Wax Paper Meat Wrap

D
I get the logic here but are there population scale makers of actual toxicity? It's one thing to say something is toxic based on lab data on an individual or finer scale, but surely we have been using plastic wrap for a generation, I have yet to see where hunters are at a higher risk due to those endocrine disrupters.

I definitely wouldn't say it's hunters specifically, just a societal problem at large I try to keep as much space from when possible. The whole "20 year olds with lower test levels than 50 year olds two generations ago" pretty sketch IMO

I did use paper years ago but I went to plastic meat sleeves for grind and bulk sausage and I vacpak steaks , roasts and stuffed sausages. I find what I do now works best for me.

I used wax paper to separate patties for some breakfast sausage I made this year. Then double wrapped the meat log in plastic wrap, then butcher paper.

The wax paper got saturated with moisture and I now have to peel it off of the patties in pieces.

I’d avoid the stuff.

Commenting to stay on this thread. I will be curious the results after 6 months. When we wrap meat for people i bought these big rolls of plastic from a butcher shop that closed down. They would wrap the meat in the plastic then in freezer paper. For personal long term storage i use the vac sealer. I just did a quick 10 second search on amazon for the price difference. Compared reynolds wrap wax and reynolds wrap freezer paper. Wax paper was $10 for 150 SQ Ft freezer was $20 for 150 SQ FT. Price is double for the freezer paper but if double wrapping the wax its the same.

Can't wait to see the long term update!

Well my buddy gave me a food bagger sealer this year & lots of bags. Time to try it out next week cutting up pork belly into parts. Going to try it on some elk sausage too. Bacon later.
The fish & veggies that he gives me is like ,fresh.

I would use store plastic food bags wrapped tight before I used wax paper.Just saying.

I've used plastic wrap covered with a tight layer of aluminum foil for years. Works great.

I have pretty much given up on paper wrapping. I am not consistently drawing tags and getting animals year to year, so the "suck and seal" works best for us to prevent damage or drying in the freezer.

Reading a bit and it sounds like it works fine. I use it for painting parts as a a clean non stick base and you are right it's not expensive if you buy the huge rolls.

As far as wax toxicity it sounds like matters if it's parafin, soybean, or beeswax.

I use plastic deli sheets to wrap meat as first layer then wrap in freezer paper if not vac. sealing.
I bought a box of 1000 10 3/4 x 15 inch sheets. They will last a long time and work really well.

I use plastic deli sheets to wrap meat as first layer then wrap in freezer paper if not vac. sealing.

Bumping this with some semi longer term results- I did this same thing, but using wax paper instead of plastic as the inner layer, and it turned out great. Honestly, I've done 8 or 10 packs of meat I processed like this and they're better than the vacuum sealing setup I used to use as about a third of those would lose their seal within for our five months. Think I'm going to this method for the forseeable future.

I've opened burger wrapped with the deli sheets and freezer paper 2 years old and it looked like it was just wrapped.
I think the double layer of whatever is best. Just get the 1st layer on the meat without an air gap between and it will keep nicely for 2-3 years.

Back