Caribou Gear

plastic game meat bags versus freezer paper

MThuntr

Anyone compared those 1 or 2 lb plastic game meat bags versus wrapping meat in plastic wrap then freezer paper? Cost per package is relatively low...butcher packer has them for 6 cents each but I don't want to end up with a pile of freezer burnt meat after a few weeks.

I still do the old school plastic wrap and then freezer paper. Out of curiosity, what would be the advantage?

I have used them for a few years. I have 2 year old elk burger with no freezer burn.

What I like about the bags is it save wrapping time. When I grind the second time I put one of the tubes on the grinder I cut down (so the grinder doesn't have to push the burger as far) and shoot right into the bag. I load all the bags then run them through the sealer, tape thingy when I am done.

I still do the old school plastic wrap and then freezer paper. Out of curiosity, what would be the advantage?
As Tony mentioned it will save time wrapping burger and sausage but I was thinking about using some for smaller steaks and stew meat which should help save some time. Just wasn't sure if they last and keep things as well as freezer paper.

I'm a huge fan of plastic wrap then freezer paper...have taken meat out of the freezer that was in much longer than I had planned and it was as good as the new stuff.

I'm a huge fan of plastic wrap then freezer paper...have taken meat out of the freezer that was in much longer than I had planned and it was as good as the new stuff.

I found a few packs of elk from 2016 that are still fresh as can be.

I found a few packs of elk from 2016 that are still fresh as can be.
Just had a backstrap chunk from '16 I found in my freezer.Was just fine. Have another bigger one I am making corned elk with. No burn on either. Plastic wrap & freezer paper.

Last week I took some meat out of the bottom of the freezer that was from 2015. Good as any. Looks like I'll stick with the gold standard and ignore the freezer bag things.

I presume you are talking about the tubes? For me its about 2 times faster to just grind it and wrap it vs suffering a second grind and stuffing. Burger doesnt last long at my house though, but with just paper it's fine for at least a year and I've eaten many after a couple years with a little freezer burn trimmed. My grinder doesnt do too well on the stuffing with the small die plate unless the meat is in perfect condition and very cold.

The past few years I've been vacuuming the burger and flattening the bags. They thaw out super fast and stack well in the freezer. Grind into a big tub, smash flat, flip it onthe tabble cut into chunks and wrap or vacuume.

Assuming you mean vacuum sealing, I don't think one or the other is superior for preserving. Vacuum sealing takes longer than wrapping IMO, but not a lot longer. Many people just use freezer paper without the plastic wrap and it works fine.

What I like about vacuum sealing bags is you can take them straight from the freezer and throw them in hot water and they will be thawed in 15 minutes. I also think they work better for odd shaped pieces like shanks, but you have to be careful a bone doesn't poke a hole it it or the seal will be gone.

I use the bags for ground stuff only. After the grind, I run the meat through a sausage stuffer and into the bags. I find that this gets more air out, then I'll twist and hog-staple the bag shut. You can flatten the bag slightly before it goes into the freezer and they stack very well.

The rest of the cuts I'll wrap (plastic-wrap, then freezer paper).

I'll grind bacon ends and pork fat also and store in the bags, then thaw and use for sausage sessions or a lard render session when I am out of cooking lard. I find it keeps very well this way.

It's another step (and having to clean the stuffer) but I've found it to be worth it.

I have used them for a few years. I have 2 year old elk burger with no freezer burn.

What I like about the bags is it save wrapping time. When I grind the second time I put one of the tubes on the grinder I cut down (so the grinder doesn't have to push the burger as far) and shoot right into the bag. I load all the bags then run them through the sealer, tape thingy when I am done.

My experience is butcher paper keeps elkburger good for about 90 days. Vacuum-sealing while getting the bulk of the air out allows the elkburger to be good for a year minimum. The nutritional value ebbs away over time but freezer burn is not an issue when seal.

I sealed the NM elk I processed last week. I put about 20% beef fat in that burger. The NV elk from last month will show up today and is butcher-wrapped. 20% pork fat added. I will eat the butcher wrap stuff first because odds are will otherwise have some start to freezer burn otherwise. The added fat will also turn over time so I try to eat up the burger in under 6 months. Making a big batch of chili this weekend for a TV football game watch party.

