WARNING: Student Load Forgiveness is Very Unlikely to Pay for Your Next Elk Tag

When i was going to NDSU at the time the graduation rate was 29% is what we were told. That was just for that school that doesnt take into all the people who started there and finished elsewhere.
Most football teams have higher grad rates than the typical student group. And it is not the scholarships. Non-scholarship football players do even better than that.

Some jobs can be accomplished and accomplished well with degrees that do not pertain to the job. But many DO require a specific degree. Anyone want to have open heart surgery from someone with political science degree? How about any of the other Liberal Arts degrees? As discussed, you aren't going to be an engineer without that degree (technically possible, but exceedingly rare). I certainly don't want non-degreed, non-PE "engineers" designing the bridge I am going to drive under when a train is going over the bridge. On trial for murder? Hey, your lawyer didn't actually go to law school, but did a great job on his English Literature degree.

Much has been said about the thinking skills that liberal arts degrees gain. Those same skills are learned by other degrees as well. Believe me, Calc 4 requires some thinking skills!

i had another realization after my last post.

i know a guy who is a mechanical engineer and worked in medical devices, made a lot of money.

he's an investment banker now, makes a lot of money.

ergo, the only degree anyone should ever get is an engineering degree -- you can go be whatever you want, including an engineer.

i know a guy who is a mechanical engineer and worked in medical devices, made a lot of money.

ergo, the only degree anyone should ever get is an engineering degree -- you can go be whatever you want, including an engineer.
I always tell kids who ask for college/career advice, “If you are intellectually able, add a STEM major/minor to what ever you want to be and you will have more options and add to your earning capacity.” So, you like to teach - stem teachers are in higher demand and are often paid more. You want to do marketing- marketing pharma or cell phones pays better than marketing groceries. You want to be a writer? Technical writing is a great way to generate income while writing the great American novel. Want to go to law school? More demand (and more recession proof) for lawyers to deal with technology and innovation than general lawyers.

Funny how everyone plans for their kids to be on the far right of a normal distribution curve. It happens all the time in sports, education, etc.

This made me think a little. My first reaction: that seems logical. Why wouldn't you plan for your kids to be successful. Then you think a little deeper. Does the act of planning actually help you kids achieve that? Do parents actually plan for kids to be in the middle or below average? I would wager that there is a strong causation between where parents plan for their kids to end up and where they actually end up.

I would assume there are quite a few parents that don't plan at all. I would opine that those kids are much less successful. Funny how most of the worlds problems eventually come back to parenting.

Sometimes folks count unhatched chickens and they should be forewarned on this one. The early word is that SCOTUS arguments today did not seem supportive of the Biden proclamation of student loan forgiveness, and such a program likely will have to wait until it has support from 60 US senators (or until the demise of the filibuster), 218 Reps and 1 Pres at the same time - a situation that does not exist at this moment.

Interestingly, SCOTUS seems to agree with Biden’s original position during the primaries when he said POTUS does not have this type of authority. So in fairness, he was right once.

The hailmary hope is that a narrow majority fails to find standing by the plaintiffs, but that will just lead to a new suit with new plaintiffs.
I felt like I was reading the Babylon Bee. 😆

This made me think a little. My first reaction: that seems logical. Why wouldn't you plan for your kids to be successful. Then you think a little deeper. Does the act of planning actually help you kids achieve that? Do parents actually plan for kids to be in the middle or below average? I would wager that there is a strong causation between where parents plan for their kids to end up and where they actually end up.

I would assume there are quite a few parents that don't plan at all. I would opine that those kids are much less successful. Funny how most of the worlds problems eventually come back to parenting.
Here's more the scenario I had in mind. Parents do okay, in the tough spot between getting a bunch of aid and having enough money to not need it. They push little Jimmy to go to college for an engineering degree, because, as we've seen from this thread apparently that's the golden ticket. He gets into a state school but has to take out loans. Tries to pursue that engineering degree but just doesn't have what it takes.

What's he do now? Eat the debt with no degree? Pursue another degree? But what if that degree isn't a golden ticket?

Here's more the scenario I had in mind. Parents do okay, in the tough spot between getting a bunch of aid and having enough money to not need it. They push little Jimmy to go to college for an engineering degree, because, as we've seen from this thread apparently that's the golden ticket. He gets into a state school but has to take out loans. Tries to pursue that engineering degree but just doesn't have what it takes.

What's he do now? Eat the debt with no degree? Pursue another degree? But what if that degree isn't a golden ticket?
How is that different than starting a small business that fails or choosing a construction career but then have a housing slump, etc?

It used to be (and probably still is) that every USAF Academy graduate was at least a double major. Their preferred area of study and engineering.

So at the UMich teaching hospital Dr. Koelling does Heart Transplants... and therefore obviously teaches fellows, but also bills a ton for the University Hospital.

We have such a weird system...

Also... apparently English PhD is the correct choice, would bet that English professor hasn't done much 24hr call had to do a 18hour procedure.

