We ate the wolf......Yummmm!

Big Fin

Administrator
Staff member
Well, we finally got clearance as to how to cook the wolf and mitigate the disease risk. We did that recently. I ruined the texture by overcooking, a result of being too concerned about disease risks. Next time I will find a way to accomplish the disease objective and not ruin the texture of the meat.

Summary, the crew voted 9-0 that they would eat it again. I was very surprised by the mild flavor. I will be keeping and eating any wolves we take in the future.

I used my sous vide on a prized whitetail backstrap last summer, completely turned it into a "mush" consistancy (lower temp though). I would guess that a pressure cooker would help out, but have no idea what amount of time would be required to pasteurize

I used my sous vide on a prized whitetail backstrap last summer, completely turned it into a "mush" consistancy (lower temp though). I would guess that a pressure cooker would help out, but have no idea what amount of time would be required to pasteurize
I find the double sear helps; sear >Sous vide> sear> serve.

I go super hot cast iron with avocado oil, since it has a super high smoke point.

Let me rethink...nope still a hard umh uh...
I agree wth this guy in comments, that even with seasoning the taste goes downhill

"You can put enough seasoning and pucky on a pile of Wolf scat and make it taste descent."

Last edited:
I was wondering when you would get to this! Very nice. I would try it, but don't see any future wolf meat headed my direction. I'll wait for the coyote results, though I may have to cook it outside when the wife finds out what I have! ;)

WTH is pucky????
I was wondering when you would get to this! Very nice. I would try it, but don't see any future wolf meat headed my direction. I'll wait for the coyote results, though I may have to cook it outside when the wife finds out what I have! ;)
Yeah I'd like to hear how that works out for you! The wife thing not the eating coyote part. I imagine the wife equation will be even more interesting than the coyote cooking and eating part. I urge caution.........................That might be the last time your lips touch hers!

David

Last edited:
WTF his pucky????

Yeah I'd like to hear how that works out for you! The wife thing not the eating coyote part. I imagine the wife equation will be even more interesting than the coyote cooking and eating part. I urge caution.........................That might be the last time your lips touch hers!

David
Yeah, she's a dog lover so it may be a no-go from the start. She's fine with me killing them during deer season, but I've never brought one home. Maybe if Randy gets good results I can show her and give it a try. I'm thinking low and slow in the smoker breaking it down like brisket with a good rub and wrapped with a little apple juice for the finishing cook time once it's smoked for a few hours.

WTH is pucky????

Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clamwc
Back