Save $100 on the Leupold VX-3HD

Walmart Requiring Registration to Buy Ammo

jabber

Stopped in at the local walmart last night to pick up a few items including a box of 100 shotgun shells. Went to check out and the cashier asked for my DL. Being well over the age of 18 I knew he could tell I was legal to buy them, so I asked why. He said he needed it to register the purchase. After a few choice words, he did not get my DL, but I didn't get the ammo neither. Has anybody else experienced this?

Stopped in at the local walmart last night to pick up a few items including a box of 100 shotgun shells. Went to check out and the cashier asked for my DL. Being well over the age of 18 I knew he could tell I was legal to buy them, so I asked why. He said he needed it to register the purchase. After a few choice words, he did not get my DL, but I didn't get the ammo neither. Has anybody else experienced this?
It's funny you mention that, it has been the law in NY for several years, whether it's Wal Mart, or the local gun store. However, I don't recall being asked the last couple of times I bought ammo. I wonder if that law has changed...? Wal Mart seems to have been attempting a slow exit from gun stuff for years, now.

Did you ask why they registered it? More likely than not it's not to send a report to the government. Most of the time in retail they register a product for return and quality assurance purposes. Say somebody has a round explode and you have the same lot number. You take it back and they verify you bought it there and hand you a new box.

Most large stores that sell ammo as well as everything else will require photo id for ammo purchases.

If you order online, you have to provide your DL so you can show proof of age, etc. I'm sure that this is a corporate policy related to liability, not Walmart looking to start a database on who's buying ammo.

I don't sweat something like that. SD requires the pharmacy swipe your DL for Mucinex...

Ultimately what do you fear about them swiping your DL? Entering you into a database as a known ammo purchaser?

Many retail outlets in the States last fall were "registering" ammo sales because they had daily limits on purchases to stop hoarding and give everyone (especially tourists with $$$) an opportunity to hunt. By registering they could keep track and stop the greedy assholes who made multiple same day purchases.

Here in Ontario ammo purchases have been registered for as long as I can remember. Buyer must produce his federal possession photo ID. It's a good thing. If a person can't legally possess a gun then he/she has no business possessing ammo. It's a slight inconvenience but I see the reasoning so it doesn't bother me at all.

If you're going to chew out some harmless checker over something so completely out of their control, I hope you have the gall to never give Wally World another penny of your money, whether it be for food, clothes, tires, electronics, etc. I understand the annoyance with the process, but letting the checker have it is like chewing out a waitress for the chef overcooking your steak. The guy wasn't infringing on your 2A rights, he's taking the steps to properly check you and your ammo out. 🙄

My guess is he had to input your birthday. They do that here. They don't use your DL#. By requiring the clerk to put in the birthday, Walmart has assurance they are not selling to an underage buyer. The clerk said "register" but my guess is he didn't know what he was talking about. But that is just a guess based on our local Walmart.

Worries for nothing

You were on camera every second you were in the store, the parking lot, the gas stations you drove by. The card you used is tracked, there and everywhere else you purchase anything.

Heck, with all the game cams around, chances are you walk by many in the woods, mountains, etc. every time you’re out.

Nobody’s coming for your guns and ammo, not in this country.

It's just semantics of how the clerk described it - the term 'Register' the sale (in the POS system) does not mean they are 'registering' your personal information on some list. It's a required part of an age-restricted transaction and their Sales Audit process needs to have a check that a DOB was associated to the sale.

They likely also have cameras over each register that are sampled to confirm ID Checks of age-restricted item sales (e.g. when my local Safeway gas station guy checks my ID every week to buy Copenhagen, even though I know him - and with my greying beard I am very obviously >18 - the eye in the sky is tracking and not checking ID's can result in penalties/writeups/termination).

Worries for nothing

You were on camera every second you were in the store, the parking lot, the gas stations you drove by. The card you used is tracked, there and everywhere else you purchase anything.

Heck, with all the game cams around, chances are you walk by many in the woods, mountains, etc. every time you’re out.

Nobody’s coming for your guns and ammo, not in this country.

Your phone also provides you with a detailed timeline of where you went, and which places you stopped at, as do 1/2 of the apps on your phone.

Unless you were in New Orleans after hurricane Katrina and the National Guard was confiscating your guns. One instance does not a conspiracy make, but it did happen here in the good ol' US of A.

The conspiracy around those 552 firearms that were confiscated and returned does make for a great conspiracy though, regardless of the truth around what happened to cause that confiscation.

Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tvrguy
Back