Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

Washington Blacktail hits the dirt!!

raybow 1

Here is a blacktail my cousin and I got this weekend!! Very nice high country buck!!

Attachments

• Picture017.jpg
    Picture017.jpg
    66.4 KB · Views: 264
  • Picture018.jpg
    Picture018.jpg
    63.5 KB · Views: 245
  • Picture016.jpg
    Picture016.jpg
    61.2 KB · Views: 233
We picked up his track about 8am and tracked him to his bedding ridge where he had trees torn up everywhere. I knew he was the dominant buck for this area so we stayed with him as long as we could. He finally worked his way downwind so we split off the track and dropped back down the ridge. We went to the high country meadow which was 150 yards below his bedding ridge. We sat and watched for an hour or so before I spotted him sneaking out from the timber. I nudged JR and pointed the buck out. Right before he shot I told him it was a big big buck!! (He HE) He missed the first two because of buck fever and I told him to give me his gun!! I had him half talked into it before he realized what the hell he was doing and he pulled the gun back mumbeling profanity laced sentences toward me. The deer then lowered his head and went back to feeding. I pulled a branch which he was about to shoot from in front of his barrel or he would've choked again. I couldn't stand the suspence of all of this non action. Needless to say he finally hit it and as we were gutting him out a big 5x5 bull elk stepped out to see what all the shootin was about. When he realized that it was JR he went right to feeding knowing he had nothing to worry about. When I got done dressing him out I picked up JRs' gun to take a closer look and he took off running knowing I wasn't past taking a pop shot at a bonus bull. Would've been a great hunt had I got a round or two off at that bull!! It only took 4 hours to pack out this nursery buck.

Either way it sound like ya'll had a great hunt. But I have a question. If it took ya'll 4 hours to get teh deer out what would you hve done with a 5x5 bull as well??????
Quick Draw

Great looking blacktail, congrats. I can't wait to hunt blacktails someday, there's just something about them...

Quick Draw!! The answere is easy to that question. I woulda done exactly what Greeny woulda done and shot him right in the a$$. I figure that would eliminate at least 50 or 60 pounds of meat with a 300 ultra mag bullet right through the hams!! :D
Fun is what it's all about until some a$$hole pulls the trigger and makes a clean shot with minimal wastage. That's exactly why it took 4 hours. Well, I spose it coulda taken that long cause the game warden made us go pick up all our empty beer cans too. That really frosted me on that deal. Only 6 of em were mine. The other 18 were the dumb a$$"s that shot that damned thing way back in there.

raybow, WTG! Are you sure that is'nt your twin brother? Yeah, Put that bad boy on the wall. What are you going to shoot next? Our rifle deer season opens Saturday Morning and I expect some good things as the weather has gotten alot colder just in the nick of time. John

That b-tail is a PIG....3x the size of the dinky dog deer I've been chasen around here the past three weeks! Great mass on that rack as well.
Congrats!!!

Nice buck. Did you get him in the high country in Norther Cascades? Noticed you where from Bellingham. Just curious how was the hunting pressure? Did you see a lot of guys?

john;
Sounds like a recipe for a chance at rolling one over in the clover. Keep me posted on the hunt!! The funny thing about this buck is I kept telling my two sons to be persistent in this area and they would knock a nice one down. They slacked off just a little and me and JR picked up where they left off. What a lesson from the old bucks to the young bucks huh!! PATIENCE.

shedyoda;
Ya he is a high country buck and we did get him in the cascade mountain range. There are people everywhere around this state hunting but most do not get back in very far. This buck may have never seen a human in there. It is very rugged getting to him as it is a huge drainage. We hiked into the head of it where it became very steep on all sides. The thing is, those big bucks are just like those big bulls. They like to bed at the head of the drainage where the wind swirls to make it nearly impossible to get up on em without em winding you. You can't mess around too much either or you will push em right out of the area for the rest of the season.

No there are very few people that will go in this area because it is too hard to get to let alone packing out of.

All ya gotta do is tell a few guys that ya got him somwhere they can drive to and it won't be long until ya have shitloads of em hunting the same road. HE HE It eliminates a lot of competition where you are actually hunting.

No there are very few people that will go in this area because it is too hard to get to let alone packing out of.

All ya gotta do is tell a few guys that ya got him somwhere they can drive to and it won't be long until ya have shitloads of em hunting the same road. HE HE It eliminates a lot of competition where you are actually hunting.[/QUOTE]

I agree RB. I do most of my hunting in the high country on the early high hunt and still try to make in the high country during the regular season if the weather allows me. I hunt on the eastside for mule deer. Lots of area to hunt down low and I'm glad it saves more Wilderness for me. I've actually had does walk right up to me within 5 ft. or so in certain areas, due to never seeing a human I believe. Also I like to haul it out on my back. Makes you feel like you really earned the kill.

shedyoda

Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Elkslayer38
Back