Yeti GOBOX Collection

Water - How Much?

I tend to drink alot of water. On my October Dall Sheep Hunt I was consistently drinking like 2.5-3L a day compared to my partner drinking about half that.
We carried in a Gravity filter, he had a 10L bag we left at camp and I had a 2L that I carried with me most of the time. This allowed us to filter all the water we came across, which we did.
The more I get into this, the more I think I'll follow your lead on that. Good info.

As always let me remind everyone that I’m a novice at best, but hunting the first week in September in co I feel like I’m easily at 4+ liters a day.
If you’re eating mountain house I think 1 of those takes 11/3 to 2 cups each.

The more I get into this, the more I think I'll follow your lead on that. Good info.
I filled up every day as we were leaving and then the small Platypus gravity filter is easy to roll up, light weight. I got it off BlackOvis.com and though i wish I had gotten the 3L dirty bag it worked great. My only complaint was with cold hands mine was harder to attach then my buddies MSR.
I know alot of guys in Alaska who when they are out in those mountains don't tend to filter as much if the water is fast flowing and not alot of animal activity. We filtered anyway just to be safe. But it was nice, and if you need to fill up mid-day you've probably been running hard so the 5 minute break to re-fill will probably do you good. I talked with several people on here, Rokslide and then Kevin Dana or Barney's Sports Chalet in Anchorage - specifically up here with all the silt in our glacier creeks he said the only way to go is gravity so you can flush them and get the silt out. We were both impressed.

Note - I liked the filter ALOT more on the Platypus but the connections were definitely easier on the MSR. Playtpus really needs to rethink that rubber thread cover/nipple they've got for filtration.

Last edited:
As always let me remind everyone that I’m a novice at best, but hunting the first week in September in co I feel like I’m easily at 4+ liters a day.
If you’re eating mountain house I think 1 of those takes 11/3 to 2 cups each.
absolutely true. I hiked with 3L, but in a day I probably drank 5 or more including coffee, oatmeal/mountain house breakfast and then dinner and water at camp. Probably 6L a day wouldn't have been obscene.

I filled up every day as we were leaving and then the small Platypus gravity filter is easy to roll up, light weight. I got it off BlackOvis.com and though i wish I had gotten the 3L dirty bag it worked great. My only complaint was with cold hands mine was harder to attach then my buddies MSR.
I know alot of guys in Alaska who when they are out in those mountains don't tend to filter as much if the water is fast flowing and not alot of animal activity. We filtered anyway just to be safe. But it was nice, and if you need to fill up mid-day you've probably been running hard so the 5 minute break to re-fill will probably do you good. I talked with several people on here, Rokslide and then Kevin Dana or Barney's Sports Chalet in Anchorage - specifically up here with all the silt in our glacier creeks he said the only way to go is gravity so you can flush them and get the silt out. We were both impressed.

Not - I liked the filter ALOT more on the Platypus but the connections were definitely easier on the MSR. Playtpus really needs to rethink that rubber thread cover/nipple they've got for filtration.
Thanks, I really appreciate the tips. I'll definitely keep those in mind. On my hunts next year, no matter what I draw, I plan to drive in as far as I can with my truck and them run and gun for the next five days of the hunt. Using this gear will definitely help that plan. Thanks again.

Good points about freezing, usually think of warm weather when it comes to water needs, but cold weather can be just as challenging if not more. You might not need quite as much as in hot weather but just as important to stay hydrated, and hard freezes can make it tricky, especially if it's just cold without much snow. Hydration bags are pretty useless once it gets so cold, you have to constantly be drinking to keep the tube from freezing, and even then if it's very cold it will end up frozen at some point. I end up carrying insulated containers once it gets really cold just to make sure I have at least some water that doesn't freeze. Metal containers are easier to thaw than plastic if they do freeze.

Good points about freezing, usually think of warm weather when it comes to water needs, but cold weather can be just as challenging if not more. You might not need quite as much as in hot weather but just as important to stay hydrated, and hard freezes can make it tricky, especially if it's just cold without much snow. Hydration bags are pretty useless once it gets so cold, you have to constantly be drinking to keep the tube from freezing, and even then if it's very cold it will end up frozen at some point. I end up carrying insulated containers once it gets really cold just to make sure I have at least some water that doesn't freeze. Metal containers are easier to thaw than plastic if they do freeze.
Good point on the type of container. Metal probably holds up better next to the fire than plastic!

The micropur tablets have a 5 year shelf life, so I usually buy the 30pack and then put some in my bino harness and a couple other places and then have my main cache in my bag.

View attachment 172704
Do these require any type of pre filter or screen?
Or like you just dip your container in a pool of water, drop them in, wait 4 hrs and you’re good to go?

I carry a 2L Platypus bladder and a 1L Nalgene bottle whenever I go out for the day. That's my minimum, some days I've come back with nothing and wish I had taken more with me and others I still have lots left.

One thing I always carry is water purification tablets and a gravity filtering bag for long hunts.

Do these require any type of pre filter or screen?
Or like you just dip your container in a pool of water, drop them in, wait 4 hrs and you’re good to go?
Nope, just fill and drop them in. If you water is super cloudy or gross with lots of particulates you might want to let it settle or skim off stuff.

For instance you could use a shirt tail or bandana to cover the opening of your bladder when you fill it.

For the record I was kidding, though I do use other electrolyte supplements. Kinda nice after a long pull.
Oh yea I am slightly addicted to Liquid IV. It really enhances my drinking potential and recovery.

Thanks for those kill times. Why is water worse in mid-Sep? I'd think it would be worse (dried up) in the summer...
Dry season in a lot places extends into Oct, which is often the absolutely lowest flows. Once the fall rains hit then it starts getting better. Even just a couple of wet days can really bring dried springs back to life.

Dry season in a lot places extends into Oct, which is often the absolutely lowest flows. Once the fall rains hit then it starts getting better. Even just a couple of wet days can really bring dried springs back to life.
Out here in NM, a couple of wet days after a dry spell can be down right dangerous!

I'm thinking of trying backpack hunting next year to increase range, and I'd be curious to know what folks do for water?
Carry In?
Find on the go?
Some combination?

And what are folks' average daily needs? I'm thinking a liter/quart per day is probably a good place to start.

Thanks for all your input in advance.
Water will weigh you down quicker than anything in your pack- 8.33 lbs/gallon, so I try to plan all my trips around reliable water sources. Here in the SW, that can be difficult, but I carry a min of 3.5 liters per day (volume of my water bladder).

Water will weigh you down quicker than anything in your pack- 8.33 lbs/gallon, so I try to plan all my trips around reliable water sources. Here in the SW, that can be difficult, but I carry a min of 3.5 liters per day (volume of my water bladder).
Thanks! Appreciate the info.

I try to top off water every chance I can unless there is water everywhere. I think it's been said but I now take a large empty bladder so I only need to make one trip to the water source at night. When you've spent 12 hours climbing, the last thing you want is multiple trips or carry several bottles, usually uphill back to camp.

I tore 2 roofs off yesterday, 16 hrs, wearing long sleeves. High of 84 degrees and moderate wind. Drank 11L, and could have drank more as my urine color ranged from light to medium yellow.

That’s an extreme situation but hauling elk quarters in warm weather, including trips by flashlight isn’t altogether so different. It’s easy to underestimate water intake when sweating profusely over many hours.

Yeti GOBOX Collection

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
believeinyourself
Back