Save $100 on the Leupold VX-3HD

We will take your truck.

oleefish2

I have always had a durable truck, good tires and it rigged for going were I needed to go. Over the years I find it funny how some fellows have spent Thousands of dollars on making their truck pretty and very well rigged but they said lets take yours. Comments like yours is already scratched, dinged, dirty and/or older come to mind. I do not mind because I would rather drive than ride on most days and very few do not offer to chip in for gas. One person had one of the coolest paint jobs of elk and mountains on the bed of his truck, a 6 inch lift, 35 inch tires and all the running gear and motor custom built. When we pulled into camp his truck never left camp till he headed home and he never put an animal in the bed. He was a very hard worker at home and in camp so a blessing.

My wife and I passed a Willy's on a rocky road years ago in her beat up Accord. Used to have an old Volvo that I drove more places than I probably should have. These days my beat up Sequoia seems overkill most of the time. The only vehicle I really used close to its potential was my '70 Scout but I was much younger then and drove up stuff that I'd rather walk these days! I figure that when the factory started making trucks that you can't put chains on the front tires is when truck stopped being trucks.

We have a person in our office that's all about having a giant 3500 diesel long bed, mega cab. Every few years he upgrades to a new one. He lives on a postage lot in suburbia. Has zero outdoor hobbies. None of his trucks have ever hauled anymore than a couch and have never seen gravel. Then makes fun of me, because my tundra, has a couple more dents, dings, and scratches every month. He keeps telling me how I'm pissing my money away by abusing my truck....

Shortly after buying a new F150 we took it on a coues deer hunt in AZ. The dirt road got narrower and narrower until it eventually became a trail. We plowed through mesquite branches and my wife was cringing and scolding me as the thorns were scratching my new truck. I simply said " It's a truck". We also use her Honda CRV if I don't anticipate any need for 4x4.

plate blacked.jpg

The best hunting vehicle I ever had was a 2000 Jeep Cherokee sport. With the back seat folded down I could sleep in the back and the 4.0 engine is damned near bullet proof. I took that thing into some god awful hell holes and I never got stuck. The gas mileage was decent enough for it to have gone cross country quite a few times with my Great Dane.

Every few months I think about replacing my 03 Tundra - then I look at the price of even moderately used ones and cringe.

Then I get a wild hair and go test drive one. Then I look at the shiny paint and supple leather seats and bed that is free of dents and hair and feathers and unidentifiable stains, and calculate how many minutes it will take me to rough it up. Then I go spray off the old girl and smile.

I did finally upgrade the factory stereo so that I could charge my phone and listen to it at the same time. Wish I'd have spent that 500 bucks a long time ago.

In 2010, I took my two month old 2011 D-Max to Wyoming, drove the whole way cause that's what I like to do, but didn't have to pay for any fuel at least. When I got back home it had stripes all the way down both sides of it. Wasn't real happy about it, but we were able to get most of them out with light sanding, buffing and clear coat or some variation of that. Still driving it today, will turn 325,000 on the way home this evening.

@glass eye is that a ve 24?
No, it's a Himalayan 47. I bought it after my lab tore a path inside the wall of my Oval Intention that I had been using for 25 years and would probably still be using it if she hadn't ripped it up. She got scared during a tremendous lightning storm in AZ and wanted inside. I bought that Oval Intention in 1976 when I was 13 with my first paycheck ever from a summer job.Oval Intention 4 peaks 001.jpg

I had a 1977 Volkswagen rabbit diesel sedan that I took elk, antelope and deer hunting. I put 2 young mule deer bucks in the back, with me, momma and the 2 girls. The bad thing was the ticks that came off them in transport home. I did not try to hall elk but at 40+ miles per gal it got me to were I could walk in and when I killed one I would go back and get the jeep.

I had a 1977 Volkswagen rabbit diesel sedan that I took elk, antelope and deer hunting. I put 2 young mule deer bucks in the back, with me, momma and the 2 girls. The bad thing was the ticks that came off them in transport home. I did not try to hall elk but at 40+ miles per gal it got me to were I could walk in and when I killed one I would go back and get the jeep.

I've gotten out a couple of deer/pronghorn out whole... all of my elk have come out of the field boned out. The rear suspension is maxed with a bull in the trunk.

The best hunting vehicle I ever had was a 2000 Jeep Cherokee sport. With the back seat folded down I could sleep in the back and the 4.0 engine is damned near bullet proof. I took that thing into some god awful hell holes and I never got stuck. The gas mileage was decent enough for it to have gone cross country quite a few times with my Great Dane.
My go everywhere together hunting partner has a 1996 Cherokee sport. Thing is like a Sherman tank. Just can't kill it and boy we have tried. Plus they are just small enough to take about anywhere. Love that thing!

I bought my Platinum F150 years back and I still remember the sales reps face when he heard I was going to take it hunting. He literally said "you're going to take this truck hunting?" to which I responded why else would I want the off road package? Kind of like the OP said most people he sells to have no intention of taking the trucks off road. I got the platinum package just for all the comforts for my family but it is every bit a hunting truck. Two days after I bought it I was headed on a bear hunt and took it through some of the worst roads Ive personally ever been on and it performed great although it does have some small scratches to show for all the fun.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jack the bear
Back