Washington State Mule deer

Ha, that seems to be a trend. Just looking for something different, an experience. On technical terms they have higher success rates than most otc states. Just checking it out. I have a few draw hunts I should get this year too.

If an experience is what you’re looking for, hunt the cascades during the high buck hunt

If you’re truly looking for advice on hunting out west I wouldn’t go onto a forum and call everyone a bunch of road hunters within my first 10 posts. People are trying to give you sound advice and you’re being a dick about it. So either take the advice graciously, even if it doesn’t align with your online research, or move along because nobody is going to put up with your shit

Hey OP, don’t listen to the salty old farts and hunt the shit out of that country, you’ll get into bucks and have a great adventure. Try asking about California hunting it’s hilarious, and I have great times and success every year. Plus, why not spread the love/experience around? Next thread these doofuses will be complaining about to much pressure in ID or CO...

Road hunters, salty old farts, doofuses....well, I guess we'll all just have to take this as another joke. First off, as a WA hunter, I don't complain about pressure, anywhere I hunt. I accept that anywhere I go in this state, there's likely to be somebody else behind a tree or over the ridge. And hunting out of state I appreciate the fact that I don't usually see that same pressure. Personally, I'd have told the OP my home unit and said go for it, cause you're just another drop in the bucket. But when the OP makes statements about backpack hunting and in the same breath, worries about a 4 wheeler trail, in a state with as much awesome wilderness and near wilderness as Washington, most of which has pretty good hunting, and then calls some hardcore not road hunters road hunters, well, let's just say I think he hasn't gotten off on the right foot here.

It's also interesting to me that when it was suggested that there may in fact be better units (and I honestly believe that everyone who suggested that believes it and wasn't trying to steer the OP away from their secret unit), the OP became offended that we'd question his online research from the east coast. I agree, hunt the shit out that unit. Have fun!

I know that country well, there is lots of lazy hunters. I have yet to see a hunter in the field in last 3 years where I have hunted. I have seen multiple bucks on all my hunts. That road you were asking about is a zoo with quads

Hey OP, don’t listen to the salty old farts and hunt the shit out of that country, you’ll get into bucks and have a great adventure. Try asking about California hunting it’s hilarious, and I have great times and success every year. Plus, why not spread the love/experience around? Next thread these doofuses will be complaining about to much pressure in ID or CO...
🙄

yep, hunt the shit out of it.

Hello everyone! This is my first post on here. My name is Jake and I am 31 years old. I am from Pennsylvania and I am pretty new to hunting out west. I've been on quite a few hunts, just tagging along with my buddy. Last year was my first time I ever got to hunt with a tag in my pocket. I ended up harvesting a pretty decent half rack mule deer during Idaho's general season. This year will be my first solo hunt, and I would like to hunt Washington's unit 186 during modern firearms. We do a lot of back pack hunting so I am not afraid to hike. I have been doing some serious research and have picked a few spots out. My question is, does anyone know if that four wheeler trail is open at the chief joseph wildlife rec area? I am more looking to hunt the west side of the unit but east of the rec area looks good, as long as there aren't four wheelers buzzing up and down all day. Thank you in advance for your time.

Hey Jake, I lived and hunted in E. WA for many years prior to moving to AZ. By no means would WA be considered a "big buck" state. However, there are plenty of deer running around with plenty of units to chose from. I would highly recommend checking out http://hunting-washington.com/smf/index.php. This is a forum specifically for hunting in Washington and you will find a wealth of information. Like all forums, some info will be more helpful and some will not:) If you want to see some big bucks that were taken in WA, do a search for "shehuntswashington". This girl is a beast and shoots some very nice animals in that state.

Don't be discouraged, big animals do come out of that state. I think a lot of the out of state hate comes from the fact that you have to buy your license and tag in order to put in for the draw. I may get some flack for all this, but hey, if a guy wants to hunt a specific unit, who am I to tell him otherwise.

Another note, do some research on the Stealhead run on the Grande Ronde, could be worth bringing a rod if they are running.

Good luck, post that story when your done!

I just can't imagine why someone would get so committed to a certain unit in an OTC state that gives you the option of hunting nearly any unit in the state. I'm planning to hunt CO OTC elk in the next couple of years, and I already have about 10 areas of interest. I'll take whatever advice I can get regarding those areas, or any others not on my list. In the end I'll prioritize by where I think I want to hunt the most based on terrain type and potential for success, but will have all intentions of shifting to backup plans if needed. 186 is a tiny sliver in the corner of the state (maybe that's the strategy, get as close to ID and OR as possible!), why limit yourself to only considering that part of the state? I think it's great that you are considering WA as a non resident, we get very few, but why not check it out a little more? Seriously makes no difference in the world to me, just seems like an odd way to approach it. Anyways, hope you have a great hunt where ever you decide to go.

I will say in his defense that he didn’t ask us about the area. All he asked about was ATV traffic...

Hey Jake, I lived and hunted in E. WA for many years prior to moving to AZ. By no means would WA be considered a "big buck" state. However, there are plenty of deer running around with plenty of units to chose from. I would highly recommend checking out http://hunting-washington.com/smf/index.php. This is a forum specifically for hunting in Washington and you will find a wealth of information. Like all forums, some info will be more helpful and some will not:) If you want to see some big bucks that were taken in WA, do a search for "shehuntswashington". This girl is a beast and shoots some very nice animals in that state.

Don't be discouraged, big animals do come out of that state. I think a lot of the out of state hate comes from the fact that you have to buy your license and tag in order to put in for the draw. I may get some flack for all this, but hey, if a guy wants to hunt a specific unit, who am I to tell him otherwise.

Another note, do some research on the Stealhead run on the Grande Ronde, could be worth bringing a rod if they are running.

Good luck, post that story when your done!
alot of her bucks are taken outta state and more specifically ID.

If you want a bigger area to hunt with pack trails etc you may wanna look into 172. I have hunted it a few times and have drawn elk tags there. I was surprised by how many bucks I got on my cams. One cam 2 years ago had 11 different muley bucks. The few times I have deer hunted it I never saw a soul out hiking. Not many venture into these units or far from the road.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Leejones
Back