Waterfowl Hunting Resource Recommendations

Nameless Range

This was the first year I have ever put any effort into hunting waterfowl. The dog and I had a lot of fun, mostly jump shooting birds on the rivers and ponds around here.

The other day Sytes posted a thread that mentioned the drop in waterfowl hunters in South Dakota. I can understand this a bit, as I have found the knowledge gap into starting waterfowl hunting as as great as I would imagine the gap into big game is. I knew almost nothing and found it to be a bit intimidating. The other day I was out with the dog and we could shoot everything other than scaup, and there I was trying to figure out if the birds I was looking at were scaup or some sort of ring-necked duck. I felt like a jackass googling ducks on the side of a river on my phone and I never did feel comfortable about it so we just watched em.

There are alot of great resources for folks to learn how to hunt big game, but I wondered if folks had recommendations for books, forums, youtube channels, etc. on learning the basics of waterfowl hunting? Additionally any good resources for bird identification? Next season I would like to be a bit more prepared.

Any info would be appreciated by me and the dog.

NyssaLookin.JPG

This is probably an obvious answer, but hunting with someone is probably your best bet for bird ID. The few times I've tagged along with a buddy in a blind I'm constantly asking whats this bird or that bird. Its just a big difference seeing photos vs watching how they fly or how they are silhouetted in the early morning sky.

Good on you for not firing for uncertainties. I've once watched a guy across a hot dove, fire all 3 shells at a wood pecker because he misidentified it as a duck. Some bird ID lessons aren't worth it.

Jump shooting is probably where most guys enter water fell. Is Loki doesn't require any special gear except maybe a dog. There are many different styles and strategies for waterfowl hunting. You could sit in a a blind in a field waiting for geese or you could sit in a curtain blind on the East coast waiting for divers to come in 20 feet of water.you have the resources I would tell you to find a guy and get a couple of different hunting experiences like that.if not getting plugged into Delta waterfowl and another local duck hunter will really help you out. Each state probably has its own duck hunting waterfowl group on Facebook, find Montana waterfowlers on there.
As for ID nothing is going to be putting eyes on birds. We will be coming into the spring and there are many places you can find spring plumage birds. Pick up a quick reference waterfowl ID pocket guide and start trying to figure out birds on the water before you do it on the wing.

Haven't found an app that has a lot of information.

this is a really excellent resource that's pretty lady that gives u biology migration history ID all sorts of good stuff: Ducks, Geese, and Swans of North America: 2-vol. set

Ducks at a Distance is a great field ID resource. Best way to get good at it just by doing it. Over time you'll learn to rely as much, if not more, on profile than coloration for ID on the wing.

I'd buy a dozen really good decoys before I'd spend the same money on 3-4 dozen cheap decoys. Calling can be very overrated. I do it, but a really good caller isn't always an absolute necessity.

Ducks at a Distance is a great field ID resource. Best way to get good at it just by doing it. Over time you'll learn to rely as much, if not more, on profile than coloration for ID on the wing.

I'd buy a dozen really good decoys before I'd spend the same money on 3-4 dozen cheap decoys. Calling can be very overrated. I do it, but a really good caller isn't always an absolute necessity.
I have a waterfowl biologist friend who does presentations on waterfowl ID. She always starts with narrowing down species by size and profile. That doesn’t really help with scaup and ringneck ducks, but it is a starting point!

I was in your shoes about 4 years ago. I jumped into waterfowl hunting and had no one to tag along with really so it was all trial and error. The more ducks you see the easier it will get. Some great recommendations posted already. It will get better that first year field hunting was rough. It was rare that I killed a bird now it's pretty rare if I dont, not that that cant change at the drop of a hat. Biggest thing I learned is the weather will help you predict when where to be. The most important aspect I have found is to make sure your hidden I can't emphasize that enough. You can be in the best spot but if you stick out your screwed. I Hope your learning curve goes better than mine. Its easily the most addicting and expensive hobby I've ever had so be ready for that!😉

Last edited:
The best way to get good at id is to look at a lot of ducks. You’ll start to pick out differences in head profile, wing beats, flight patterns, etc. Also, in flight you’re looking more for patterns of light and dark vs colors. Where are the light patches, where are the dark patches on the wing, etc. It does take quite a bit of practice, but you’ll get there.
And I second @JLS...that little Ducks at a Distance book has gotten people started for a long time now. You should be able to find one locally, but if not shoot me a PM.

Become a member of Delta Waterfowl! Great organization that in my opinion, does more for HUNTERS than DU does nowdays, although both are worth the money.
But also, as others have said just observing ducks will help immensely. Might sound super rudimentary but going to Cabela's and looking at the mounts can help, or if you know someone with a bunch of them.
Also, if you've got a park or pond in town that holds birds, just go watch them.

Never had that problem! I can't hit them at a distance!

My family is my main source. I would highly recommend watching YouTube channels like High Prairie Sportsman, Outdoor Limits, and Mid Valley Mercenaries. They are all ethical and are very conscious of bird ID and their bag limit. They are great resources for all things waterfowl hunting.

Like previously mentioned, I would be glad to help you out as much as I can. The true art is figuring out how to cook them!

Become a member of Delta Waterfowl! Great organization that in my opinion, does more for HUNTERS than DU does nowdays, although both are worth the money.
But also, as others have said just observing ducks will help immensely. Might sound super rudimentary but going to Cabela's and looking at the mounts can help, or if you know someone with a bunch of them.
Also, if you've got a park or pond in town that holds birds, just go watch them.
Delta is a great organization.

+1 on good decoys. Buy a dozen dakota mallards, avian x or higdons. Don't waste money on low end decoys, it's the exact same thing as with optics.
You'll waste money slowly upgrading when you could have had Swaros or Zeiss for the same $ spent.

Scout, scout, scout. I can barely make a basic quack, seriously. But if you can find a pond loaded with ducks or a corn field loaded with geese, you
don't even need decoys, they just help to get the birds to land in front of you. Fire up On-X, grab your binos, and go for a drive. That's the best
advice I ever got. PS, and bang doors. I get about 1 yes out of every 7 knocks. Private land waterfowl hunting is the best, it's a hell of a lot more fun
rolling up to the blind at 5:30 instead of 2:30...

I'm in the same boat as you, just started this fall jump shooting them with the pup and now I want to figure out the decoying and calling strategies. Can't wait to learn and implement next fall!

I found the Cornell Chronicle-Worlds largest sound archive.Name a species and they play
the sound the creature makes.Only problem is you need to enter the species name,which
they supply.So like me you have to write it down then enter it...Time consuming.Good pictures. 〽💥

Update: My records are from 2013'upon further review I found it under:
Cornell Chronicle Macaulay Library Archive.Happy Hunting. 〽💥

PEAX Trekking Poles

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Leejones
Back