Weapon for mnt lion hunt?

wisconsinteacher

What weapon would you recommend for a mnt lion hunt with hounds? I'm planning on going in a few years and am curious to hear what others use?

30-30 lever
.357 revolver
50 cal muzzleloader
compound
recurve

I'm interested in a lion hunt as well in the future, I will likely do with a 30-30 lever or something similar.

I don't shoot handguns well, would like a follow up shot if necessary, and don't really see the point of shooting a cat in a tree with a bow. The interesting part of bow hunting to me is the stalk, there is no stalk in lion hunting so seems like you are just adding extra risk to the dogs and those around you in order to say you got it with a bow.

Just about anything will suffice as over hounds you will be shooting it treed. I recommend a repeater in case your shot knocks it wounded to the ground into a pack of hounds and chews up a dog before you can reload and help sort things out.

I'm interested in a lion hunt as well in the future, I will likely do with a 30-30 lever or something similar.

I don't shoot handguns well, would like a follow up shot if necessary, and don't really see the point of shooting a cat in a tree with a bow. The interesting part of bow hunting to me is the stalk, there is no stalk in lion hunting so seems like you are just adding extra risk to the dogs and those around you in order to say you got it with a bow.
I have never understood shooting a cat out of a tree with a bow either.

30-30 or likely my .44mag .... used it on a hound bear hunt years ago and having the kind of mobility that offered while on a race was amazing!

Reactions: Guy
Use the 30-30 rifle. Many of the cats I have treed were too high and obscured by brush for a bow shot, and not all cats can be jumped out of the tree for a rerun to another tree.

Most do not shoot handguns enough to be reliably effective. The kill power is there, but most guys don't practice enough.

The thing to remember is that anything but a kill shot puts the houndsman's dogs at risk or injury or death following up a wounded cat. A broadhead sticking out of a cat is more dangerous than the cat itself. Those dogs, besides being the houndsman's buddies, are worth several thousand dollars a piece as finished lion dogs

I am not a guide, but have helped many friends get cats. I tell them high powered rifles only, and that comes from not-so-good experiences. I would echo the sentiment of previous posters: it is sitting in a tree so getting with a bow means nothing. The hunt is the chase. The shot is anticlimax.

A 30-30 is perfect. Slow bullet but plenty accurate. Hunting behind hounds is awesome and lions are amazing creatures. You will have a fun hunt.

They all work. I packed a crossbow through snowy trees for several days and that sucked! Agree that the chase is where it is at. I ended up killin with handgun since just wasn't an ethical bow shot. Think more about packability and being in shape for the chase. While handgun worked, I have also seen some chip shot ones get "western" really quick. Agree with above, a short 30-30 that you can strap in your pack be best.

It’s always a smart decision to tie up the hounds well away from the tree before the cat is shot. Usually prefer the uphill side about 30’. Never has shot a lion but a 30-30 with open sights would be perfect for packing through the mountains to a far off tree location. Good luck on your hunt.

I've killed both with my bow but I always wanted to get a lever action 30-30 or a rossi ranch hand. My buddy who has the dogs is going to use a traditional spear at some point he says but I haven't seen it happen yet........

Outfitter we went with was a family run operation with over 3 decades of experience recommended a .223 they said they had to many bad experiences with bigger calibers Blowing them outta the tree and then dealing with a pissed off lion on the ground tearing up dogs. There thought was accurate shot with small caliber and lion doesn’t know what happens and just dies up In the tree. That’s exactly how it played out with my buddies 170lb Tom and he was shooting my tikka t3 223

I've killed my share over hounds, as well as been on a couple more including my daughters last year. (See my thread in this sub forum from last year).

My 5 have died to a 30-30. My daughter last year killed hers with a 300 Blackout AR pistol. I have had to put a finishing shot into a lion at point blank range with a 357.

They all work.

From a safety standpoint, no arrows around my dogs. When the bullet is done, its done. If you have a catch on the ground, the last thing I want is a broadhead lying on the ground or sticking out of a lion to do more damage.

Also, a rifle is easier to aim than a handgun.

As was stated above, the kill is anticlimactic.

Bring the dirty 30.

I would use the 30-30. If I was well practiced with a handgun the .357 would be an option but I’m not.

Many many years ago my grandfather told me the best cartridge for Mt Lion was the 22RF. He said to heart shoot it in the tree and it will not be knocked out of the tree but rather die there and fall out dead. Use a bigger cartridge and wound the lion and you could have a wounded lion in a scrap with your dog's! I've never hunted Mt Lion but if I did and used hounds I suspect I would choose my 22 Mag with 40gr solid bullet's. If I were out calling I'd probably take a 243 for a bit long shot if need be. I believe an 87gr bullet from one of my 243's would knock the stuffing out of a Mt Lion.

GOHUNT Insider

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Infraredice
Back