We got Deer tags for Montana...

Debbie Cadene

G'morning to ya's.

Apparently I missed out on some good bantering with my first post, here on this forum, which left a few guys thinking that the welcoming crew was slipping a little. I can't be responsible for that, so its possible I may have an opportunity here for you's to redeem yourself once again...:D

We got a couple of deer tags for Montana this season, and are really looking forward to making this trip. We've never been there, so in more ways then one, its gonna be an exciting adventure for sure. I'm hoping to gather as much info as I can before I go and couldn't think of a better place to start then right here with you guys. Its obvious this forum has some well seasoned and talented hunters here and you've taken down some great animals during your hunts.

Our hunt is from about the 20th of November to the 25th. I think we are looking into area 442 or the Missouri Briggs area. I'd sure like any thoughts or opinions on these choices and welcome any other area's as well. As I said....first time and sure would love to have some success. I've hunted Mule deer a few times, but so far I've not harvested an animal and haven't even seen one on my side of the fence either. We are looking for animals that would possibly score in the 165 - 175 ish or better range and for White tails, would be looking for 150 plus. Probably a tall order and mabey not possible at the end of the season, but gotta try right??? I do realize I might be looking for more then I should be, but I really don't want to settle, so have no issues with eating my tag.......but it does get rather boring after a while and boy oh boy would it be sweet to haul a Montana buck home with me!!

Along with a great place to hunt, I guess we will also be looking at nearby motels, grocery, and gas stations. With the time of year, I am not sure what the weather holds for us, but in your experience, what are some of the things you have with you at all times when you hunt the colder season....

I have tons of questions....but don't think I should turn it into a book just yet..

I certainly appreciate all and any imput you wish to share for a successful and safe hunt.

You all have a great day!!

Debbie.

I can't resist...never heard of the Missouri Briggs :D Just having a bit of fun. On the Southside of the Missouri Breaks deer numbers are as low as they have been in years. I wouldn't bank on finding a deer in a 165-175"...not saying they aren't around but I wouldn't expect to find one. I'd expect the Northside of the Breaks to be similar with low deer populations and high hunter numbers.

Can't give any tips on where exactly to hunt...but a tip is there is a lot public land and some decent block management (BMA). I'd start looking at the BLM and FWP BMA maps. If you want to hunt the Refuge you'll want to check out their rules because their season closes early.

I would also bank on a potential for some pretty crappy weather that would FUBAR a hunt in the either of those areas pretty quickly.

Also alot of the north side closes to hunting mule deer.

MULE DEER:
The Refuge has more restrictive mule deer seasons in some hunting districts. All mule deer seasons start on the dateof the state seasons, but may end sooner.

HD 410, 417, Antlered bucks only with General Deer License. B Licenses not valid on CMR.
Archery Only – Season dates same as state season.
Rifle - Three week season on refuge. October 20 - November 11, 2012.

HD 621, 622, 631, 632, Either-sex with General Deer License. B Licenses not valid on CMR.
Archery Only – Season dates same as state season.
Rifle - Three week season on refuge. October 20 - November 11, 2012.

442...where to start. First, you have Augusta to the SE and Choteau to the NE. Both have motels, gas stations, restaurants, and bars. Both are small town MT and great little places with great people. That time of year, there may be issues with getting a room in Augusta because of all the hunters as it is the closest town to the front, Choteau should be a little easier as it is a little bigger town. There is some good mule deer and whitetail hunting on the front, and if there is snow, the animals WILL be moving to lower elevations...to include the elk. It is black bear and griz country and the entire area has lots of both, which may or may not be an issue depending on the weather. The plains are mostly private with a little public while the front is mainly public but with BIG mountains.

Your expectations are pretty high for any area in MT. Granted, there are animals like that around, but just not around every corner.

If you have any specific questions, feel free to PM me.

Good luck and have a great hunt.

"Briggs" is "breaks" pronounced in a Locust Valley Lockjaw Accent!

My uncle killed a buck way back in the Bob Marshall Wilderness in 2000 out of Choteau that was 27 inches wide but might be just shy of 160" It was remarked as "a damn fine deer for the area".

Country like what is in the picture attached. Could be tough to get around that late....

Best of luck..

Attachments

• jcm 004.jpg
    jcm 004.jpg
    80.4 KB · Views: 957
  • jcm 005.jpg
    jcm 005.jpg
    66.8 KB · Views: 917
I agree with the post above seems a very tall order on the size. Not that they are not around but honestly a 150" mule deer can be tough to find in lots of areas now a days out there. I have hunted the breaks quite a bit and have only seen one buck that would fill your order in 7 trips and I hunt very hard and try to take the best deer I can with a 1 to 2 week time frame when I go.
Also going that late expect tough conditions to hunt in if the breaks get any type of wet weather you will do as good to sit in the motel or you could be looking at real trouble in the gumbo mud. Can't hardly drive a bulldozer in it and that's no joke! And as said before the season will be closed on the refuge by your dates posted and that will greatly limit your hunt area also.

Good luck and post a story when done for winter reading around here!

I would lower your expectations at bit and then proceed to either area you mentioned.

The Breaks will be a fun hunt and you'll see tons of critters. There are also some very good whitetails in the bottoms of the Breaks.

442 will be a more difficult hunt in terms of land access and fewer game animals. That said, it is a beautiful unit, much more scenic than the Breaks.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CrownDitch
Back