Caribou Gear Tarp

Wandering buffalo, velvet mule deer and bugling bulls....what a year!

masmcclintock

I will try to keep this as concise as possible but lets be totally honest; that probably won't happen. I'm posting in the "other" forum because this is mostly a recap of my brother and I's WY DIY buffalo hunt, but I decided to throw in our other hunts as well just for fun. First, thanks to everyone that helped with info on our literal once in a lifetime tags. Who would have thunk that two brothers from TX would draw 2 of the 25 bull bison tags in WY....well it happened, and "spoiler alert", we both go it done!
I will start with the first hunt of the year, which happened to be a CO archery deer tag. All other tags pretty much got thrown on the back burner after we drew the bison tags, including this one. I wasn't even planning on going, but my wife granted me permission to go opening weekend and see if I could pull it off. For everyone that has tried, a weekend in the high country of CO is not much time to drive from TX without setting foot in the unit and find a buck and actually get an arrow off, but I was happy for the chance. I talked my mom in to coming to help drive and also go on a "long hike"...she hasn't been to the high country before, so i don't think she fully knew what she was signing up for, but none the less we took off.
IMG_1635.jpeg

We drove all night and hit the trail before daylight. We made it close to where I wanted to start glassing and found some bucks. We watched them for a while and scouted the rest of the day before spiking out in our tents with intentions of finding the group of bucks again in the morning.
IMG_1645.jpeg

Opening morning started in the dark and getting to our glassing knob. 30 minutes later, our bucks popped back out. I decided to put a stalk on them while they were feeding and low and behold I got a shot at a good buck and was tagged out an hour into opening morning.
IMG_9820.jpeg
IMG_9828.jpeg

We packed him up and headed back to TX, and made the wife happy by showing up a day early from the weekend trip!...brownie points.

The next hunting trip was back to CO to try to fill my brothers elk tag that he cashed in a decent number of points for. To say that hopes were high for this trip would be an understatement. We planned our trip around the full moon and decided to go the 3rd week of Sept in hopes that the rut action would be going good during the day. Once again we drove all night and made it to the trailhead about 9am. We hiked until noonish and decided to take a little nap on the hill and then start some bugling shortly afterwards. From 1pm until dark we literally had non-stop action. We had 9 or 10 different bulls respond to our bugles and when we would blow one out, we would just go to the next one. It was the most epic afternoon of elk hunting that we have ever experienced; again in a unit we have never stepped foot in. Almost at dark, I called in a nice 5x5 into 23y and my brother couldn't resist and made a perfect shot. The bull took 4 steps and tipped over deader than a hammer...7 years worth of points gone in 6 hours of hunting!
IMG_9878.jpeg
IMG_9863.jpeg
IMG_9872.jpeg

We spent the next day packing the bull out.

IMG_1968.jpeg
IMG_1974.jpeg

Well, we had planned on being away from home for 10 days, and it had only been 2, so we decided that since we were half way to WY that we would at least go scout for buffalo and learn what the boundary situation was like up there. So we hit the road for another 12 hours.

IMG_2061.jpeg

We checked in with WYFG and got as much info as we could from them. I will say that the ladies at the Jackson office were by far the most helpful game department employees that either of us have ever dealt with. The were so helpful with all of their information, and genuinely wanting us to be successful on our hunt. A big shout out goes to them.
IMG_2084.jpeg

We took off from the game office and hit the hills looking for buff.

IMG_2088.jpeg

Day 1 was a lot of driving and getting our bearing as far as boundaries go and looking for sign. We did find some grizz tracks and shortly after cut a buff track on a mountain road.

IMG_2095.jpeg

Day 2. We took off in the direct of the buff track from the day before. A mile later and we found exactly what we drove 24 hours for. A wild buffalo on public land! We got the wind right and planned a stalk. I brought my bow and my brother brought the rifle as back up. I was the chosen one to go first since he had shot an elk 2 day before. We made our way closer and got to within 30 yards of the beast.
IMG_2118.jpeg

I put a good shot on him at 28y. A complete pass through with an Easton FMJ, 50g brass insert and 100g iron will solid broadhead. That was impressive. After some celebration and completely dumbfounded by the week we were having, reality set in that we had just shot a buffalo and it was going to get close to 70 later that day. We started calling around to packers, which should have been done in advance, but who knew that we would even be in the state during September....a long story short, it was the day before elk season started and everyone was moving in camps and clients. All of their advice was to hurry up and not let the meat spoil and have our heads on a swivel for grizzly bears that were due to show up to the scene of the crime at any point. This lit a fire under our butts and we went in after the bull earlier than we would have under normal circumstances. We ended up bumping him after about 150y of blood trailing and not wanting to push in onto Grand Teton National Park, or lose any more time we chose to finish him off with the rifle. It turned out to be the right decision because it finished the deal quickly, but on a selfish note, it kind of stunk because this was a huge bull. I rough scored him and he would have probably been top 10-20 all time P&Y. Nonetheless, I had my free range WY buffalo.
IMG_2101.jpeg
IMG_2106.jpeg

