Water - How Much?

Some of these dudes just drink the blood of their kills and the tears of their enemies I'm pretty sure.
We usually just hunt near water (I use a life straw water bottle as long as the temps aren't too low). For hunts in drier spots, I'm lucky enough to live where I hunt, so we pack in a couple gallons each scouting trip. Use liquid IV or something else to replace salts, drink as much as you can the night and morning before your hike, and stay hydrated in your day-to-day. That all seems to help me.
As for amounts, when its cold I have to make myself drink water, when its hot I carry 2-3 32oz water bottles and drink em all. I always have my filter and some iodine stuff with me as well.

So as others have said it all depends on location of water source, your intake needs, etc...

First two below we had scouted previously and knew where the water was.

New Mexico 2015 in early Oct up in the Pecos we had water everywhere even though we were 5.5 miles from the truck.

Colorado 2017 Early Sept High Country SW CO we had water next to camp with was t 11,500 feet and 3 miles from truck.

New Mexico 2019 we could only go off OnX and topo. A few springs were marked but we didn't scout nor had either of us backpacked in before. We left 5 gallons in the truck and our camping bench was 1000 feet down into a canyon and 1000 feet up the other side, about 2 miles away. I carried my 3L bladder, and two Nalgenes filled going in. Partner carried the same, along with 2 extra gallons of water ( he wasn't hunting so his pack was lighter :))

We planned on hopefully finding water, but it would be at the bottom of the canyon, so the gallon jugs could be filled and brought up if needed.

Now I know with myself, being a flatlander from the midwest my water intake is alot different from my partner who is from ABQ and works in the mountains continuosly. I usually am close to empty by the time I get to camp and while waiting for water to boil and the MH to rehydrate, I drink at least half a Nalgene of Wilderness Athlete hydrate and recover. It helps with my 47 year old body feel better and I don't get headaches anymore.

Always plan on drinking more than you think.

Lots of good answers here already; it also depends on your age and conditioning. I did a bear hunt in the mountains when I was 50 and I noticed I drank about 2x as much water as my guide, who was mid-30s.

I hunt mostly in Texas, and I carry three 1-quart canteens and have backup water jugs in the Jeep.

At high elevation, early in the year with daytime temps of 70s, I'll easily go through 3 liters of water in a day. Oftentimes, that isn't near enough.

I carry a 3L bladder in my pack and it's completely empty by the end of the day, I've run out of water a number of times during pack outs which sucks.

I try to figure out where my water sources are before I hunt somewhere, and will pack in a second 3L or a 9L bladder if necessary. Often the water sources is at the bottom of a mountain or something so you hike in 4 miles, then fill up your water and then climb an additional 1 or 2 and 4,000ft.

Filters are great for multiple people in the summer, they start to suck around mid Sept. for most western hunts. I switch to katadyn chlorine dioxide tablets for the fall and winter.

Just a note as people seem to screw this up, all water tablets drops etc. take 4 hours to kill everything, they will kill most stuff in 30min. The tablets or water drops that say 30min are giving you the directions just for Giardia, 4hrs is for Cryptosporidium.
Thanks for those kill times. Why is water worse in mid-Sep? I'd think it would be worse (dried up) in the summer...

When backpacking the backcountry water is extremely important and how much you need varies by person. To avoid cramps and dehydration I drink alot of water. Also if you are from lower elevations being properly hydrated is important. The best advice I can give is load your pack and take long day hikes and see what you need before going in the backcountry. Hike in different weather conditions and at different elevations and see how you feel when it is not a life threatening situation. You should then have a good idea what you need for your body type.

Dangerously small amount there! If it’s hot, you’re sweating, carrying a pack or hailing meat, doing lots of miles, etc I’m at about 7L + 1.5L to rehydrate food. At the lower end if you’re not sweating much a hair under 4L + 1.5L for food. I like a 2L hydration pack + 2 quart bottles I will also fill if water is scarce. If water is abundant I have 1L minimum on hand.
That's what I'm seeing. Sounds like I HAVE to bring along a filtration system to supplement.

View attachment 172699

Don't forget your "water enhancements" hydration bruh....
Oh lord I forgot that stuff existed. A coworker of mine when I worked as an arborist would drink nothing but coffee, Bucked Up water, suck down a half dozen cigs, and climb huge trees all day in the CO summer heat. Shockingly to no one but himself, he had to change his ways when he started to lose vision in one eye after a month and a half of rinse and repeat. WHOOO! BUCKED UP!!!

Freezing temps can screw up filters so once it starts to get cold at night switching to pills or drops is a good idea.
I love the Sawyer squeeze filters because they are ultralight, but starting in September I put them in the middle of my pack, and in my sleeping bag at night so that they don't freeze. All of those micro-tube filters are rendered useless if they freeze with any water inside them at all. I have also had a couple of their bags tear, which completely sucks in the field. I always bring pills as a back up because they weigh nothing.

Oh lord I forgot that stuff existed. A coworker of mine when I worked as an arborist would drink nothing but coffee, Bucked Up water, suck down a half dozen cigs, and climb huge trees all day in the CO summer heat. Shockingly to no one but himself, he had to change his ways when he started to lose vision in one eye after a month and a half of rinse and repeat. WHOOO! BUCKED UP!!!
For the record I was kidding, though I do use other electrolyte supplements. Kinda nice after a long pull.

Reactions: trb
Freezing temps can screw up filters so once it starts to get cold at night switching to pills or drops is a good idea.
Gravity filters don't work too well either I actually leave my hose and filter submerged in running water for the day while I hunt if it's available. Then refill bladders at night when I return.

I'm thinking of trying backpack hunting next year to increase range, and I'd be curious to know what folks do for water?
Carry In?
Find on the go?
Some combination?

And what are folks' average daily needs? I'm thinking a liter/quart per day is probably a good place to start.

Thanks for all your input in advance.
I tend to drink alot of water. On my October Dall Sheep Hunt I was consistently drinking like 2.5-3L a day compared to my partner drinking about half that.
We carried in a Gravity filter, he had a 10L bag we left at camp and I had a 2L that I carried with me most of the time. This allowed us to filter all the water we came across, which we did.

Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
believeinyourself
Back