Hunt Talk Radio - Look for it on your favorite Podcast platform

Way better than deer hunting

Irrelevant

Let me tell you boys about a little past-time I've been refining over the years. It's way better than anything you've ever tried I can assure you. It's called solohikingwithagun.

First you go spend a thousand $ on lightweight backpacking tents/tarps/sleeping bags/pads/backpacks/stoves/water filters/rain gear/puffy coats/puffy pants/merino undies/and a pillow (can't forget the pillow). You get some freeze dried food, drive to a trailhead already overflowing with subaru's and prius's (prii?), don't forget to play 80's music the entire way, you're going to need those catchy can't stop thinking about it chorus lines shortly, then start hiking. Hike all day. Then leave the trail and hike some more. Pitch you tent on the flattest slope you can find.
20200915_174032.jpg
Then get up in the dark, hike to the top of the nearest a mountain in the distance and spend all day behind a spotting scope looking for deer. Bring Starbuck vias and lots of gorp. Eat enough bog berries to get slightly sick to your stomach.
20200918_182816.jpg
Take a nap. Hike back to the tent in the dark.
20200916_102143.jpg

Do that for 5 days. You should be singing a Phil Collins song for at least 3 of your waking hours per day in your head. By day five you might be whispering them to yourself.

The key to this crazy fun activity is to bring a gun, a tag, and an orange vest then hike WAY above and beyond any living deer. That way you don't actually have to worry about seeing any, planning any stalks, or heaven forbid actually packing any meat.
20200917_181745.jpg
Other perks include seeing tons of bears and mountain goats.
1601568669873.png
1601568690123.png
1601568708357.png
1601568761573.png
And while other deer hunters might have actually found deer and might^2 have actually found a buck, I dare someone else to say they found a one-horned GPS collar Mt Goat.
1601568797486.png

Last edited:
Next year you should get a bear tag also to ensure you don’t have to see any of those either.
I had one, but we see so many bears in WA that I just can't think of them as something worthy of spending three days packing out.

In fact, last year was very similar in terms of bears, only I think I saw a B&C the first day. So this last winter after stewing on it a few months I swore if I saw another one that big I'd shoot it. Well Day 3 this year I did, it was evening and quite a ways from my glassing spot. But in the moment I 100% backed out of my commitment and didn't even think about a stalk. I just can't get excited about bears. They're literally like cattle in a hay field up there.

I double-dog dare you to do the same thing without a gun and then post pictures of how many deer you see. :p
Haha! Perfect!

@neffa3 awesome photos! Thanks for sharing. Pretty cool adventure regardless the lack of harvest. I say this for my own sake more-so than yours. Makes me feel better dragging my arse around the mountains. :)

Very cool. Amazing as it seems I would see 100x's deer before seeing bears and goats.

You have your routine dialed--impressive. But damn those are some pretty vistas. Thanks for the pictures and humor. Really no deer spotted the whole time? Looks like such promising country. Oregon's version of that hunt really intrigues me.

I have done my share of solohikingwithagun and also a lot of birdwatchingwithagun.

You have your routine dialed--impressive. But damn those are some pretty vistas. Thanks for the pictures and humor. Really no deer spotted the whole time? Looks like such promising country. Oregon's version of that hunt really intrigues me.
zero, goose egg, nada, zilch, nothing, nil, naught, zip, diddly-squat, none

After the last couple hunting seasons I have thought that most of my hunts would have been more fun as hikes/camping trips with no gun/bow. Carrying that bow or gun around the mountains is a pain.

Sweet pics! I'd say your money was well invested.
If it's any consolation I just spent 4 days hunting elk in the mountains of WY and saw exactly zero deer, despite some intensive glassing in good buck habitat. And no bog berries.

So...Was your wife ok with you spending $1k on gear and what did she say when she saw the cc bill with the other $2k In gear purchases?
It's been cumulative over a couple decades. I'm still rockin' a down bag from high school. She actually bought that tent this year for a Mother/daughter backpacking trip in the Olympics. But she's given plenty of stern looks over the CC bill from time to time.

PEAX Trekking Poles

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Leejones
Back