PE. the correct answer is be a PE teacher.

1678901557064.png
1678901625060.png

But then...
1678901757573.png

Professors
1678901904839.png

Law School
1678901940900.png
Business School
1678901988558.png

So at the UMich teaching hospital Dr. Koelling does Heart Transplants... and therefore obviously teaches fellows, but also bills a ton for the University Hospital.

We have such a weird system...

Also... apparently English PhD is the correct choice, would bet that English professor hasn't done much 24hr call had to do a 18hour procedure.

PE. the correct answer is be a PE teacher.

View attachment 268552
View attachment 268553

But then...
View attachment 268554

Professors
View attachment 268555

Law School
View attachment 268557
Business School
View attachment 268559
Can’t speak to Mich. or this particular doctor, but many doctors at teaching school also make a lot of $$ outside of state salary working with other practices and consulting. (Of course, so to big time coaches)

Last edited:
Reading this thread has made me wonder about the career choices that young folks have ahead of them. I wonder how AI technology is going to effect some of the career fields that have been discussed here and if some of them will not be very viable much longer. For example my son is thinking of majoring in Atmospheric Sciences (meteorology) I am concerned that this might not be a viable career path with the advent of these newer technologies. My wife says I am over thinking it and you should always pursue your dreams, I get that but you need to put grits on the table too. curious what some of y'all think

Can’t speak to Mich. or this particular doctor, but many doctors at teaching school also make a lot of $$ outside of state salary as working with other practices and consulting.

Totally, I assume the appt Fraction denotes this though may not include moonlighting. Anecdotally, that number as a full time salary (total comp) is in line with what I no folks at other hospitals in medicine sub-specialties.

1678903185901.png

@DouglasR I expect your future diatribes to be about the generational wealth and systemic inequalities... "bag" getting by these folks

View attachment 268560View attachment 268561
I‘ll take the bait and blow up the thread. re: generational wealth . . .

I want the following 4 changes to our US tax system and I want them now:

- Max aggregate tax burden of 35% of annual income - local, state, federal — all forms.
- Under $10million ($20m joint)=0% death tax - over $10/20million=100% death tax with only up to half being able to be reduced via charitable donation
- Any person holding more than $10 million ($20m joint) in unrealized but liquid gains will have any borrowed amounts treated as ordinary income other than borrowed funds directly invested into capital assets. This includes loans against life ins.
- Above $10m ($20m joint) lifetime net capital gains and dividend income, all future capital gains and dividends will be taxed as ordinary income.

Drop the mic.

I‘ll take the bait and blow up the thread. re: generational wealth . . .

I want the following 4 changes to our US tax system and I want them now:

- Max aggregate tax burden of 35% of annual income - local, state, federal — all forms.
- Under $10million ($20m joint)=0% death tax - over $10/20million=100% death tax with only up to half being able to be reduced via charitable donation
- Any person holding more than $10 million ($20m joint) in unrealized but liquid gains will have any borrowed amounts treated as ordinary income other than borrowed funds directly invested into capital assets. This includes loans against life ins.
- Above $10m ($20m joint) lifetime net capital gains and dividend income, all future capital gains and dividends will be taxed as ordinary income.

Drop the mic.
Pick the mic back up, I don’t disagree with most of your ideas.

If I was fortunate enough to hit that 20 mil cap (dream on) I would much prefer to be able to donate everything to charity than see the government get their hands on any of it.

If we’re making tax changes then I want every single person to have skin in the game. 48-52% of people in this country pay nothing and that’s not acceptable if you want to hammer people for being successful.

Pick the mic back up, I don’t disagree with most of your ideas.

If I was fortunate enough to hit that 20 mil cap (dream on) I would much prefer to be able to donate everything to charity than see the government get their hands on any of it.
At some point the govt has to have the funds to run the “common good” activities our democratic process supports. I figure 50-50 is a fair balance of a dead person’s interest in charity.

If we’re making tax changes then I want every single person to have skin in the game. 48-52% of people in this country pay nothing and that’s not acceptable if you want to hammer people for being successful.
My view of taxes is broad and includes sales taxes, property taxes (incl, that paid indirectly by renters), payroll withholding for Soc/Med and if you do that, the poorest 25% does pay a reasonable share compared to the other quartiles. With a broad brush, about the only folks that avoid skin in the game are the uber rich (>$50m) who ”hide” wealth as unrealized gains and live lavish lifestyles using “borrowed money” instead of generating income. I would guess 95% if Americans have skin in the game relatively connected to their income/wealth. There is probably a bottom 5% who pays almost none and a top 0.01% that does the same. Our focus on fed income tax skews perceptions of tax base.

Totally, I assume the appt Fraction denotes this though may not include moonlighting. Anecdotally, that number as a full time salary (total comp) is in line with what I no folks at other hospitals in medicine sub-specialties.

View attachment 268562
Come on dude - it is a Wednesday - I ain’t doing math basis an unclearly labeled 6th column in 6pt font. ;)

Back