Yes I was referring to the stuff tube things...often 1 or 2 pound bags.

Butcher packer

I stopped vacuum sealing due to them being fragile and would lose several packages to freezer burn. I got some new thicker bags for vacuum backpack meals so I may try the flat bag approach and stack in the freezer

My experience is butcher paper keeps elkburger good for about 90 days. Vacuum-sealing while getting the bulk of the air out allows the elkburger to be good for a year minimum. The nutritional value ebbs away over time but freezer burn is not an issue when seal.

I sealed the NM elk I processed last week. I put about 20% beef fat in that burger. The NV elk from last month will show up today and is butcher-wrapped. 20% pork fat added. I will eat the butcher wrap stuff first because odds are will otherwise have some start to freezer burn otherwise. The added fat will also turn over time so I try to eat up the burger in under 6 months. Making a big batch of chili this weekend for a TV football game watch party.

Sheesh with as much burger as I make every fall I would be in big trouble if it only lasted 90 days. I use to do the clear wrap and butcher paper (wife did the wrapping) and had no problem getting 2 years out of it. 10% or less suet. The only reason I switched to the bags for my burger is my help said she would quit me if I didn't find a faster process.

@tjones Do you use a large diameter horn and cut it down? I struggle with tubes and my grinder, it slows down the grinding to about half speed when I stuff. Granted its less steps though... I think I need a bigger grinder, I'm running a 3/4hp with a #12. I want to get a #22 or bigger.

Agree, freezer paper will keep meat much longer than 90 days. To be honest I haven't see a whole lot of difference in longevity with the tube vs the freezer paper. After a year they both look similar to me. The key is to get all the air out and wrap as tight as possible. I run between 200 and 500lbs through my grinder every fall.

@Mthuntr the tubes can also get punctured if you are moving them around much. I keep all my freezer stuff organized so I don't have to move it much at all. Fish are all vacuumed so I am very careful with them. This is my fish freezer...

fish.jpg

@tjones Do you use a large diameter horn and cut it down? I struggle with tubes and my grinder, it slows down the grinding to about half speed when I stuff. Granted its less steps though... I think I need a bigger grinder, I'm running a 3/4hp with a #12. I want to get a #22 or bigger.

Agree, freezer paper will keep meat much longer than 90 days. To be honest I haven't see a whole lot of difference in longevity with the tube vs the freezer paper. After a year they both look similar to me. The key is to get all the air out and wrap as tight as possible. I run between 200 and 500lbs through my grinder every fall.

@Mthuntr the tubes can also get punctured if you are moving them around much. I keep all my freezer stuff organized so I don't have to move it much at all. Fish are all vacuumed so I am very careful with them. This is my fish freezer...

View attachment 117129
There's the "speed stuffer" attachment you can get. It really helps, I have a 3/4 hp grinder too and I've never had an issues running through burger, in fact, I need to get the foot pedal control as it goes too quick!

the tube I use is about 1 1/2” on the exit end and I cut it back to 4”.

it long enough to slide the bag over to start filling from the bottom.

Also I have a 1 3/4 HP Cabelas grinder. I caught them on sale, had a gift card and a bunch of points so I went big.

Also it seems to work better to grind twice through the big plate.

If my 1/3 hp again wasn't so slow I’d try the tubes. If You want to use freezer bags a yogurt container with the bottom cut off works great for keeping the sides clean. I just did my antelope.

675907DB-25F8-4071-B452-BA9C6C7A2386.jpeg

4D1677DC-710B-4C16-A8D6-780521B864A4.jpeg

Freezer paper and plastic wrap all seem to have a significant lifespan over vacuum sealing in my case. I don't think I have a good technique either. It really sucks that it only lasted 90 days for you! Thanks for the input

The NV elk arrived today. The elkburger is in plastic tubes crimped at one end. All else is vacuum-sealed. Part of my experience may be related to my freezer having a defrost mode. That creates slight thaw cycles.

The frost free freezer is your issue. Neither of mine are, and I've kept burger for over a year before with no issues.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Leejones
Back