We butchered him up as fast as two guys can and got the meat away from the guts about 1/4 mile. We proceeded to spend the rest of the day making hauling meat and keeping our heads on a swivel looking for approaching grizz. It was honestly the most nerve wracking day in the woods I have ever had. There was grizz sign around every corner and it seemed like only a matter of time until we ran into one.
IMG_2115.jpeg
IMG_2122.jpeg
IMG_2352.jpeg

Attachments

• IMG_1645.jpeg
    IMG_1645.jpeg
    2.1 MB · Views: 15
  • IMG_1635.jpeg
    IMG_1635.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 17
  • IMG_9820.jpeg
    IMG_9820.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 12
  • IMG_9828.jpeg
    IMG_9828.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 10
  • IMG_9878.jpeg
    IMG_9878.jpeg
    654.1 KB · Views: 7
  • IMG_9863.jpeg
    IMG_9863.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 6
  • IMG_1968.jpeg
    IMG_1968.jpeg
    4.4 MB · Views: 6
  • IMG_1974.jpeg
    IMG_1974.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 6
  • IMG_9872.jpeg
    IMG_9872.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 7
  • IMG_2061.jpeg
    IMG_2061.jpeg
    2.2 MB · Views: 7
  • IMG_2084.jpeg
    IMG_2084.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 6
  • IMG_2088.jpeg
    IMG_2088.jpeg
    5 MB · Views: 6
  • IMG_2095.jpeg
    IMG_2095.jpeg
    2.9 MB · Views: 7
  • IMG_2118.jpeg
    IMG_2118.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 14
  • IMG_2101.jpeg
    IMG_2101.jpeg
    3.7 MB · Views: 24
  • IMG_2123.jpeg
    IMG_2123.jpeg
    2.3 MB · Views: 24
  • IMG_2115.jpeg
    IMG_2115.jpeg
    1 MB · Views: 27
  • IMG_2345.jpeg
    IMG_2345.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 24
  • IMG_2106.jpeg
    IMG_2106.jpeg
    4.1 MB · Views: 24
  • IMG_2122.jpeg
    IMG_2122.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 25
  • IMG_2345.jpeg
    IMG_2345.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 28
  • IMG_2312.jpeg
    IMG_2312.jpeg
    2.7 MB · Views: 28
  • IMG_2325.jpeg
    IMG_2325.jpeg
    2.9 MB · Views: 30
  • IMG_2343.jpeg
    IMG_2343.jpeg
    2.1 MB · Views: 30
  • IMG_0314.jpeg
    IMG_0314.jpeg
    2.4 MB · Views: 29
  • IMG_2352.jpeg
    IMG_2352.jpeg
    2 MB · Views: 22
  • IMG_0343.jpeg
    IMG_0343.jpeg
    2.7 MB · Views: 32
  • IMG_2383.jpeg
    IMG_2383.jpeg
    2.4 MB · Views: 29
  • IMG_2398.jpeg
    IMG_2398.jpeg
    2.5 MB · Views: 26
  • IMG_2427.jpeg
    IMG_2427.jpeg
    3.8 MB · Views: 26
  • IMG_2430.jpeg
    IMG_2430.jpeg
    2.9 MB · Views: 31
  • IMG_2431.jpeg
    IMG_2431.jpeg
    2.7 MB · Views: 29
Last edited:
Fast forward to the 3rd week of October when we had planned to make our original big trip to WY in search of both of our buffalo, but now we were luckily only looking for one. In the meantime, we enlisted the help of a college friend that has been in love with the American bison forever, as a packer.

IMG_0314.jpeg
IMG_2343.jpeg

This trip turned out to be a whole lot colder and much more difficult to find buffalo on national forest land.
IMG_0343.jpeg

Randy would be proud of the grouse hunt!

IMG_2325.jpeg

Fast forward to the morning of day 7 and the last day that we were going to hunt and we found a group of bison on national forest that we had put to bed about 300 yards on the wrong side of the boundary line the night before. It was a brisk 9 degrees and as calm and crisp as could be. My brother made a stalk into close range. He had happily traded in the bow he lugged around all week for the rifle on the last day. A couple of shots later and we were standing over our 2nd buffalo in less than a month.

IMG_2383.jpeg
IMG_2398.jpeg

This time we had set up arrangement with a packer before hand and boy was it a game changer!

IMG_2427.jpeg

We were loaded up and back to the truck by 1pm.

IMG_2430.jpeg

Time to celebrate!
IMG_2345.jpeg

IMG_2431.jpeg

Fruits of the labor!

Now back to reality of driving desks for a living and pouring over what tags we can draw for next year. Hopefully everyone else will post their hunt recaps to keep us going for the rest of the year.

As the other brother in the story I too want to thank everyone who contributed information for this hunt!! It was an absolute blast and a year that will not be soon forgotten!!! Oh and by the way.... Bison tacos were on the menu for tonight and the family not disappointed!!! Bison meat for the win!!! Thanks Hunt Talk Nation!!!

Dream season right there. Congrats to you and your crew. Thanks for sharing here.

Congrats !
If you thought is was cold in October, be glad you are not hunting in January.
The gals in the Jackson office are really great with info and any help they can give.
Bison tag holders should be calling them weekly til they start moving over towards the refuge, then call every few days. They took time to call me when they started moving for my cow tag.
Send that back half of your hide to Moyle for tanning, they do great work and are very good price. They can do the whole hide if no shoulder mount .

Back