Water Issues: Wildlife vs. Livestock?

1_pointer

With the continuation of the severe drought in many Western States (UT is in bad shape), how bad do you think the conflict between wildlife and livestock will be this summer? Do you feel that sufficient measures are in place to protect the amount of water needed for wildlife? How bad will agriculture (ranchers and farmers) have it this summer?

Opinion: I think many states will be forced to decide between agriculture and wildlife this summer. I think in certain areas of UT that wildlife will win out because of the monetary gain brought to the state and that there are many more influential people that like to hunt or fish than are ranchers.

I'm not sure how much fighting over water there will be between agriculture and water interests. Water rights will dictate who gets the water. In CO this year, fisheries lost in a big way to Front Range water interests.

I think the real battle will be over whether or not to graze. Most rangeland is in poor condition to begin with because of the drought. Add the pressure of grazing and elk populations that are over objectives (in CO anyway), and it's going to get hammered. Will ranchers be required to remove cattle from public lands due to these conditions? That's going to be where the fight is. I suspect that the Bush Administration will come to the ranchers' aid on this one, just like it did with those in the CRP program last year. We'll see...

Oak

It is going to be interesting.
And I will be right there beside anybody that wants livestock off the range if it is for wildlife.
smile.gif

I wonder how many new threatened or endangered species will appear this year as a ploy for saving water for wildlife? I know many residents in SLC are upset at the amount of water being allowed through the dams right now to protect two species of fish.

The BLM and USFS are going to have some decisions to make this year regarding certain allotments that's for sure. It will be interesting...

It is going to be one heck of a year for water managers, I wouldn't want their job
frown.gif

I just hope they make good decisions.
If they don't I'm sure people will let them know
eek.gif
rolleyes.gif

1P== I think it will get worse than that. I think people are going to want theirs too, for their yards, trees, drinking, and washing. There ought to be a balance between ALL, but some are going to come out short. People will have to move because they won't be able to afford their water. Ag will lose folks while the ground goes dry another year, the animals will suffer the most too.

If they can't afford their water they should use so much!
wink.gif
Where I live it's horrible, $40 for all the secondary water you want!!! I have a feeling that'll come to a screeching halt this summer. I know it won't upset me all that much if my yard goes brown. UT's a pretty dry place.

Im all for agriculture. The game #s will rebound.

I dont want any more ranches put out of business so yuppy californians can divide them up.

Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jon_G
Back