyon pine tree. It took us a while to get where the dogs had treed him, and a couple of the dogs had climbed up the tree and were very close to the cat.

Although I am very confident with my .44, my guide was afraid the dogs were getting too close to the cat and he asked me to use my rifle. One shot with a 150 grain Sierra jacketed flat point bullet in the front of the lion's chest, and he was dead when he hit the ground.

My great grandpa was a professional trapper and used a 30 cal Carbine to kill mountain lions for the same reason. Would kill them quickly without knocking them out of the tree into his dogs.
My grand dad might have tried that but, he died in 1969 at 89 yrs. In his lifetime the 30 carbine never got out of the service.

My grand dad might have tried that but, he died in 1969 at 89 yrs. In his lifetime the 30 carbine never got out of the service.
My Great Grandpa was using it in the 60's and 70's. They were available for purchase through the CMP not long after WW2. His son, my Grandpa had no use for it, after using it briefly during WW2

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clamwc
Back